Started by Private User on Sunday, May 23, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts
Private User
5/23/2010 at 7:29 AM

I'm having a really hard time trying to straighten up the Boone tree. There are too many unreachable managers. Can anyone give me a hand?

Could you tag a profile or two? (Put the profile ID between [[ ]] double square brackets). This will also get more "publicity" to this problem as both the managers of these profiles and anyone who happens to look at the profiles, will be able to see that there is a discussion about them.

Could you mention some managers by name

Private User
5/25/2010 at 7:18 AM

Jan Watkins
Steven Kelley
Melanie Fox
Linda Fox
David Arthur Patrick

There are others, but these have been the longest hold outs. I'll see about tagging, but can I tag them if I don't have collaboration or management privileges?

5/25/2010 at 11:19 AM

Vincent I tuck over some of Linda Fox's Profiles... That might help maybe Fox's are one of my surnames....

You can tag any profile that you can see the profile page for.

5/25/2010 at 12:03 PM

If you're talking about Col. Daniel Boone, I'm collaborating with a number of managers there. What exactly are you trying to straighten up?

5/26/2010 at 1:47 PM

I, too, have been trying to work through the merge/zombie issues with my GGGGG GF Daniel Boone, the famed explorer (I believe he was senior, as there is a son with same name, but I could be wrong).

5/26/2010 at 2:05 PM

Daniel, we have a new zombie-killer script (I love this job) that has to be run in a localized area of the tree. I just ran it on Boone, and it turned up about 250 zombies to take care of. Check those profiles again and let me know if that took care of your zombie infestation.

With a couple hundred zombies (at least 590), I just asked Noah to try his latest zombie-killing script on Daniel Morgan Boone Sr. Let's see how good it is. :-)

5/26/2010 at 2:29 PM

but can we kill zombies with it,zombies that we usualy not can fix ?

if so,the script need to be given to the masses so we can actualy do some good.
not doing anything here any more,becose i`m blocked by zombies all over.

What are zombies and how can I help get rid of them?

Timothy,
this link should answer your question. Feel free to send it to whoever you like. I suggest sending to all new collaborators of yours, because "zombies" will block collaboration.

http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000007144223232

ty

Private User
6/3/2010 at 7:57 AM

Here is my problem with the people who wish to merge with me on my Boone family. The compare profile comes up but then it starts this where husband of several entries for wife, then father of will show the same as I have but then states there are 62 others, the same with brothers I have the same names but then the profile I am being requested to merge with has 91 others. I am sorry but it is only the Boone side of my family who is coming up in this manner. I would love to merge and or collaborate but there is no way that I can when the profile shows this issue. Could someone please tell me what is going on.

Julie

Private User
6/3/2010 at 9:12 AM

Hi Julie, I see that constantly. Then there are the "Add this person" spouses with children whose profiles are locked. Even if you can add the spouses names and merge them, the children can't be merged because they are locked.

Then there are the misplaced generations. George Boone II as father of George Boone IV, etc. and you can't move them or merge them.

There are merges that can't be completed because it would "split the tree".

There are mothers that apparently gave birth well into their 60's and had 35 different sons and 25 different daughters!

Mismatched names and data.

People who seem to have just attached their tree to the Boone tree with an "Add this person", but when you search the Boone archives online, you can't find any way that tree is related to that generation.

All that said, MERGES ARE ESSENTIAL! If the primary data matches the profile and you're sure it's the same person, then you need to merge. Then start working on the related merge issues. If you are unsure of the merge, don't do it. If you know it's incorrect, unmerge it. It only takes a few seconds.

If you're not already, join the collaboration pool like I did and let some of the others help clean things up. Doing nothing only compounds the problem. If everyone would stay actively involved and help each other, the problems would be minimal. The Boone tree is my tree too, so grab your garden gloves and let's get busy! ;)

Private User
6/3/2010 at 9:22 AM

Oh, and by the way. I have unanswered merge requests with 49 other Boone connected managers. If they would collaborate with me, then I could have already had many of these problems corrected.

6/3/2010 at 9:50 AM

I'm happy to help out with these merges as well. When you run into the cross-generational merges like George Boone II and George Boone IV, the best thing to do is to undo the merge even if that means we'll later have to reconnect them when they turn up as tree matches. Failing that, let me know and I can use our admin tools to sort out the mess.

Private User
6/3/2010 at 9:54 AM

Thanks Michael!

Private User
6/4/2010 at 7:31 AM

Thank you everyone. I am glad to see that there are people willing an ready to help in any way possible. I will merge my Boone line, but first I will tie myself into a chair so as not to fall out of it when the issues hit. This is why I have not merged with anyone as yet to my line because I seen so many issues and did not understand why and did not want to be left holding the bag so to speak.

Private User
6/4/2010 at 7:47 AM

Thanks Julie! Don't worry! Mistakes will be made but as long as you cooperate and collaborate, they can be found and fixed. You might also find other's mistakes and help out there. Help is what we need the most of, especially in this tree!

Private User
6/4/2010 at 7:47 AM

Now, what to do about Steven Kelley? :)

Private User
6/11/2010 at 12:28 PM

Hello all! I had taken a hiatus from genealogy for awhile. Vince, I approved collaboration with you. I'll be honest, there's so many major issues with the Boone line that I haven't added to or touched it in quite awhile. I'm letting the people I'm collaborating with handle all of that. So I wish you guys luck with it :)

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Private User
6/11/2010 at 1:05 PM

Thanks Autumn!

Private User
6/18/2010 at 6:11 AM

Hi Everyone;

Okay I just received a merge request from Victoria Austin for George Boone II, the manager of this is a Rod A. Aanervd. There is a 10 year diff. in Birth an Death. Should I merge this profile or not??? Just wondering if this one is off 10 years what his others are that he has entered creating even a large mess pool. What say you? I can merge an then go take Aspirin to ward off the pain LOL.

Private User
6/18/2010 at 8:26 AM

Private User
If all the other information is right -- correct parents, correct spouse, correct country or state, go ahead and merge. Once the stacked-up merges are completed, a "Conflicting Information" screen comes up and the correct data can then be selected.

Not everyone is scrupulous in checking the data they enter, not all internet sources have the correct data, and, typos happen. There are several dedicated Boone descendants working on this portion of the tree. The mistakes will be corrected.

Private User
9/27/2010 at 5:45 AM

Okay here it is. I found a survey and VA. Land Pantent for a Jonathan Boone from Warrent , survey an the Govenors hand to paper on Nov. 25,1781, May 15,1785, Sept. 25,1787, for the County of Fayette. Which was still a part of the District of Virginia an did not become a Ky. Co., until June 1,1792 when Ky. became a state. Jonathan is found still in Rowan Co., N. C. in 1781. They believe he showed up in Ky. around 1783 an was working at Squire's Mill. How do I go about finding out if this is Jonathan Boone the Older brother of Daniel?

9/27/2010 at 2:22 PM

Hi, everyone. As a curator with a special interest in the Boone tree, I've been working on cleaning it up the past couple of weeks. I've designated Master Profiles for, and locked down, a few generations of Georges (and their wives) that people kept merging together. I'm following the Boone Society research as my guiding research--if you have any concerns or well-documented corrections to that, please let me know.

As you know, there is missing information on dates for some of the generations, and rather than put in guesstimates, I'm leaving the unproven dates blank for now.

I definitely want to make sure that we begin to amass good solid documentation for this family, so I invite all of you to include and attach documents and sources that you might find. Right now I'm the only one who can edit the About Me sections of the locked profiles--we're trying to get Geni to make it so that basic data and relationships can be locked while unlocking the About Me section, and hopefully that will come in the next month or so.

One of the delights of being a curator is that I have the ability to merge all those public profiles that we've been having blocked for a year or more, so now the Kelleys and others should be merged in. I haven't gotten to some of the other children and cousins yet, so if you see others that need to be merged, please stack them and message me with the URL and I can complete them.

Thanks also to @Faustine Humphries who has been doing a lot of work on the Boones recently.

Pam

Private User
10/31/2010 at 12:35 AM

I have some documents that link Levica Boone ( Daniel's granddaughter ) to the John Cawfield,Sr. of Ash Grove, MO.
It's just a matter of finding them! LOL!

10/31/2010 at 12:16 PM

Hi, Robert. I'm glad you bumped this discussion up to the top. I also wanted to let everyone know that there is now a Boone Project on Geni and I invite all Boone descendants to get involved:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Boone+and+de+Bohun+Family+Project

4/30/2017 at 12:29 AM

I've seen from some descendants of Daniel Boone explorer, that Morgan was the middle name of his son... Daniel Morgan Boone, but Explorer Boone, was simply Daniel Boone. Or dies anyone have a source, listing him (Explorer Boone), as Daniel Morgan Boone, anywhere?

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion