Problems with data conflicts not returning selected data choice

Started by Pam Wilson (on hiatus) on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 23 posts
1/20/2010 at 8:15 AM

I've been noticing for months that during the resolution of data conflict charts, all the choices (the ones I highlight in green) become registered on the resulting profile EXCEPT the birth and death location information. In those cases, Geni always retains whatever data was in the main profile at the time of merging.

Most people assume that their selected data will become part of the profile and don't doublecheck it. In this way, much valuable information is being lost during the merge processes.

I wrote to Geni's Help team and they said they were unaware of this and wanted examples. If you have this problem, could you please send the information to help@geni.com attention Ashiya (refer to case [#OIQ-641928]:).

Thanks!

Private User
1/20/2010 at 8:52 AM

In general, the Main profile's place of birth, death and burial is ALWAYS kept, no matter what you choose. This always happen, and one always has to go back to the profile and re-add or edit when it gets wrong. This should be easily verified: Try merging a profile with blank place entries as main with one that has places added.

1/20/2010 at 9:55 AM

This is definitely a problem since it allows you to choose--but then doesn't accept your choice (and doesn't tell you that it's not accepting your choice).

It's a bug that needs to be fixed. The main profiles is a particular merge do not always have the correct or preferred information.

1/20/2010 at 10:08 AM

I absolutly agree
I have wundered my self several times, thus I always go back to a merged profile.

1/20/2010 at 12:42 PM

Thanks Pamela for that insight--maybe they should add a field for alternate information??

1/20/2010 at 12:52 PM

Noah Tutak@Noah: this is definitely a problem that your engineers/technicians need to address. I imagine it's a small fix, but an important one. Thanks!

1/20/2010 at 1:00 PM

Sounds like it. Please reply to the case with an example so we can figure out what the issue is.

1/20/2010 at 1:03 PM

Thanks, Noah. But how do I document the example if I merge the data conflicts? I need to show them a before and after. Not sure how to do that. Please let me know the best way.

1/20/2010 at 1:36 PM

Noah, I hope this works.
http://www.geni.com/profile/resolve/6000000006124028786 The resolve screen
I selected everything in left (main column) except middle name (I selected 'Hadvide') and death location (I selected Lorraine, France rather than Namur, Belgium).
I clicked "Save" and was returned to the main profile Hedwige of Lorraine
where I found the new middle name added but the death location still says Namur, Belgium.

Private User
1/20/2010 at 1:39 PM

Noah Tutak - I posted some snapshots in my error report: [#BWT-837702]: "Data conflict location data not saved", dated December 12.

1/20/2010 at 1:41 PM

The problem is that the "resolve" screen is no longer there to look at after you effect the "Save".

Private User
1/20/2010 at 1:47 PM

Here are the before and after snapshot in my error report for 6 weeks ago:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu41/bpbrox/TO-Before.png
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu41/bpbrox/TO-After.png

You can reconstruct this error with any merge.

1/20/2010 at 1:48 PM

Maybe I am off base but would a preview screen of the person being merged and then and okey to merge be helpful? Then you could change it before the merge--or would that be double duty? Or maybe have a set of checked off boxes for what you want merged and not merged?

1/20/2010 at 2:22 PM

Bjorn, this is exactly what's needed, but I'm not technologically savvy enough to do screen saves. Could you send this to Ashiya with the Case # above to provide an example as she and Noah requested? If they didn't address it 6 weeks ago they need to now. Just think of several months of incorrect data being saved....

Private User
1/20/2010 at 3:10 PM

Pam: You use a key in the top right of your keyboard you probably not have used before: [PrtScn]
Hold the Alt key down to only dump the active window.

Then you do a simple new, paste in your favorite photo program or even a new word document.

Anyhow: As I told I reported this error for six weeks ago with those images, but I can bump the error.

1/23/2010 at 6:59 PM

Thanks, Bjorn. I just documented a case using the technique you recommended. Let's hope Ashiya can find out why these data resolutions are not properly happening.

Private User
10/11/2012 at 8:53 AM

i have a problem with fixing data conflicts after merges.
For several weeks I have been trying to fix data conflicts for Erispoë II de Vannes, Roi de Bretagne, a profile for which I am a manager and the curator but each time I try to save the chosen data I get this message :

We are experiencing technical difficulties

Can anyone tell how to get it right?

10/11/2012 at 9:03 AM

Private User report it to Geni. Even email the link to Mike Stangel. I had two like this that were stuck for 6 months that Mike fixed. I have another one now. I tried everything and looked at it from every angle with the previous ones.

Private User
10/11/2012 at 9:09 AM
10/11/2012 at 9:10 AM

That's the same one I was unable to resolve this week. Thanks Bjorn!

10/11/2012 at 9:16 AM

Nominoë, king of Brittany, his father, was the one that was "vandalized" - stripped of all information and is pending a merge also. I would first clean up Nevenoe. Which I will leave to you JF.

10/11/2012 at 10:19 AM

Private User I think I've fixed the error you were getting -- can you try again and let me know if you still get the error?

Private User
10/12/2012 at 11:04 AM

Mike Stangel you've fixed it OK
Thank you

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion