• Private
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 241-270 of 1468 posts

@ Maria Edmonds-Zediker

Regarding Americans and second languages, once again, Google to the rescue - under "Settings", select Geni Labs and voile! Instant translation possibilities!

@ Jennifer Dongvillo Archibald

Yes, I know about that -- I use Chrome for my browser, I do love Google products! I have used the translator to try to find more info on my father's family.

I will probably go back sometime and read all those "mysterious" Danish, Swedish and Norwegian pages one day.

thanks for the tip and for thinking of me,
Regards,
Maria

@Berit Olsen

OK
@Kjell Brynjulf Bakkmyr

@Susanna Barnevik: "If someone on this list "flat out denies" collaboration from another member of the list, he/she should not be in it. (above)
Suggestions on what to do, Jason?"

I'm not sure.
My immediate "gut" reaction is to name names.
Let everyone know who is denying requests, but I'd like to hear other opinions on this.

Jason P Herbert

Susanna Barnevik,
Do you know why this person is not collaborating after joining the group? Is is wide-spread or is there an issue with a particular profile? If there's a valid reason, this person deserves a chance to explain his/her reason. If it's a flat-out refusal to play nice, yes, name names and drop him/her from the pool.

Susanna at least have accepted my Collaboration

I have 4 person in list who isn't yet accepted the collaboration request
Today I've sended reminder to them

Might be someone knows that actually they are left

James Wright ROBINSON
Reidar SIGLEIF Lorentzen
Colleen Allman Williams
Mona Lisa Odding

Might be there is some technical problem why they don't respond

Henn

Susanna Engberg Barnevik is very active in merging issues almost every day and gest a lot of forwards from a lot of us others. So she migt have found theese collaborating request less important to answer than fix merge requests.

Kjell Odding I contact Mona Odding - she is my sister, maybe she dont know what is expected of her

@Cecilie Nygård:
@Henn Sarv:

That's NOT what I was saying.

Susanna was the one who POSTED what I quoted.

I was replying to Susanna.

Please folks... 3rd grade reading comprehension should not be too much to ask... even if English is a secondary language.

Jason P Herbert

@Private User: That's odd... he accepted my request. Wonder why he stopped accepting requests?

Jason P Herbert

Barbara,
Although orthogonal to this discussion, I thought I'd share publicly the following regarding Spanish naming convention, for the benefit of all.

Using Pablo Benitez Barreto (of Uruguay), whom you mention, as an example, Benitez is not his middle name, it is his paternal surname, while Barreto is his maternal surname.

This very useful naming convention allows disambiguating multiple generations where the first-born son was traditionally given the same first name as his father.

Private User
Susanna Barnevik
Michael T Lancaster
No response from these: Pablo Herman, Aleta, Solon Constantine White,
Webster, Kathy McDermott.

Louis Watt - are they (above) participating in this collaborating pool?

All - give the requests some time to get answered!! My only question was about the person who denied a request. I have not gotten any denies myself.

Jason - I think you should ask that collaborator why he refuse collaboration with someone in the pool.

And, Jason! What a wonderful idea this Collaboration Pool is. Thanks again! And many thanks to Henn for the indeed interesting data and statistics.

Mr. Sarv. Of the ones you mention only James Wright ROBINSON has not yet replied to my invitation to collaberate.

Silly question but if we did the @ and our name did we need to do anything else?

you need to either wait for the pool-members to send you requests or you send requests to everybody that are added to the list.

Colleen Allman Williams has accepted my request, so I know she's active.
James Robinson has accepted, as well.
The other two are still pending.

I found a site posting ship passenger lists in the 1600's
http://www.packrat-pro.com/ships/shipnamesM.htm

Milton John Burk
Wow! thank you!

Private User Sorry for the delay... Please give us time to reply! I know that at least Noah and I are inundated with merge requests. It can be difficult to balance limited online time with the actual work of cleaning up the tree and accepting collaboration requests. I certainly didn't intend to offend you!

Looking forward to collaborating with you,
Jenna (Jennifer Dongvillo Archibald)

@Barbara Jean Shepard:
Same here with Knud Munk; he wanted to know WHY I sent him a collaboration message! He joined the pool, after all. Besides the fact that he "assumes" we'll be messing up the big tree..

Dear Janice Weeks Hollenczer
Please indicate what precisely you want to collaborate about.
Best regards,
Knud Munk

Second message:
Subject: Collaboration
Please contact me again when you experience that (I'd written he joined the pool, and it was for facilitating merges from those not participating)
and I can help. It is important that this initiative should be just to facilitate unjustified mergers, which created a mess in large parts of the Big Tree.
Best regards,
Knud Munk

I try to remember to include the words "collaboration pool" in the collaboration request message. So far, so good!! :))

So du I, and I try to remember this to everyone else:

"I am a member of the collaboration pool! “If You are interested in actively merging and such in the tree, we will all benefit from you joining the Collaboration Pool: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000008539319639 This will help you find people who will help complete merges and resolve problems for you".

@Michael Trevor Lancaster
they are marked as living,becose they are coming from the big number of gedcom files that has been uploaded to geni.
and that geni,just can`t find a smart idea on how to fix the problem.

so thats why,we all have to spend hours up on hours to solve it all manualy.
while geni,have a big laugh about it all.

atleast that is what it feels like,when they answer that they suppose to have fixed it some time back.
and that there "might" be "some" profiles left out there with this problem (zombies).

Jason Herbert and/or Henn Sarv, please take measures to remove Private from the Collaboration Pool. It is clearly evident that he does not wish to participate in the Collaboration Pool, based on a rather lengthy response I received from him inquiring why I wished to collaborate with him. I made it quite clear in my request that the request was as a result of his desire to participate in the Collaboration Pool.

Fellow collaborators, please do yourself a favor, and do not request collaboration with Private. Thanks.

Dave.

[Woops, silly me, forgot the damn link]

Hello all,
yes so-called "zombie" profiles are a major problem in the shared historical tree. With the recent changes Geni made regarding privacy, they actually made the situation somewhat worse - Unless a profile is marked as public, you can now only "kill" it, if you belong to the manager's Family Group.

I may already have posted this here before, but it is always good to have around - Here is a brief procedure how to easily kill zombies, 20 at a time:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000007144223232

You can also add a colomn with "age" - it also give good info

Showing 241-270 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion