Jennie Sanders

Started by Private User on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts

These two profiles came up as a possible match. I don't really work in this area of the tree, so I'm hoping someone here can takeover. There are already a few consistency check issue with the first profile.

Jennie Sanders
Jennie Sanders

Jennie Sanders was born in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory about 1832. She was the daughter of Mitchell Sanders and Polly Overtaker. She married George Bigfeather (Tsu wa ts gv) about 1849. [1] Jennie and son Benjamin appear on the Old Settler Roll living next to her father and her siblings. [2] Jennie and Geroge were the parents of six children: Benjamin, Rachel, Buck, Washington, Elsie, and Susan. Jennie died in 1886. [3]

Sources
↑ Hampton, David K. Cherokee Mixed-Bloods. Arc Press of Cane Hill, Lincoln, Arkansas. 2005. p. 407
↑ Hampton, David K., transcriber. Cherokee Old Settlers, combined transcript of 1851 and 1896 Old Settler Payrolls. 1993. National Archives and Records Administration, Record Group 75, Microfilms T985 and 7RA34. Flint District, #11, p. 253.
↑ Eastern Cherokee application #5591 Wash Bigfeather (son). National Archives and Records Administration, NARA M1104. Eastern Cherokee Applications of the U.S. Court of Claims, 1906-1909.

Learning about the family tree is so fascinating & eye opening & sometimes even humorous. In the Cherokee culture, you would be given a name or nickname by earning it… “ She was the daughter of Mitchell Sanders and Polly Overtaker.” In this case, in had to laugh because “Polly the Overtaker” must’ve been something else?! She must’ve been Taking Over, taking charge! If that is the case, and characteristics in the genes are handed down through the ages? That explains A LOT about some tenacious people in my immediate family who dig in their heels, to take over & take it on! Hahahaha! I have 3 sons & 5 granddaughters - the youngest is the biggest go getter off all of them combined. Maybe it’s handed down through “Polly The Overtaker?” lol.

For instance, my great grandfather, Luther Denison (possibly yours too?) was a horseman breaking wild horses off the plains of Colorado from his youth to age 70. He was in the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show along side Buffalo Bill Cody, and Annie Oakley, riding the bucking broncos & long horn bulls. He was awarded the championship belt riding. However, he turned it down because if you accepted it that meant you had to go on their traveling tour, so he declined to stay with his wife Adell Ketcham /Ketchum… (I’m looking for her parents information in particular, as well as Luther Denison who are of the Cherokee and/or Choctaw tribes) Is Jennie Sanders related to Adell Ketcham or Luther Denison? Is this his or her mother?

Anyway, about those characteristics genes being handed down? Unwitting to Luther Denison’s history… as an 11 year old, I was fearless to ride a race horse on the beach in Ensenada… i had friends with horses in 8th grade, used to ride bare back on a horse named Poquita who would race home along on a narrow path next to a gulley/ canyon & had full trust. Another friend had two horses. One had never been ridden I said “ I’ll ride her!” & jumped on! Her other horse was a jumping horse, so I ride that one next… Felt like flying over the umbilical course fences. Exhilarating! I must’ve have gotten it from Luther! My son later, also became the stage coach driver at Knotts Berry Farm! So interesting.

Thanks!
Tammy Denison

PS. Another interesting thing? I got the address from the census of William Shelt Denison ( & Luther Denison) from Durango Colorado & put the address in. Not only is the house still standing but I got to see the inside on a realtor.com website. If these walls could speak…

Regarding the Cherokee and in my case, other Indigenous Turtle Islander and South American Indigenous Nations, I am currently working through the Leeds Method of Research with my DNA matches on Ancestry looking for my Australian Indigenous ancestry.

I have had some good results with Australian Indigenous and a number of the Turtle Islander Indigenous will give me good matches as well from the Artic to at least Panama. I will also work with the Carribean and South American Indigenous as well as Rapa Nui (Easter Island) and many other ethnic groups according to my Ancient PCA Plots and list of Clans, Families and Dynasties from My True Ancestry, the ethnic groups on Gedmatch and my various DNA tests.

I am working down the list of Nations as provided by the Mormons on Family Search and using variations of the different Nations, including splitting compound names of some Indigenous Nations of Turtle Island and Australia

As for the Australian Mobs, I am using Microsoft AI, Wikipedia and other resources.

I will eventually colour each person who has at least a triangulated match a different colour pencil colour (using Brutfuner 120 oil pencils), creating surname lists for each profile and ethnic groups for each profile. The surname lists will be lists of matching surnames between myself and my Ancestry DNA matches, and the Ethnic Groups are currently showing a number of groups who were involved in the illegal slave trade of Australian Indigenous Peoples prior to white settlement in 1788.

We have a saying amongst Australian Indigenous -: BC = Before Cook = Before Capt. James Cook of the Ship Endeavour.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion