Started by Private User on Thursday, February 11, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
2/11/2010 at 12:07 PM

If you’re involved in this Flemish line somehow, here’s a thread to collect information and resources, and discuss problem areas if needed.

If you have nothing to do with these people, click ”Unfollow” – top of the page.

Main genealogical source:
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/FLANDERS,%20HAINAUT.htm#Top

The Counts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_of_Flanders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counts_of_Flanders_family_tree

Private User
2/11/2010 at 12:09 PM

House of Flanders I

Baldwin I ‘Iron Arm’ (r. 860s-879), married Judith and was granted lands and honours, which would evolve into the County of Flanders.
Baldwin I "Iron-Arm", 1st margrave of Flanders

Baldwin I "Iron-Arm", 1st margrave of Flanders

Baldwin II ‘the Bald’ (r. 879-918), son of Baldwin I and Judith
Baldwin II "the Bald", count of Flanders

Baldwin II "the Bald", count of Flanders

Arnulf I ‘the Great’ (r. 918-964), son of Baldwin II, joinly with:
Arnulf I the Great, count of Flanders

Arnulf I the Great, count of Flanders

Baldwin III (r. 958-962), son of Arnulf I
Baldwin III, count of Flanders

Baldwin III, count of Flanders

Arnulf II (r. 964-988), son of Baldwin III
Arnulf II the Young, count of Flanders

Arnulf II the Young, count of Flanders

Baldwin IV ‘the Bearded’ (r. 988-1037), son of Arnulf II
Baldwin IV the Bearded, count of Flanders

Baldwin IV the Bearded, count of Flanders

Baldwin V of Lille (r. 1037-1067), son of Baldwin IV
Baldwin V, count of Flanders

Baldwin V, count of Flanders

Baldwin VI (de Mons) ‘le Bon’ (r. 1067-1070), son of Baldwin V, Count of Hainaut
Baldwin VI, count of Flanders and Hainault

Baldwin VI, count of Flanders and Hainault

Arnulf III (r. 1070-1071), son of Baldwin VI, Count of Hainaut
Arnulf III, count of Flanders

Arnulf III, count of Flanders

Robert I the Frisian (r. 1071-1093), son of Baldwin VI
Robert I, Count of Flanders

Robert I, Count of Flanders

Robert II (r. 1093-1111), son of Robert I
Robert II le Hiérosolymitain

Baldwin VII Hapkin (r. 1111-1119), son of Robert II

Private User
2/11/2010 at 12:14 PM

GEOGRAPHY
The geography of the county of Flanders only partially overlaps present day Flanders in Belgium.

The land covered by the county of Flanders is spread out over:

Belgium:
two of the five Flemish provinces: West-Flanders and East-Flanders
part of the Flemish province Antwerp: the land of Bornem
part of the Walloon province Hainaut: Tournai and the region around Moeskroen (that belonged to West-Flanders until 1962)

France:
French Flanders (in the Nord departement)
the French westcorner: the region around Dunkirk, Bergues and Bailleul, an area where Dutch used to be the main language
Artois (in the Pas-de-Calais department): removed from Flanders in 1191 and created as independent county in 1237

Netherlands: Zeelandic Flanders, a region between Belgium and the Western Scheldt, in the southern part of the province of Zeeland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_%28county%29

Private User
2/11/2010 at 12:15 PM

NAME FORMAT
We follow the ordinary ‘rule’ of using original language. Since we here have two, we try to incorporate both the French and the Dutch/Flemish versions (example using West-Flemish):

FIRST: Baudouin ‘le Pieux’
MIDDLE: Boudewyn
LAST: de Flandre
MAIDEN: van Vloandern

NICKNAMES: other languages and additional names

The English form should thus be put in the Nickname field only

The languages used in this area were old forms of Dutch/Flemish and French (not English), thus the names should be written in those languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Flemish

Map of the Dutch and Flemish languages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Languages_Benelux.PNG

Private User
2/11/2010 at 2:45 PM

anne,
great information. i will look at it when i get some time. in a crunch right at the moment. many are in my lines. i have not tried to straighten out most of the trees that far back because of the inordinate numbers of duplicates & confusion. great work, thank-you. i will start checking what i have and make corrections if necessary.

Private User
11/16/2010 at 2:34 AM

Putting "van Vloandern" in the maiden names seems at odds with standard Geni naming conventions.

11/14/2018 at 2:14 AM

hello Anne Berg .... I am a bit confused ...are we saying that if you have relatives in these person that its not true. ??????? I ask because .....

Baldwin I "Iron-Arm", count of Flanders is your 31st great grandfather....

hope to get an answer to clear up my confusion ...
Colleen

11/14/2018 at 9:20 PM

looking at this very quickly ..using Geni profiles as a reference........ Baldwin 1 is my 31st G G G grandfather .... Baldwin 11..son od Baldwin 1 and Judith is my 35th G G G .... and Arnulf ...ii is my 29th g g g ... and Balwin vi .. is also my 29th G G G ....so something isnt right .....is there a curator that can fix these profiles ... also after find William the conqueror was another G G G grandfather all of a sudden he is now William "the Conqueror", king of England is Colleen Dorothy Maunsell's 22nd great grandmother's partner's father!... what messes these lines up so badly ??????and how can anyone be sure who has what right ??????

12/30/2018 at 9:42 AM

Hi cousin Colleen-Mansell you and I connect on the shortest route in Geni via others, but I also connect with these Flemish individuals:

Henry I "Beauclerc" (my 24th GGF) King of England → Matilda of Flanders (my 25th GGM) his mother → Baldwin V (my 26th GGF) count of Flanders her father → Baldwin IV the Bearded (my 27th GGF) count of Flanders his father → Arnulf II the Young (my 28th GGF) count of Flanders his father → Baldwin III (my 29th GGF) count of Flanders his father → Arnulf I the Great (my 30th GGF) count of Flanders his father → Baldwin II "the Bald" (my 31st GGF) count of Flanders his father → Baldwin I "Iron-Arm", count of Flanders (my 32nd GGF) his father.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion