Merge Issues 6

Started by Private User on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 841-870 of 931 posts

Maria, Thanks.
I have made a request to Mark Rosenblum as we share the same blood line to Lewis Duvall, son of Mareen Duvall "the younger". I hope that will help.

I will drop Serafina a line too. She may not know how much of a mess we have in the Duvall family tree.

Have a great day!

Does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with this attitude?
Grand Imperial Poobah

@ Eldon Of course - Respect and ignore

Wijtze - I agree - if the managed profiles do not desturb anything!!
The problem is - they mostly do.
I think its very frustrating, and think we need to do something to force these people to eigther cooperate or leave the big tree

As I have said many, many times before, I do not want to merge (and have changed my mind about collborating). I have spent far too many hours, stumbling over cobbles and dozing in records rooms, to allow some self-righteous, holier-than-thou "genealogists" to destroy twenty plus years of work.

IF anyone took the time to read, I have encouraged others to make use of, if they wish, what I have posted. A picture may help illustrate my point: I have invited everyone to visit my home and garden-admire it and be inspired by it-but DONT rip apart my life's work to build your home and/or garden. If I have made a mistake, let me know and I will fix it. Don't take it upon yourself to make the repair.

I take the time to verify, at least three different ways, every person I have on my tree. Not once, have I plagarized portions, large or small, of my tree. If the data leads back to the same source, then I count that as one occurence. I have learned words and names in several different languages so as to do genealogy. I do not take this work lightly. What I have posted is my work, compiled from hours-days-weeks-and-years of research. Those epiphanic moments, though rare, have kept me going. Each line is separate so as to know my exact relation along that branch. If lines cross over themselves, I have kept, purposefully, them separated so that multiple relations to the same individuals would be far easier to discern.

I have felt it necessary to take this stance because of those noisome individuals I have encountered. The puerile mentality is tiring. If I don't want to play the game, then don't have a conniption, stamp your feet, and scream, "He won't play with me!!"

It has been suggested, by other members of this site, that the missing-in-action managers have been driven away by the megalomaniacs. The need for greed is far too rampant. Stop being the internet Napoleans of family history.

Be inspired by the EU. Each nation retains its sovereignity, yet works for the good of all the members.

Allow myself and others to keep and maintain our trees. There will be a time when we come together for the common good. Until that time, don't cross the fence and take the fruits for the tree. You may not see the full baskets sitting by the gate.

If you have any questions, which are specifically for me, please contact me. I will answer them as soon as I can.

We are a family. I guess this is a case of a member who feels his "work effort" is more important than the sense of correcting errors or revealing anomalies in order to make our family history accurate. I think we've all experienced that in some manner, whether in regular familial exchange or even in the discovery of our extended blood relatives in genealogy.

I support the idea that if these members do not wish to be in the tree, than perhaps Geni should make them invisible altogether. Allow them their option to privatize their family trees, but by doing so, they are not involved in the forest, so-to-speak. We don't see them. They don't see us. They can build their trees as a stand alone.

This also allows those of us who want to develop a "working" tree that is done temporarily without it impacting on the larger tree, to do so in a similar manner. If someone chooses to privatize their tree, then it needs to automatically disappear from view to anyone, and that includes their not being accessible to the larger tree.

Robert I totally agree with you as long as we are talking of your tree, the problem is we are talking about our tree - and thats someting quit different, on that matter we need to cooperate.

The attitude is much worse than I could even imagine.

I meant to add, If anyone wants their wok private, fine. There are many stand alone programs to do that. I use them myself. Geni is all about sharing and collaborating.

Is there anything you can do if the manager is no longer accessing Geni? Specifically, the manager is unable to access Geni because of a change in email address and a lost password!

@ Eldon and Gunther: Here Here!!

Gladys, I agree with you completely. These things just get in the way of every one who wants to work with others. If Geni would give the option to hide them and block the owners, everyone else would not have their work and sharing blocked. I just don't seem to find an answer about removing the merge request profiles from my list.

@Anne:

I would contact Geni Help, if no one in the collaborating pool can not assist. I know when I first joined Geni, I used a different email address. I just recently contacted them to close that account and they are working on it at this writing. So I'm sure there is a way to fix that. I notice that the late Robert Lockwood's profiles are not getting in the way with mergers. I guess somehow that has worked out as well.

@Grand-Imperial-Poobah 6000000007445801638
I find that the problem, from my point of view at least, is that you have crossed the fence and now you are in our meadow and getting upset when we wish to mow it. You crossed the fence by merging, I don't know when or which or who with but I do know that all I am doing is resolving the area of the Historic Tree around the Plantagenets and on occassion I have had to request a merge be completed by yourself. Please note the word 'completed'. I can fully understand you not wishing your long hard work damaged and would suggest that perhaps an insurance policy home-based programme would be a good idea but also start to show your sources in Geni. Surely yours could be an extremely valued contribution to the 'world tree'. I am not stamping my feet or screaming but I can see that you would be a valuable member of our community and as you are (it seems regrettably) merged into the big tree I would urge you to make the most of it, please. If these means we wait till you have protected swathes of your tree, then fine, just let us know we need to be patient for awhile.

Okay, by merge requests, I did this just today. . . (so if any of you chuckle, keep it to yourselves!!!! LOLOL!!!!!) --- Not. I have thick skin.

Over on the left side, where you have names of the historical family figure, you may see # of profiles. I believe if you click on the # of the profiles on the left, it will open more of the requests at large. Anyway, I would keep on "review(ing) requests" until the blue request (on the right goes dim. Just keep doing it until the review request goes dim. For the first time in nearly 2 years, I have only one request.

Ann,

You can set merge requests from collaborators (on an individual basis) to "automerge." That way, quite invisibly and while you do other things, you can accomplish a great deal of work. :)

Okay!!! Thanks!!!! I know I did it with Ofir Friedman a few weeks ago. But how do I access that automerge? Now that I'm in the collaboration pool, I'd like to make that work best. But I do have a problem with one thing. Just like the Duvall matter spoken a while back, I discovered a traffic jam with George Major I, and George Major II. Can somebody take a look see at that problem? I am one of the Managers. But I find whenever there is a Senior, Jr. and/or a 3rd, we get into a real problem with wives and children.

Ann,

To set "automerge" by collaborator, these steps:

1. Your own "Profile."
2. Scroll down to "Collaborators." Press "View All" hyperlink. This opens up the detail pages.
3. On the right by each name is a hyperlink that toggles back and forth between two fields. The default setting text is "Auto Accept Review Requests," -- meaning -- it is currently set to "Manually Review Requests." So press the link to change it to show "Manually Review."

Can you put in the URL for the George Major l and George Major ll profiles, or use @ [the name of the profile]? Otherwise it doesn't hyperlink and makes it hard for anyone to find it to take a look.

@Ann -
I have tried to make a point of processing the Robert Lockwood merges out of respect for his work. Should you need help with those, let me know. But beware all - after a year of school and the process of getting my license, I have my first nursing job. As much as I hate to do it, I am going to have to taper down my geni time from the 8+ hours per day. :)

Thank you so very much, Lori!! Congratulations on your new career!!! I'm following behind you, career-wise. I am going back to school this fall. I know we all appreciate your effort to merge Robert's profiles. He did a great work, and your effort to avoid a jam is much appreciated.

I just did an inventory of my branch of the Big Tree. I don't know whether to believe this or not, but I'm seeing a multitude of people who have locked their files. I have a real disdain over this matter. Here I am with my near 1900 individuals I worked on prior to joining Geni, and these so-called relatives find it necessary to lock their information? Like their family members, which are the same family members as mine, are gilded in gold? Is gold brown now?

Most of the time, these people that do this have bad information anyway. . . This is what I call the "grand poopoo!!!"

CAn anyone help me out with this George Major issue? Once again, it's the ol' George 1,2,3, issue, all mixed up. And for some reason, I keep getting my hands proverbially "hit" for attempting to do so. This is "new" to me because prior, I WAS permitted to do so, since I happen to be a manager of SOME of these files.

http://www.geni.com/family-tree?ref=ph#6000000003962598903

Okay folks, I'm getting ready to shut down for the night. But not without a review about some very valuable matters that we've either vented and/or just commented in general. We all have opinions. We all have strong opinions and are protective of our research and the summary of our family history or histories.

The KEY to all of this is Tolerance leading into Patience, and then maintaining diplomacy and communication. We are family. Whether some people want to stay in their room and brood, we all live in one house called Geni.com. Whether someone in the family wants to snap at us, we must maintain a calm and professional manner. Yet, if you do have feelings that must be expressed, let's attempt at balancing it with humor, or some piece of the olive branch that represents peace. I mean we are many nations coming together here in Geni. What if Geni's actions could bring peace to the Middle East? Maybe if North Korea knew that I was related to them (NOT!) they might be kewl. This is likely one route to changing our attitudes realizing we are all one.

Communicate; have patience; and for those you find difficult to understand, tolerate them for the moment. Make as many contacts with others as our collaboration pool grows, and by befriending them even BEFORE the necessary note comes requesting collaboration, it may likely force those less cooperative to have to work with us. Try not to merge "private" profiles. Apparently some people have done so, and we just can't add more problems to what already is a quagmire of confusion.

I promise to keep my words a little more diplomatic. You have no idea how difficult that is for me. But I will try to be more understanding of Mr. Grand PooBear. . . . (((((((Peace Mr. Grand PooBah)))))))

Peace!!!!

Lori Lynn Wilke
Many congrats! That is an accomplishment. I hope you have a long and fulfilling career. I shall miss having you so often available when I need a merge or need help. I guess now you will be working 8 hours a day instead of spending it with us!

Maria

Hi all,
I have been following this feed as it come not just to my email, but to my blackberry. I have not written about this before, but with all of these hard feelings running as hot as they are, I felt that I must say something.

At the time, my daughter and I started our tree, we wanted to get all of our research in one place. I have worked on my tree for 40 years or more, as I started with my grandmother as a child, and I have been working from her work of over 60 years or more...information passed from one generation to the next. So under that my family has hundreds of years into our family tree. I am very protective of that tree. None of us knew anything when we posted on this site about a "Big Tree"...we wanted only to bring our family together, invite the family we knew and then track down those who were lost to the family due to time and moves. We found family that had not talked in over 60 or more years because of silly fights...or issues resulting from the Civil War!

We merged with the family that we invited, or who found us...still not knowing about a "big Tree"......then one day I noticed that I no longer managed my family profiles, nor did any one I knew! So I sent a note to geni help...and that is when I found out about the "big tree", at the tie I was NOT HAPPY!

That was a year ago, I now have tons of connections to the "big tree", have more collaborators then I need or want at times...but that is ok. I have relationships on line with distant cousins, that I would have never know but for this site. But it makes me crazy when I read that some of you want to "FORCE" others to merge....no one likes a bully, remember that.

Most of the people on here are nice, but not all, just like any family. Some of you are happy to "play with others", but some of us want to be left alone and you need to respect that. I have had to turn over management of a few of my own profiles to appease an elderly cousin..and that was ok..she is an older women, and was freaking out that she was no longer the manager of "her" profiles. Sometimes it is just easier not to fight, I am still able to see them and it was her direct line to my Great Aunt, and her Great grandmother.

At the end of the day, I am now part of this "big tree" for better or worse. I too don't like the fact that when someone merges with me or me with them on a profile that I have in my tree, that I have worked to collect information on, spent hours, days, or years on, I am no longer the manager...if I am lucky I am an "editor". That sucks and still pisses me off, so I get the way some on here feel about not waning to merge..not wanting to loss control of our trees. Some of you have said...well they merged into the big tree, now they are stuck. As I said, many of us when first posting trees never even heard of the "big Tree". We were merging with other family members that we invited, that may have merged into the big tree, knowingly or not.

So as I tell my granddaughter, patients is a vulture. We all need to remember that when we are on here. Please try to play nice. I don't like someone just sending me a note to take asking to take over control of one of my profiles, you will get a nasty note from me. I don't like it when I get a collaborator request without the person telling me how we are a relation. I try to remember to send a note with a request, telling the person who I am, how we are a relation and that I want to work with them on our family history and ask to work together on it. And then send a note after they accept.
It may take a few moments to do this, but it really does help in building bridges.

Well that said, have a good day and my best regards to all of my cousins, near and far.
Terri

Yoo Hoooooo, , , , Anybody here? LOL!!!!

Who can help and/or explain

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000003040988215?to=6000000000...

here is 2 profile. No pending merges. The second is ABSOLUTELY abandoned profile without any relatives. During merge i get that person couldn't be hes own ancestor.

what the ... where is logic?

Henn

I think Henn know all this.
Take a closer look on the connection request (it is not a pending merge), - the second profile Atanagildo is totally without any connections, so there should absolutely be no reason for this error.

There could however be some "code behind" connections so I suggest you raise an error ticket on this one.

You should also try to clean up the area in the main profile and try to merge another profile (just add a brother) into it just to find out if the main profile area is OK.

Wow: They have added a Revisions tab now ;-)

Yes - I would say raise a help issue.

The profile page shows:
User StatisticsFamily Members 4,273
Blood Relatives 5,000
Ancestors 5,000
Descendants 5,000

So clearly Geni thinks that person is connected somehow.

I have had the same issue many times trying to disconnect and reconnect someone that was their own ancestor. Geni's code thinks they are still ancestors. I have sent the problem to Geni only to have them get back to me and say there is no problem. Maybe time resolves the issue sometimes, but not all the time. I think it is more a problem now than it was in the past for some reason.

Showing 841-870 of 931 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion