Merge Issues 6

Started by Private User on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 901-930 of 931 posts

I can't BELIEVE the errors you people do.

Roger de Montgommery was merged with Robert de Mourtaigne.

Now parents need ot be fixed:
Robert de Mortagne, Earl of Cornwall

Here's cut away info on Roger, find a new one to paste it into:
Roger de Montgomery - was born in 1022, lived in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England and died on 27 Jul 1094 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England . He was the son of Roger de Montgomery and Josceline de Ponteaudemer.
Roger married Mabel Talvas de Alencon in 1048 while living in Perche, France. Mabel was born about 1026, lived in Alencon, Eure, France. She was the daughter of William Talvas de Alencon II and Helie de Bourgogne. She died on 2 Dec 1079 in Bures Castle .

Roger - Earl of Arundel & Shrewsbury

The symbol of advance into Wales was the castle which Earl Roger built at Montgomery, a typical motte and bailey, of which the earthworks still survive. To distinguish it from the later stone castle built at Montgomery by Hubert de Burgh, it came to be known as Hen Domen Castle- the old mound. It was a key point in the natural communication into mid-Wales, and beyond that westwards to Ceredigion. The gains which Earl Roger and his commanders made were compact and, with the exception of Arwystli, did not drive deeply into Wales, but they extended over a long stretch of the frontier.

# 'Oft on the mouldering Keep by night
# Earl Roger takes his stand,
# With the sword that shone at Hastings' fight,
# Firm grasped in his red, right hand ! '

This is how an ancient poem begins about Roger de Montgomery who it was believed had fought alongside Duke William at Hastings. In fact Roger de Montgomery wasn't at the Battle of Hastings, but was left at home to look after Normandy for William while he was in England. He contributed greatly to the invasion force and was to be richly rewarded for his loyal services.

Earl Roger de Montgomery founded the Arundel Castle on Christmas Day 1067. It was after King William had held his Christmas Court at Gloucester and awarded Montgomery the Earldom, that he ordered him to build a castle on the Arun to protect the inland reaches. Roger de Montgomery was already an extremely powerful man in his native Normandy and had been a close friend of William's since William was a teenager as he was his cousin. He was present at the Council of Lillebonne in 1066, and agreed to contribute 60 ships to aid the invasion plans of England. He returned with William from Normandy in 1067 and he was summoned to attend Chrismas at Gloucester with the king where he was awarded his honours as one of William's most trusted men.

Earl Roger was succeeded at Arundel by his son, Robert, known as Robert de Belleme.

John Fitzalan of Clun, who had married Hugh de Albini's daughter Isobel, acquired the Castle and Honour of Arundel. The Fitzalan's were to hold the castle in an almost uninterrupted line until 1555 when Mary Fitzalan, last of the family, married Thomas, 4th Duke of Norfolk, thereby carrying Arundel into the Howard family where it remains to this day.

Children:

i. Robert de Belleme was born about 1039 in Perche, France and died in 1119 .

ii. Arnulph de Montgomery was born before 1074 in St. Germain Montgomery, Normandy, France.
Arnulph married Lafracoth O'Brien. Lafracoth was born before 1076 in Pembrokeshire, Wales.

iii. Maude de Montgomery was born about 1041 in Mortaigne, Normandie, France and died in 1107 .
Maude married Count Robert de Mortaigne before 1058. Count Robert was born about 1037 in Mortaigne, Normandie, France. He was the son of Harlevin de Conteville and Herleva de Falaise. He died on 8 Dec 1090 in France .

iv. Roger "The Poitevin" Montgomery was born about 1058, lived in March, Poitou, France and died after 1102 .

v. Sybyl de Montgomery was born about 1066, lived in St. Germain, Mntgm, Normandy, France.
Sybyl married Robert Fitzhammon about 1084 while living in Normandie, France. Robert was born about 1070 in East Chester, England. He died on 10 Mar 1107 .
http://www.renderplus.com/hartgen/htm/montgomery.htm
--------------------
Roger de Montgomerie, also known as Roger the Great de Montgomery, was the first Earl of Shrewsbury. His father was also Roger de Montgomerie, and was a relative, probably a grandnephew, of the Duchess Gunnor, wife of Duke Richard I of Normandy. The elder Roger had large holdings in central Normandy, chiefly in the valley of the Dives, which the younger Roger inherited.

Roger first married Mabel of Bellême, who was heiress to a large territory on both sides of the border between Normandy and Maine. By her he had 10 children:

Name Birth Death Notes
By Mabel Talvas (Mabel of Bellême).
Roger Montgomery 1066
Robert of Bellême 1052 c. 1130 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury
Hugh of Montgomery 1098 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury
Roger the Poitevin c. 1058
Philip 'the Grammarian' 1099 Died while on crusade at the Siege of Antioch
Arnulf of Montgomery c. 1068
Emma, abbess of Almenchêches
Matilda m. Robert, Count of Mortain
Mabel m. Hugh of Châteauneuf-en-Thimerais
Sibyl m. Robert Fitzhamon

Roger then married Adelaide de Le Puiset, by whom he had one son, Everard, who entered the Church.

Roger was one of William the Conqueror's principal counsellors.

Roger then married Adelaide de Le Puiset, by whom he had one son, Everard, who entered the Church.

After his death, Roger's estates were divided. The eldest surviving son, Robert, received the bulk of the Norman estates (as well as his mother's estates); the next son, Hugh, received the bulk of the English estates and the Earldom of Shrewsbury. After Hugh's death the elder son Robert inherited the earldom.

On screen, Roger was portrayed by actor John Greenwood in the two-part BBC TV play Conquest (1966), part of the series Theatre 625.
-----------------------------

I intended to help out with this but our network is terribly slow today and this branch is in an incredible mess. I can't believe it's the result of one bad merge. Good luck to whoever is brave enough to tackle this one.

I know all of you are trying hard to clean up the mess. Don't let anything get you down. It will get better!

I'm on the Crépon-family and have to do an awful lot of unlinking before it's going to start to look better. The two different Joscelines are both married into the Montgomerys and those are a mess too, with various Rogers and Hughs mixed up.

Anyone wanting to start on the Montgomeries send me a message - I'll help etc.

I'm not sure where to post this, but I thought this might be a good place. I have been having an issue with some profiles when merging. This profile has been on my list for the past three days and everytime I try to merge it, it says "Unable to complete merge: Profile id#6000000006439621400 has been merged into a different profile"
1. What does this mean?
2. Why isn't it disappearing from my merge issues when if it is merged?

Thanks,
Alice

I've been having the same issues. Unable to merge this: Profile id#6000000005007526482
There had been a few other unmergable profiles, but after merging some others that were connected closely, they went away. I am left with this one that remains unmergable..

It means what it said: Profile has been merged into a different profile

There seem to be some problems with completed merges is not removed from the merge issues.

http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=68951

My experience is that the merge center tells you that Profile A has been merged with Profile B and that you need to approve. However, since the merge of A and B was proposed, they were in turn merged with Profile C.

I click on the name, and get the carousel. Then i can merge the entire stack, and the entry leaves my merge center.

Is anyone able to view profiles, I want to check things before I merge. When I click on any name, I get a generic type profile with no options to view conflicts, access the tree. If I Click on the View Profile button, it takes me back to my main page. I can not figure out any way to check a profile.

If I click on the links in Janet's message above, they both take me to public profiles. Have all profiles been made private or what?

@Eldon, They have already been merged, thats why you can’t

Eldon - I am sorry, i saw your worry about viewing profiles, then saw my old post. I went to the profiles I had requested help on, and was able to clean up my concern. To the best of my knowledge, profiles are still public and private as they have been, except for those that have not been marked deceased (commonly known as zombies) and that have been 'improved'.

By improved, I mean set to deceased and made public. This is only done to profiles that are clearly deceased, as in born over 150 years ago, or more than five generations from a living relative.

Glen, this happens in the merge center when you have two side by side to compare and if you decide to do the merge, it seems to work so they are not merged. Yet, when I clicked on your link, I got the usual one, not one that says it is the public profile.

Ok Eldon, I did only open those 2 profile link in each tab and they had same id, so I did assume they have been merged

Glen' I have asked Genie help about this. Hope to get an answer within a week<G>. After I do a merge, I like to go to the profile to resolve conflicts while the info is fresh in my mind.

Good luck then Eldo, I'm still waiting for reply on my email sent 2 month ago

Thanks for the encouragement.

Glenn we've been slow lately but we shouldn't ever be that slow. What's the ticket number that you received in the auto-response email?

Well, just discovered it has been sorted, but no reply.
So I have only one that I'm waiting for reply now. and that has so far been 3 weeks so it isn't so bad [#QWC-281945]
I can manage few weeks more :)

Regarding QWC-281945, the manager of whom you speak is inactive, but the profile you're trying to merge is marked private and in the (inactive) manager's maximum family radius. Our policy is to not force those profiles public, as long as any user (inactive or not) is in the max-family.

I was aware it was private, but I was told that this user have left Geni by one of his Collaborators and he had take over his public profiles he had
Since this was not far from me I wanted to get rid of the duplicate.
So what will happen if he never turns up again, will I always have this duplicate?

Noah Tutak I'll have to ask you to weigh in on Glenn's question -- all I can do is clarify what our current policy is. :-)

Hard to say without all the details, but if it is a close enough relative you will be able to complete the merge, even if it is a private profile.

Erik Höglund is my second cousin thrice removed's husband's grandfather so not close enough

Hopfully his collaborator Private User can give more information about the case.

This reminds me about another question I have.
Did you guy’s change something last month or so, because I did discover that all my profile that was inside my 3th great granddad radius had become private, even my 2th great grandfather Christian Krohgthat is a well known painter and should absolutely not be private.
I know all my profile that was deceased was public.
I did check revisions history on many of these profiles, and it was nothing there.
If this has happened to everyone, it can be fun to try to sort out duplicates in the future where user has become inactive and their profile have become private even they did have it public before they left.

We did recently give users the ability to make any profile of a close relative profile, even if they are not a manager. Likely this is what happened. Although this should leave an entry in the list of revisions on that profile.

Is nothing in those profiles history log except when I did make them public profile again 6th September.

Glen, sorry, but this Erik Högberg is too distant to me for merging (6th cousin twice removed's husband's grandfather). He was gggf (fmfmf) of the manager Oscar Rosander.

Can some one help me with this. I have merge issues with her. No way to request collaboration only a send message link and a block this link
Private User

As far as I can see she is NOT connected to this forest, so I doubt you have real merge issues with her, - may be only hot-matches.

Just leave her unconnected tree alone.

Sarah Meador (Hoskins),
Sarah Meador

From her profile matches, it looks as though there are two distinct Sarah Hoskins, one who was

Daughter of William Hodgekins and Sarah Cushman
Wife of Benjamin Eaton, Sr.
Mother of Benjamin Eaton, Jr. and Rebecca Eaton

and one who was (my familiar ancestor)

Daughter of Bartholomew Hoskins and Mira Dorcus Isham
Wife of Thomas Meador and Henry Aubrey/Awbrey
Mother of Richard Aubrey/Awbrey

somehow the profiles of both these individuals because merged; I'm not sure what we can or should do. Should a Curator or head manager split the tree? That seems a little risky, since I see that Thomas Meador has tree reconciliation issues still pending.

There's always the possibility that the merge of these Sarah Hoskins was correct, but that'd raise the possibility of how the Meadors/Awbrey-marrying could have managed to marry three men and migrated from Massechusetts to Virginia, leave a will there, then moved back to Massechusetts! I do think they are separate individuals.

Grant,

I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner and I'm going to beg your patience a little more, and ask a favor, too. Do you have a good online source to use as a guide? Post it both in the profile and in this discussion.

Showing 901-930 of 931 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion