Started by Private User on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 691-720 of 931 posts

A big thanks to all who keep helping!

Knisley (and many more):
http://www.geni.com/people/Bethoc-Princess-of-Scotland/600000000082...

Anne, I can do Valenti zombies.

I wasn't aware she had so many! I'm going through them now. She manages 90+ pages of "living" profiles.

Erin, I've noticed ... Good luck!

Anyone collaborating with Walter Dietrich?
This one's name is wrong, but should be merged into Ebles:
Unknown Profile

Anne Marit: Hults done along with some others.

What's happening with Martin Budden: Martin John Budden

I know he was critical to being in the Big Tree in the Forum - has he decided? Should he be merged or detangled?

I don't think anyone should be detangled. If there's one thing we've learned from Conrad/Bratvold, it's that you can't untangle a whole tree manually. You can detach a few, but wherever it's still connected, people will inevitably merge the profiles back in because you can't see the manager's name when stacking profiles. The only way we will be able to successfully detach an entire tree is 1) If the Geni developers implement a way of marking profiles as having problem managers or 2) If the Geni staff mass-unstack all the profiles at once. Ashiya has already said they are not willing to do that in any trees with active, claimed profiles. We just have to stack them in and leave them until the Geni staff finally mark Conrad, Bratvold, and others as having abandoned their trees.

I have a profile owner who is active but does not want to merge. I can't untangle him... Are you suggesting that we stack him in, but don't send a merge request?

You're right, it is a pain to keep disconnecting him from the stack.

Janet, yes this is EXACTLY what you should do. Even if those merges never get solved, the tree will still be usable, as these "duplicates" will be hidden.

so how is this with the profiles of Bratvold ?

some of her`s ,i can handle.
if they are marked as dead,and linked to profiles i have colaborating with.

Can anyone merge the profiles of Private User?

http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000001744991259
Jacq Hill, Christine Gard (2), Cindy Clark (2), Robert Conrad, Rulene Walk

http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000001745092779
Anne Marie

http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000005060692479
Christine Gard, Melanie Churchill or Christine Farnsworth, Lars Soderstrom

Thank you!

Söderström done.

@Pamela susan wilson, please see discussion in 'do you know this manager' about @Rulene Ames Walk. She has inherited Bascom's tree and negotiations are apparantly taking place so we must all try not to send a bunch of requests to her.

Anne Marit: Hults done. Conflicts left at: http://www.geni.com/profile/resolve/6000000007228549381

Why would this say he's his own ancestor when it's obviously him?
http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000003210388233

because somewhere a descendant is erroneously linked to an ancestor....

I just found one upstream in the Underhills....

I've been 'undoing merges' for RObert conrad although I don't see him becoming unconnected to the big tree any time soon!

Thank you everyone, for working on my collection posted above..

Hi all...distant cousin...far and wide.

I have a merge issue that I need to have resolved and I think it may be why some do not want to merge into "the big tree".

When I get a merge request, I do two things. I first go to the profile sent to me and see if it is the same person. After that I go to the profile of the person who sent it and see how we are related...If we are not...I don't want them wondering around in my profiles...sorry. If they are a blood relation, no matter how distant, I will merge, letting them in as a collaborator....they are my family.

The problem comes in the fact that in resent merges, where I had been the manger of my profiles, after I merge with the other profile, I am no longer a manager of the profile I researched and then posted to my own tree. This is a problem for me, and I am sure that it is a problem for others as well.

How do we resolve this problem? I think that once that is fixed, there may be less resistants to merge profiles to "the big tree" for many of us out there.

I am not sure that " geni-help desk" can help at all. I have never been happy with their help...so if anyone has any ideas...please let me know. I have merge issue that I would like to fix, but not at the cost of losing control of my family tree.

Hi Terri!

If - let's say 150 managers have the same historic profile - then there can only be one m a i n manager and 149 co-managers. All co-manages have edit rights to the proifle and all 150 managers have added the same profile one - to the(ir) tree.

There are also thousands of users that are related to that profile managed by 150 (some of them never added the profle because it was already in the tree!)

Of course there has to be just o n e main manager to every profile.

Let's go to another example.
10 grandchildren all added their beloved grandfather to the tree.
One of them will be the main manager, the other 9 co-managers.
And the tree belongs to all of the 10 grandchildren, their children, their cousins and so on....

You will not loose management of your tree, but perhaps you will not be main of all profiles you've added.
Merge or not merge - that is what everybody has to decide from the beginning.
Once you start merging - then you are in the big tree. If you then stop merging - other users will have merge issues for ever. And that is not ok.

Regarding relatives or not relatives...
Well - if you and I are connected to the same tree we are related somehow. Maybe we have 100 connections between us and then it will not show on path-surch. But if the profile is connected - then it is connected - by blood or marriage.

Sorry for making this so long.
Susanna
And hope you merge with me! No path found betewwen us, but we are connected to the same tree = we are related, the path is just too long or complicated. Perhaps we will know how in the future.
(Also we can be related but our connecting lines are not merged together yet - or broken by pending merges by someone who doesn't want to merge......)

@denise: there is a loop here (William Hoskins) - some profile is wrongly connected

for example: he can be both father and son somewhere
all children and parents needs to be checked unfortunately

it's a lot of work

@denise: I think the problem can be all the saras there

@denise:
here: 5 parents =(
Sarah Meador

@Janet, I've completed the second Stedall and sent a message to him about the first one as it was a zombie and I can't complete them. I also completed some others in the second stack.

Janet,

The Casteman are done.

Showing 691-720 of 931 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion