Gwladys Ddu verch Llewelyn - Her mother

Started by Dmitry Azikov on yesterday
Showing all 18 posts

Hello, I think that she should be indicated as a daughter of Joan Plantagenet, lady of Wales because it is allmost certainly that she was her natural daughter and thus an illegitimate granddaughter of king John Lackland of England. It is depicted in a book of Ian Mortimer the greatest traitor: the life of sir Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March about her great-grandson also because it was said that Joan bequeathed some of her estates to Gwladys Ddu and it is very unlikely that she did it to her unnatural stepdaughter as she had at least 2 other proven natural children: Dafydd and Helen of Quincy. https://archive.org/details/greatesttraitorl00mort/page/n9/mode/1up

The book that you link to is inaccessible for any real reading, so I can’t find the passage where Mortimer discusses Gwladys’s lineage. The wikipedia article says that “sources differ” as to whether she is Joan’s daughter, without saying what the sources are, but that it is “widely accepted” that she is Joan’s daughter. But the article gives no citations for any of this, though it lists Mortimer’s work on Mortimer genealogy as a source. However, if you go there, you discover 5hat Gwladys’s mother is not mentioned.

There is no way yet of checking the evidence and argumentation for the assertion that Joan is her mother, but perhaps it will appear.

The Welsh manuscripts do not say that Joan was her mother, however. In general our custom here has been to use, when they differ, the Welsh sources for the a welsh and the Anglo-Norman sources for the Anglo-Normans.

Private User, In a genealogical table that I found in his book and just attached in photos her mother is depicted as Joan.

Thanks! But there are no citations. Are you able to find the footnote that gives the manuscript evidence he’s using for the connection?

Private User, so I found a source of table in book it is page in free availibilty here in page 338: https://books.google.ru/books?id=KoM9FxPPvVsC&pg=PA90&hl=ru...
:)

However quality of table is quite low even worse than I attached, but it is completely identical :)

May be connection to manuscript can be found in this version of his book

However, many pages are also unavailable free there...

But it also written on deutsch german wikipedia, that Joan bequeathed some of her estates to Gwladys and it is a quite serious reason why she should be her natural daughter which Mortimer highly possible cited in his book: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwladus_Ddu#cite_note-1

Bartrum originally ascribed Tangwystl as Gwladys’s mother, but then took that connection out, which is why we connect her to “unknown mistress,” of whom Llewelyn had several. On the page of his charts we have here — https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000173392980834 — he gives five manuscript citations, mostly from the Peniarth collection at the National Library of Wales. That’s what I’m asking about — what manuscripts are Mortimer using? The information should be somewhere, but I don’t have access to the book.

My guess here is that the Anglo-Norman concern with legitimacy — which the Welsh did not share — caused them to assume, since Gwladys was so well placed, that she was Joan’s daughter. But if that information is not showing up in the Welsh manuscripts, it’s not as strong as what Bartrum is seeing — which is that her mother isn’t listed.

There is definitive proof either way, as far as I have been able to find, though certainly if there is we will be glad to shift Gwladys on over!

I note your argument that Joan would not have left a any of her lands to Gwladys unless she were her biological daughter, but Joan, who had come from a French background into her father’s Anglo-Norman court, embraced her role as a Welsh wife — she was called Siwan there, and she was living in a place where her illegitimacy under Church law was irrelevant, and a place where women’s lives differed from what she had known. i would love to know all of her bequests; several of Lewelyn’s children by other women were around, with varying roles in the country.

Private User I don't think Bartrum is disconnecting Gwladus from Tangwystl. He did not cross out the "(a)" above her name, he only changed the straight line, indicating legitimacy, to a crooked line, for illegitimacy.

Private User, and what about her another daughter Margaret are you sure that she is her real natural daughter? I read in old oxford dictionary that her mother is also uncertain and she had only 2 proven natural children. It seems that Mortimer argued in his book, that Joan left bequeathed her lands and estates and possibly also something else to both Gwladys and Margaret and thus both depicted them as her natural daughters there in the table. So this document is very interesting, but together with table in the book of Mortimer, it makes quite dubious to argue about her mother identify certainly and also I was quite surprised to see that it was written just by his own hand :)

Steven Mitchell Ferry -- true, that's the better interpretation.

So what we have is that Medlands gives Gwladys an unidentified mother, based on her mother not being in the MSS that Medlands deals with, Bartrum gives Tangwystl as her mother, based on the Welsh manuscripts, and she is also given Joan as a mother, based on no evidence that's been coughed up so far; many of the people I'm reading say "nobody knows."

Private User is the curator of this profile -- Janet, the Welsh say that Tangwystl is her mother, though there is otherwise disagreement (seldom actual argumentation, just a bunch of disagreement). What say you?

Looks like she a grandma to me it’s hard getting the Kidd lines in there.

Gwladys Ddu verch Llewelyn is your 23rd great grandmother.
You → Virginia Lee Bright (Myers) (your mother) → Freeda Belle Myers (her mother) → Alonzo Buck Potts (her father) → Private William H. Potts, (CSA) (his father) → Elizabeth Ann Potts (his mother) → Thomas Wesley Wilson (her father) → George Wilson (his father) → William Wilson (his father) → Thomas Wilson (his father) → Joseph Wilson (his father) → Margaret Wilson (his mother) → Elizabeth Kidd (her mother) → Margaret Nethercote (her mother) → John B. Lisle (Liles) (her father) → Sir William Lisle, Lord of Felton (his father) → Lady Margaret Lisle Bowes (his mother) → Maud Bowes (her mother) → Margery Fitzhugh (her mother) → Lucy Willoughby (her mother) → Aline le Strange (her mother) → Edmund FitzAlan, 2nd/7th Earl of Arundel (her father) → Richard FitzAlan, 1st/6th/8th Earl of Arundel (his father) → Isabella de Mortimer, Countess of Arundel (his mother) → Roger Mortimer, 1st Baron Mortimer (her father) → Gwladys Ddu verch Llewelyn (his mother)

Billie

Dmitry Azikov -- Bartrum cites one MS that gives Tangwystl as Gwladys's mother, but others that give Joan as her mother. So it's a matter, I gather, of the preponderance of the evidence being for Joan.

The people who say "nobody knows" are discounting the evidence given by the actual Welsh people, who are writing about actual Welsh people.

This happens a lot.

But on Geni we have the custom of considering the Welsh MSS as evidence when examining the Welsh tree; and Bartrum did the main work in collating the Welsh MS.

Private User, I also found Mortimer's genealogy of Mortimer family where he describes other members of Mortimer family which are still not added on geni.com or not connected for example descendants of 3rd son of Roger Mortimer, 1sr Earl of March Geoffrey which settled in France and founded french branch of family stsrting from p. 45 :) https://www.mortimer.co.uk/family/outlinelineage.pdf

But unfortunately there no any information about Gwladys's mother...

Dmitry Azikov -- Thanks! I will wrassle the Mortimers and iron them out.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion