Sorting out the tangled d'Aubigny and d'Albini families

Started by Pam Wilson (on hiatus) on Saturday, January 9, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-39 of 39 posts

Yes let me go and find it, I have it stored somewhere, it took me years to crack any of this, I'm hoping it's correct.

I've just had a look at the "Earls of Arundel" (1148-1243) (ALBINI) section in FMG and as I supposed Albini is the Latin form of the French name Aubigny.
As you can see on the page linked bellow, Guillaume d'Aubigny "Pincerna" is also named :
Willielmus de Albaneio, Willielmus de Albeneyo, Willelmus de Albiniaco, Willelmus de Aubini, Willermi de Albinaio, Willelmus de Albini
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISH%20NOBILITY%20MEDIEVAL1.htm#...

I'm a direct descendant of American Dabney and what I think is the "Arundel" line. I have never been so confounded by any research project! NO single sources have identical lines of descent (unless they obviously copied each other). When I thought I was getting a grip on the family, I looked at Geni and found at least three people I'd never heard of before...and then could not find them listed in any other source!

It helps to understand that there are two distinct families, but in terms of sourcing the names, I don't feel I can rely on anyone's work, since there are duplicate names and similar dates.

Any SUGGESTIONS about how to nail this down?

Centred on my 15th great grandfather Vice-Admiral Sir John Arundell, V I have a number of Arundells in my tree and and another branch base on my 18th ggfather, Sir Giles Daubeney, Knt., of Barrington

The main reference I use is http://www.british-history.ac.uk/magna-britannia/vol3/cxviii-clxxiv....

I haven't had time yet to read all previous posts but wondered if a project had been set up where we could deposit links to any profiles that warranted Master Profile status (which implies that they had been the subject of a reasonable amount of research)

Will Chapman (Vol. Curator), if you will private message me with any requests for designating profiles as Master Profiles, I'll be glad to take a look and do so, especially if you've added research, bio, etc. Thanks!

Pam

Pam Wilson (on hiatus), Will Chapman Jr is one of our newer curators.

Sharon McRee and all, when did the surname Abney & Dabney separate. I find many "errors" is the mix up with Abney/Abner in America but not Dabney which leads me to believe the separation began in England.

@pam wilson

Hi.
You may find my article in the Annual Bulletin of the Societe Jersiaise 2001 (Wiiliam d'Aubigny, Pincerna and Brito - Individual Identities from Historic Records Pages 276-279) relevant to your quest.
I shall be interested in any vital records pre 1200, to help trace the father of Marguerite d'Aubigny m. Philippe de Carteret (c.1210).
I should be glad to enter a 1:1 communication via my email (martincourtier@tiscali.co.uk) to send you the full text if the article if you wish.
Many thanks,
Martin Courtier

Showing 31-39 of 39 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion