Merge Issues 6

Started by Private User on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 271-300 of 931 posts

Noah
Is there a way for new members to get an automatic notification about that link the moment they join the site or starting out new family tree?
More and more recent new members are adding already existed information without first checking if this information is already on the site.
(Such cases I've discovered in the last couple of days especially regarding the royalty & nobility section, that I'm working on)

Ofir, we do include the link in the auto-response users get when they submit help requests. We'd like to promote it more, but we haven't been able to motivate users to keep it up to date enough. If we don't include it in the welcome email, we'd at least like to add it to the footer.

Ofir, I'm actually writing an extended "howto: resolve merge issues" on the Wiki just now, to expand on the previous Discussion I wrote.

Noah, the problem with the Wiki is, that
1) the coverage is very spotty / outdated on many important topics.
2) the vast majority of users don't even know it exists. You think people read or check the links in the auto-response message to CS reports? I doubt it.. Check how many hits the Wiki and knowledge base pages actually get.
3) the core group of original editors have mostly drifted away, so no-one updates it. The change-log only seems to go back a week, and you only have two active editors.
4) the translation templates have all disappeared!

Erin Adair-Hodge merge help please

http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000000398104611

Regarding Justin's hijacked profiles
"I don’t quite understand the exclusive manger issue", after all recently , (after Geni change that option?) when someone ask for management of a profile he always gets a JOINT management and not an exclusive management, that way you can still keep managing your immediate family members even if you transfer management to someone else.

Jason: Castleman is done.

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן I agree. That is what I am saying - we don't want to promote it in its present state. I'll check into the translation templates.

Hello y'all.
Here is a link to the HOWTO: Resolving_Merge_Issues document that I have mostly finished writing. Enjoy.

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Resolving_Merge_Issues

Shmuel, you did a very nice job on that article! I did see one small thing, Under the 2nd paragraph of Parent Conflict, should the word "not" be added?
“This is not always possible because you might "not" have the required edit permissions to do this”
I could be wrong.
Thanks

Done, Daniel.

Gene Daniell 4 ... Thanks for the explanation. I have not accepted any collaboration and I have only merged profiles with my sister and a distant cousin who were interested in building our tree. The cousin accepted many collaborations which is probably the cause of my unwanted involvement in the "big tree". The problem is, now that I am part of "the mess", how do I help clear it up without becoming even further interconnected?

can someone please complete this merge (Castleman)

http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000003285624028?idx=0
I hope this is the right way to post a merge

Ofir,
I contacted the manager of the profile to merge...I hope this is how you do it. : )

Yes this is how I usually do it, but since the manager's name was mentioned here, several times before, I thought someone would be able to help me with that as well.

Kevin Hanit usually takes care of the Castleman merges.

Many Thanks Gene

Jason ... Done.

Ofir: Castleman is done. Please resolve the conflicting data yourself at: http://www.geni.com/profile/resolve/6000000003285624028

Wayne Davy, Jaqueline Hill and Patrick van Howe:
http://www.geni.com/people/Erik-the-Victorious-Segers%C3%A4ll/60000...
Thanks!

also - if you are in the area of olof skötkonung and olof björnsson please be careful, I have spent hours undoing bad merges that keep coming and making it impossible to do the good merges

olof björnsson and olof skötkonung is not the same person
edla and estrid is not the same person
emund and björn is not the same person
if you want to merge but are uncertain, do write me a note and a link and we'll work it out

also I would very much like to know if someone actually is collaborating with Janina Hellman, Jaqueline Hill and Robert Conrad

SusannA1 Therefore I have been unable to move people connected to wrong parents and husband and wifes. We both have been working there at the same time. And I am aware that theese people are not the same, bu since Edla is connected to wrong person and others the same I do merges and than set the right partner and parents using disconnecting relationsship and set parents before or when I merge. But if we both work at same time here we get technical problems.

Jaqueline Hill I can merge if you send me URL's - have no time to follow disscussions.

I think it would be helpful if everyone would go back and delete the requests that have ben completed. That way we are not trying to do them over and over.
Thanks

@cecilie and tiffany and everyone:
Björn has several times asked not to do too much in this corner as we are very hard trying to solve everything here
@cecilie: please merge all jaueline that you see so we can get rid of those post once and for all! thousands of thanks on behalf of al of us

conclusion: do not undo or do anything but merge your profiles (or the profiles you help with such as Hill, de Graw etc) here
björn and I will solve it

I must be confused. I don't remeber seeing a message to NOT do anything. I thought the point was to help each other? Should I be helping?

Dear Members
Regarding merge issues
During my work in the last couple of days I came across some very old pending merges; from April-June 2009
Also some of them were wrong.
So how long does one's wait for a merge?
As I see it here are my estimates for waiting:
Couple of days – excellent
A week - very good
A month- still OK
3 months –I'm starting to get a little bit worry
6 months and older-CRAZY!!!
If a manger didn’t merge for 3-6 months there is no point of leaving pending merges with them that are less than 3 months old
You can always redo a merge, but it's harder to undo one, although just to let you know:
Was it Carole who said something about a wrong merge that she has done?
As I did before; you could ask Geni help for undoing a wrong merge if you can provide them with the links for what should have been
All the best
Ofir

@tiffany: this was an answer to cecilie regarding the profiles of some of the nordic profile where there are different opinions of who is the parents and where misunderstandings regarding names and generations are common.

Of course I think that we shall collaborate!! But not on these profiles just now.
I think the discussion about this was in focus and most active in november/december and not in this thread.
Most users who have a lot of profiles in this area aware of this.

All the best and goodnight from a very cold and snowy island on the swedish westcoast

Showing 271-300 of 931 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion