• Private
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 1321-1350 of 1468 posts

I am happy to collaborate. Camille Calman

I wish I'd found this thread a month ago when I first upgraded to Pro. Better late than never. I am definitely up for collaboration. I have just become involved with the Iceland Master Project, and I have found a large number of duplicate entries among the Icelandic ancestors here. Private User

The other problem with trying to fix mistakes in the trees even if you can collect enough permissions to fix a problem in the tree it just take one person to enter a profile as <private> and then combine the profile you entered as public with theirs and all of a sudden you no longer have permission to edit the profile and I have been removed as the manager. I can't edit most of the living people in my family unless I add them in again but them within a few weeks they become private again. I hope that the collaboration pool can some how be able to get around this problem as well.
Mary Curtis Wilhelm
marywilhelm12@yahoo.com

All living people are private. You can only see them if they're within your family group, or if you're a manager of the profile.

If you really need to be able to modify them, add a close relative as a family member (special option). Then they get to edit your close family, and you get to edit theirs.

That said - if you have a specific instance of losing access to a profile that you worry about, send me a link to it in a private message, and I can have a closer look.

I've been doing genealogy for long enough that I completely understand the privacy issues involved (having past experience in retail and as a computer and network technician also gives me appreciation for them).

On the other hand, anyone who was born ~120 years ago or earlier should be public except in unusual situations. I've seen a few profiles here that are private and yet the people in question are from the 1500s or earlier!

This does not help the duplicates problem, as when people find a connection that they can't make because the profile is private, the expedient thing to do (even if it's not the right thing to do) is simply create the person again. I was guilty of that myself when I was first getting my tree started, because I was still figuring out how connections were made (and, honestly, I'm still figuring out the finer points of data preservation in merges).

I suggest that there should be some way to prevent any clearly historical profile (and by that I mean anyone who was born at least ~120 years ago, as noted above) from being made private, unless the profile owner has good reason for doing so (which would mean that such actions would have to be moderated). The problem that Mary Ellen Wilhelm mentions is a critical one. The underlying problem here is deceased people still listed as living, and I believe that I saw a separate discussion on that subject. A question for the curators on this thread: is there an easy way to automate such corrections for historical profiles?

Mary, if you have problems with another profile manager altering profiles you manage (ie making deceased profiles private) you can ask a curator to make them public and MP the deceased profile.

Jackson, when you come across private profile before 1850, add the private profile into the zombie discussion and the curators will fix them. I also add profiles between 1850 and 1900 (the world's oldest person is 115) and sometimes they fix them and sometimes they don't. I think the 50 years is like a safety buffer.

The other problem with trying to fix mistakes in the trees even if you can collect enough permissions to fix a problem in the tree it just take one person to enter a profile as <private> and then combine the profile you entered as public with theirs and all of a sudden you no longer have permission to edit the profile and I have been removed as the manager. I can't edit most of the living people in my family unless I add them in again but them within a few weeks they become private again. I hope that the collaboration pool can some how be able to get around this problem as well.
Mary Curtis Wilhelm
marywilhelm12@yahoo.com

We are really getting off topic in this discussion This is for requests for collaboration.

Yes not only is there the problems with "zombies" but there is also a problem with people combining the profile of living people in account which are set to public with a similar profile which has been created in an account set to private when using the "Resolve Duplicates" function which automatically makes the profile which was originally open for collaboration a private profile that can no longer be edited or accessed by the creator of the profile. The profile is marked as <private> and there is no way to edit. @marycurtiswilhelm

Mary Ellen Wilhelm - you are mistaken. When a Private Profile is merged with a Public Profile, the result is by default Public. And any profile you are a Manager of you can see and edit -whether Public or Private. On the other hand - if you merge into the Max Family of another user, and that profile is not in your Max Family, then Geni gives them the explicit right and ability to remove you as a Manager. And any manager of the Profile or member of the Profile's Max Family can make the Profile Private -tho if the Profile is old enough, you can appeal to Curators to make them Public (again) - but none of this is a topic for this discussion -so please take it elsewhere if you want to continue discussing any of this.
(this is my off-topic comment in answer to Mary's off-topic issue thrice-stated here;
I have no desire to be part of the Collaboration pool! )

@Catherine Anne Robertson

User profiles are special. By default, only the users themselves can edit their profile.
It's possible for the user to let others edit their profile, but they have to change this setting themselves.

It's possible for curators to merge or change an user's profile; we mostly do that only when the change is *really* obvious *and* the user has been absent for a long time.i

Hi, I'd love to help out (especially in the Visconti line, where I've noted a few homonym errors, perhaps - see Theobaldo Visconti!)
Marie Janice Patureau

@Susanna Johanna (Venter) Steyn

@ Nakea Poulson

Private User

Private User

Private User

Happy to collaborate.

I'm from Estonia but seems that there are pretty wide blood connections all over (Northern) Europe.
Private User

@Susanna Johanna Venter

@AngeliqueHowen

Yes Judith Lee Flamer

Does anyone know how to merge a person, have it happen apparently successfully by the names added to the "Managed by" header, but not have the merge removed from the mergers still to be done. This has happened three times to me in past session, yet other worked fine by merging and being deleted from the merge list.

Showing 1321-1350 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion