Friedrich I Buren, Pfalzgraf of Swabia von Diessen, Graf von Andechs - Wrong Parents

Started by Rodney Piper on yesterday
Showing all 2 posts

1. FRIEDRICH [II] (-1030 or after). "Chonradus…Romanorum imperator augustus" donated property "forestum Hesilinestuda…iuxta villam Garza ubi ille rivus Inum fluvium influit…usque ad Pikkilinstein in comitatu Friderici" to the church of Salzburg by charter dated 7 Jul 1027[611]. [“Comes...Friderich” donated “molendinam...in pago Prisingine” to Kloster Obermünster by undated charter, witnessed by “salaman, comes Friderich et filius eius Friderich...”[612]. Wegener dates this document to [1030][613]. m ---. The name of Friedrich's wife is not known. Graf Friedrich [II] & his wife had [five] children:

a) BERTHOLD [I] (-after 16 May 1060). "Chunigundæ imperatricis augustæ" donated property to the church of Freising by charter dated 1025, witnessed by "…Perahtolt filius Friderici comitis…"[614]. Wegener quotes a reference to "comes Perhtoldus de Diezan" dated [1050][615]. Graf von Diessen. Wegener quotes a reference to "Otto son of Graf Perhtold" dated 16 May 1060[616]. m ---. The name and origin of the wife of Berthold [I] is not known. Wegener suggests that she was --- von Hohenwart, daughter of Konrad [von Hohenwart] & his wife ---, to explain the entry of the name Konrad into the family of the Grafen von Wolfratshausen and because property held by the latter previously belonged to the Ratpotonen family of Hohenwart[617]. However, this seems chronologically improbable. Otto Graf von Wolfratshausen, son of Graf Berthold [I], is named between the years 1060 and 1117. It therefore seems unlikely that he was born before 1040 at the earliest. In contrast, any daughter of Konrad von Hohenwart must have been born before [1005], when Konrad is recorded as deceased. Graf Berthold [I] & his wife had [three] children:

i) OTTO [II] von Diessen (-24 Apr ----, bur [Diessen] St Stephan). Ellenhart Bishop of Freising “in manus Ottonis advocati” exchanged property, which was “ex beneficio Ottonis filii Perhtoldi co[mitis]” and with his consent, by charter dated 16 May 1060[618]. Wegener identifies “Ottonis” as Otto Graf von Wolfratshausen[619]. Graf von Wolfratshausen und Diessen.

- GRAFEN von WOLFRATSHAUSEN.

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/BAVARIAN%20NOBILITY.htm#BertholdID...

The following Graf Friedrich [II] is recorded in 1025 (as the father of Berthold [I]), in 1027 (twice, once as father of Otto [I]), and in 1030. He was therefore presumably a different person from Graf Friedrich [I], who is recorded as having died in Jerusalem before 1020. It is not known how the two Grafen Friedrich may have been related, if at all. However, the continuity of references to Diessen suggests a close connection, maybe father and son. Wegener conflates Graf Friedrich [I] and Graf Friedrich [II] as he appears to ignore the reference to the death of the former before 1020[609]. The De Fundatoribus Monasterii Diessenses does not name a second Graf Friedrich, although this is not surprising considering that it appears to ignore the generations between Graf Friedrich [I] and Otto Graf von Wolfratshausen[610]. Generally, the reconstruction of the family of the Grafen von Diessen is hindered rather than helped by the speculative connections suggested by Wegener. An attempt has been made in the following passages to explain these speculations and highlight any contradictions with primary sources which he does not cite. Unfortunately, it appears that many of these misleading speculations have found their way into the tables in Europäische Stammtafeln in which they appear as definite. In the case of this family, therefore, it is more important than ever to use the "back to basics" approach and start again from scratch in compiling information from primary sources. Hopefully, the results are relatively accurate but it is admitted that it is particularly challenging to achieve a definitive reconstruction of this family and no doubt further improvements are possible.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion