Started by Private User on Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 22 posts
Private User
4/27/2010 at 9:40 PM

I am demerging incorrect merges with Ephraim Bradford. People have been merging any-old-body on this profile.

He's merged with William Southworth, Nathaniel Morton, and a few others including another person with a similar name but generations away.

It started off with over 90 pending merges on Ephraim. I'm demerging the people who are NOT him. Please don't be careless and merge names that are nowhere near the same. William Southworth is NOTHING like Ephraim Bradford....unless I need new glasses.

;)

4/28/2010 at 4:42 AM

Mimi,

I have seen that with other profiles as well.

Private User
4/28/2010 at 5:36 AM

Any specific manager name you suspect have done the connectiopn?

4/28/2010 at 5:54 AM

Mimi- What a mess! I don't know how you get the courage to tackle it.

Private User
4/28/2010 at 8:54 AM

I just didn't want to say names, Bjorn! I thought I'd just handle it and fix it the best I could. Now I'm stuck in a knot where it won't let me merge certain profiles saying, "You can't merge this profile with its ancestor." LOL

I had to go above the mess and see where it all begins! It's a pain in the butt.

Private User
4/28/2010 at 8:59 AM

Kevin, I have seen it with other profiles, but it seemed like one or 2 were merged, this had about 90 different people. I had to open up a separate tab in order to merge the correct people together without losing any info about the people I was de-merging.
It's caused people to be married to their daughter-in-law.
Married to themselves.
Married to someone who is not related at all.
Married to a descendant (grandchild with the same name).

I'm like WTF, how can someone be THAT careless? William Southworth is nowhere near Ephraim Bradford! LOL And it was multiple times...because there were other names too, like the surname Morton was mixed in and other Bradfords that were not Ephraim.

4/28/2010 at 9:06 AM

I've run into a similar case about 2 months ago and I'm not so sure it was just due to a wrong merges, I think, perhaps there is some kind of a glitch in the system when uploading a Gedcom file, and also when I've strated to undo them it didn't quite let me do so; did you run into such problems?

Private User
4/28/2010 at 9:14 AM

Ofir, I didn't run into too many problems unmerging. It's the part of merging the correct people back together...I have to physically click to their profiles and check their parents to make sure they aren't merged with incorrect parents, and so forth. Because it's a domino effect of incorrect merges...

It actually kinda little bit, sorta pisses me off! I can't believe someone would be so careless! I remember when I had the biblical tree done and someone began merging the tree with faeries and dragons and crap...I was so mad I gave up that entire tree.

Private User
4/28/2010 at 11:10 AM

Hello, All ... I've read the above conncerns, and so sorry; what a mess. It takes someone of Great Courage to work to unknot the scramble! I like to do merges, and have been working many hours of late, to pull together the great greats, and they go back to 551, or so. (I've never heard of Bradford, Morton, Ephraim, et al.!) When I'm working on the profiles, I make doubly/triply sure it's the same person! And, when in doubt, I just don't! There have been a few odd ones, where the generations (with same names) are possible merges. I try to catch those, using the dates/maiden names, and refer them back to the managers for a decision. Fun, frustrating and fascinating! Kitty

Private User
4/28/2010 at 11:39 AM

Ephraim's family is connected to Joseph Smith, and then as you go further into his tree, you end up getting tangled into an abyss of geni-mess...

4/28/2010 at 4:51 PM

Hello Living,
How does it happen that people merge your Eph with another person that does not have a similar name or birth date etc? Does it happen on merge issues or similar profiles? Wouldn't you have to approve it if you are the manager? Not sure how that happens yet.

Private User
4/28/2010 at 5:19 PM

Hi Lois. I think what happens is that they might go looking for similar names, stack them...the parents end up being different, and they try to continue the merges until they hit a dead-end (someone they do not collaborate with owns a profile they want to merge)...or they give up after they realize they messed up. I guess it's like quietly tiptoeing out.

Meanwhile, someone else sees a name that is familiar and wants to merge and then it ends up being an even bigger mess...and they decide not to tackle it...and here comes me...waddling in looking at a big tangle and then dip my nose in where it really doesn't belong but it irks me to see a mess...and I try and clean it up...

LOL

4/28/2010 at 9:51 PM

In general, I'm not sure that people are actually trying to merge but some of them are just stacking profiles and leave us the job to resolve that mess.
Stacking profiles is not merging !!!

Private User
4/28/2010 at 11:38 PM

Ofir, exactly!! I wish the stacking only allowed one to stack profiles that one is collaborating with. Once stacked, it's almost impossible to undo them since the whole tree gets overlaped. I try to avoid stacking because there is no way of knowing which managers I am stacking. I work within the profiles as much as possible. Also wish there was a way to remove a person that you know won't merge and has no collaborators from the whole tree. Boy, would that be nice!

4/29/2010 at 12:21 AM

Goodmorning!

I like to show an example of how it is possible to make stacks with either unmergable profiles or wrongly connected profiles (generation loops.
I have the last days worked with stacks of up to 187 stacked profiles (Constance, Adelaide, Guillaume for example)

In some stacks one can think someone s crazy and stack Barbara, Susann and Anne together. Or all Williams of the world in one big mess, just ignoring the suffix I, II, III, IV or V!

And checking the signatures there are names of all of us! and we just k n o w that that manager would not e v e r make such a bad merge.

So - why does it happen? Is it in the system? No. I think it is most often due to a bad connections and very often a bad connection of husband/wife.

So - let's say you merge Emma (and then leave the stack) Someone else is merging Adelaide. 20 Emmas and 40 Adelaides.
Now - if one of the Emmas is wrongly connected to the husband of Adelaide, all the Emmas and Adelaides can end up in the same stack = chaos.

This is very common where the names are similair or when it is tricky to realize which Constance belongs to wich Robert and it takes just one bad connection to end up with 187 unmergable Constances in a stack.

What I then think is strange, is that some users repeadately go on merging stacks that have generayion loops, and just leaving them.

If "you" make a merge - follow it up and take care of the stacks!

I have had a generation loop problem in the Robert II de France profile. I merged one profile at a time, trying to figure out where the bad connection was. It took hours, but I found it!!!!! I am now trying to diconnect the hughs and adelaides from the source where the bad conections started.

Sorry for this long explanation, hope it gave some unswers - and please please be careful and just do one Constance, Adelaide, Emma, Arsinde, Guillaume, William at a time.

/Susanna
PS: And don't take the "merge-signature" as a receipt of who made that bad merge.

4/29/2010 at 4:39 AM

Susanna, I totally agree. The key to fixing this mess is to remove the bad relationship connections.

4/29/2010 at 12:43 PM

@David Embry
I have a beautiful example here
Fulk V, King of Jerusalem
If you have the time - undo is the first thing to do (137 stacked in unmergable stack)

And then I suspect the different Gerberges to be a key, but it's just a gutfeeling, I don't have time to check it just now.

Susanna,
here is a minor short-cut to undo a stack like that:

1) If you just want to undo ALL of the stack, then starting from the end of the list (via the "carousel" at the bottom), open each one in a new tab (in Firefox this can easily be done, by clicking the middle/wheel button of the mouse). You can/should open about 10-20 at a time.
2) While they are all loading, you go back to the first tab you opened and press the "undo merge" button.
3) Without moving the mouse, change to the next tab by clicking Ctrl+Tab. This way you can work through all of the tabs you opened and very quickly undo a whole bunch.
4) After the bunch is done, close all of the tabs except for one, reload that page, and do another bunch, again starting from the end.

4/29/2010 at 4:02 PM

Shmuel:
yes, I use a similair method =) but most often I like to check the profiles in the hunt for the bad connections /wrong set of parents etc - that's why it takes so long time.

Please give me the trick to find the bad connections too!

One small trick to find the bad merge:

1) Go to the actual profile of the "stack".
2) Look at the lists of parents, spouses and children.
3) IF you can identify the wrong connection by their name, then click on the link to THAT profile (of parent / spouse / child).
4) Now look for the name of the profile you STARTED from, and click on it.
5) In most cases, this will take you to the specific profile in the stack, that is wrongly merged.
6) If you click on the "e. View his other profiles and complete the pending merges." link in this profile, it will take you to the correct place in the stack to undo.

Yes, this is a bit like going in circles, but it mostly works.

4/29/2010 at 5:19 PM

I am glad that this discussion has blossomed into some great instruction.
Thanks to PRO-Genies. I can hardly wait for the weekend when I can spend as much time as I want using your ideas and fixing some messes. Also, after an idea from GENI forum I will be setting up separate account for my inlaw trees so I can get GENI automatic tree matches working on them too. Up to date there are about 20,000 relatives all together and most of them are in the forest (inlaw trees). Want to move them around.
TTFN

Private User
4/30/2010 at 3:49 PM

Susanna and Shmuel, I do both...it ticked me off to see Ephraim mixed with about 5 other unrelated people with different wives, parents, and kids stacked! Good grief.

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion