Jonas B. McClung, Sr. - Disputed origins

Started by Erica Howton on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts

I’m starting this discussion on behalf of Gayle Stewart Wilson

She writes:

Jonas McClung, my 4x gg, is not the son of John "Sassy Jack" McClung and Elizabeth Bellah and has been detached. My research suggests he was the son of John McClung (1755-1806) and Elizabeth unknown of Jackson/Hall Co, GA l and his siblings were Robert, William, and David. I’ve compiled evidence based around the 1820 Georgia land lottery, which shows these were two different John McClungs.

My note:

Gayle has done amazing work analyzing McClung records, and I support her efforts. Collaboration and comments more than welcome.

Profiles:

Jonas B. McClung, Sr. married Rebecca A. McClung

He was the son of John McClung, of Jackson County & his wife Elizabeth McClung

John McClung, of Jackson County Was a different person from John "Sassy Jack" McClung, Sr. Sassy Jack is seen as the son of a John McClung He had more children than those currently seen on Geni by his wives Elizabeth McClung Unknown Crawford & Nancy McClung

John McClung, of Jackson County (1755-1806) was likely the son of Charles McClung & wife of Charles McClung

His brothers were:

1. Robert McClung
  2. William McClung
  3. David McClung

To recap the pedigree.

• 1. Jonas B. McClung, Sr. b. July 21, 1787, Warren County, Georgia, United States; d. August 3, 1867, Fayette County, Alabama, United States m. Rebecca Reed.
    • 2. John McClung, of Jackson County b. 1755, Pennsylvania; d. 1806, Jackson County, Georgia, United States m. Elizabeth
      • 3. Charles McClung b. 1712, Antrim, County Antrim, Ireland; d. 1763, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania m. unknown (not Rosella)
        • 4. James McClung b. circa 1670, Ireland or, Scotland; d. circa 1744, Christiana, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Colonial America

Charles McClung of Ireland emigrated to PA in 1740 with his father James McClung who married Margaret McClung Charles' siblings were James, John, Wiliam, Hugh, Matthew, Mary, and Isabel.

We have more pedigree to Scotland and Ireland, but dates and locations can be hazy, so best addressed separately, as need be.

To return to the evidence supporting the separation of John McClung, of Jackson County & children from John "Sassy Jack" McClung, Sr. this summarized research article is something I found particularly compelling:

Three children (called "orphans" of John McClung) were awarded land in the Hall Co., Ga land lottery in 1820: Hiram, Suel (Sewell), and Drucilla (my 3g grandmother, b. 1798). The land they won is now in Habersham Co., north of Hall Co. Sewell reports in the 1880 census (Gwinnett Co., GA) that both his parents were born in Virginia. The descendants of Sewell in GA and SC have a tradition of a Virginia history, according to Judith McClung. The DOB of Hiram, Sewell and Drucilla's generation, children of John McClung and Elizabeth Bellah, are from 1785 to ca. 1806. However, there is another family whose father is John McClung, mother unknown, who were born between 1791 and ca. 1816. Either John was a bigamist, or there were at least two John McClungs in the South around the time of the Revolution. Remember that Nancy Luster claims to have married John McClung in Alabama in 1824, which could be consistent with either of the two other reported marriages.

To return to John McClung, of Jackson County & Elizabeth McClung

The children from John McClung (1755-1806) (of Jackson County, Georgia) as best we can determine at this time are:
1-4 REUBEN McCLUNG b. 1785
2-4 JONAS McCLUNG b. 1787
3-4 NANCY McCLUNG b. ca 1790
4-4 RICHARD McCLUNG b. 1791 - NO. He was the son of Sassy Jack.
5-4 JOHN McCLUNG, Jr. b. 1793
6-4 ROBERT McCLUNG b. 1797
7-4 DRUCILLA McCLUNG b. 1798
8-4 WILLIAM WILEY b. 1799
9-4 HIRAM McCLUNG b. 1802
10-4 SEWELL HENRY McCLUNG b. 1804
11-4 ELIZABETH McCLUNG b. 1806

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion