Can I have your help with my merges??

Started by Private User on Thursday, March 25, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 211-240 of 254 posts

PS, I did NOT remove any large branches of trees from ANY profile EVER. For a while my ancestor list showed I had over 40,000 ancestors and now I'm down to less than 25,000 ancestors in about a month's period.

@Crowned HIM...
Roger de Montalt

Regarding this tree, looking through the revisions, I have NEVER touched that profile which has been around since 2008.

You'll see my name throughout many family trees. I've built numerous trees for celebrities, friends, family of family, and random people I come across in books or television who aren't necessarily "known" people. I have added over 24,000 profiles "by hand" in Geni.com from North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Polynesian Islands. As a matter of fact, it seems you follow LOTS of profiles I created and/or co-manage, so of course you'll see my name all over the place.

Right, K , 'm not accusing you, I said YOUR name is the one that keeps popping up. Here is another Example, I am descent of all 7 Beaumont and all 7 Warren children of isabelle Vermandois Elisabeth de Vermandois, dame de Crépy
now she only has 9 kids and says i am descent of 2 - Why are the people and pathways going missing?

Does anyone understand the Question Yet?

THAT particular profile for Hugh Bigod you posted looks fairly new. It was created in 2011. I'm pretty sure if you search, there is probably a much older one somewhere with more than one manager. I'll try and merge him in and see if we end up with a match with children. :)

I found the ancestor you were looking for...Hugh Bigod is now merged with the Master Profile of Hugh Bigod.

Thanks, K, the whole tree needs a once over. I would wait a few months until The changes I was told about from Geni occur.

Yay, it says Hugh is my 26th great grand father now instead of uncles cousins brother's sisters, cousins father's uncles grandfather twice removed or whatever, LOL.

Yes, there are so many duplicates that I can see how it can confuse a person. There needs to be a serious merge and clean-up in that area. There are yellow triangles and blue dots galore.

Yes, and there wasn't a month ago, and the whole tree was starting to look complete. It seems 1 step forward 2 steps back has happened.

corey i had a look at your tree and noticed you had some Wills from Isle of Wight, do you know anything about them? thats near where mine came from...

Emma Marie Meader

I know they came were seated in Devon and some moved to Cornwall, Kent, and Isle of Wight. Willes is an older form of the name but no relation to Willis connected yet. Have you checked the Wills genome project yet?

Godshill is where we lived on the Isle and these family members were all very religious and wrote many books on religion over the generations.

yes ive had my DNA tested with the Wills genome project my wills came from kent, no DNA match with the devonshire wills

Some descendants: Lawrence and Sarah Wills, they had John (1813), James Hersey (1815), George (1817) and Henry Lawrence (1818) It is possible that this Lawrence Wills later joined the coast guard and died in 1829 on the Isle of Wight. http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/wills/pats

Oh no, I went to look at my papers from The Meader family association and can't find them, I hope they didn't go out to the recycle bin.

Kent is where some Willis families came from try finding a connect there. Willis seems to come from Ireland mostly. I am sure there is a connection. My Brothers family are Willis and they may be the same family but i have not found the connect yet.

my surname seems to have gones Wyles -> Willes -> Wills havent come across Willis in the line yet

although i did get a DNA match with a guy from Ireland 23 generations ago

Well, the Willis were in Ireland around 1300's which is the 21-23 mark of generations back. Maybe this is the link.

Yep, I searched everywhere and half of my Isle of wight family pages are missing, I think they ended up in some newspapers and went to the recycle bin. Took along time to get them too.

Hi again Corey. I checked out Elisabeth de Vermandois, dame de Crépy and she appears to have all her 14 children plus a few ... So K or Jason may have done some merging last night.

Another option to look for when relationships seem to go missing is to see if someone has hidden them. It's a misuse of Geni features based on misunderstanding how things work, but on profile view if you scroll down to Immediate Family at the bottom of the page and click Edit, you may see some names in the Hidden column. Names should never be hidden for historic profiles, but sometimes people do itthinking they are detaching profiles, perhaps. If you see anyone hidden please unhide them, and then they can be dealt with appropriately.

Another possibililty, of course, is that someone has in fact detached a spouse or child. In this case, I always look at the revisions history to see who and what has been done, and i look at the About Me to see if a note has been added to explain. If you feel the relationship has been detached in error, locate the missing person and reattach as well as contacting the curator of the profile.

Hope this helps. I'll be on the road for the rest of today, but please send me a private message if there are any of my curated profiles you have questions about. I've been traveling for the past month and my Anglo Norman profiles are in need of tending, so please alert me where you see problems. Thanks!

I think what happens is when one merge gets completed it brings in the rest of the family to get completed

Private - I think you may be correct.

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I found a few merges in my Resolve Data Conflict area that had the name of another curator on it. I resolved the first one because I trust this curator's work, but then I went and looked more carefully and thought that the merge may have been a bad one. So I contacted them. They said that they did not do that merge. I found two more merges with their names on them and they replied that they didn't do those either.

This tells me that (1) we should be careful in reviewing tree conflicts (pending merges) and in resolving data conflicts because we can't assume that the person whose name is on it as the Updated By is actually the person who suggested/initiated the merge and (2) we should not "blame" someone in discussions because their name is found on a merge, given whatever is causing this phenomenon.

Thanks Pam, ya i found the problem there with Isabel Elizabeth de Vermandois, Countess and merged it. It is back to normal again, There was a disconnect, and have been going back through and re-requesting all the disconnected merges. It is a phenomenon so I am taking a break and will get back to it after summer.

I will focus my attention now on the 300 missing yrs of Frieslanders and the Wills line, I have a hard time with the Dutch language and how they inherited names.

We see large stacks in data conflict. But we do not see how many are merging into other trees under one of the mergees names.

@Corey, did you check out your de Bohuns that you were worried about? I thnk I fixed them up alright but want to know if any problems still exist for you.

Showing 211-240 of 254 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion