Edith (Turberville) Coker - Parents?

Started by Erica Howton on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts

Private User Raised questions about the mother and wife of Richard Morton of Milborne St. Andrew, Sheriff of Somerset & Dorset

It seems they are indeed vexed profiles without clear origins stories. But, they were both supposed have been of the Turberville family.

This is what I’ve found so far.

Edith Coker Was living in 1500 when she and her sons John Morton, of Sturminster Marshall and William Morton were left legacies in the Will of John Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury and her sons inherited property from him.

There is recent scholarship about the archbishop. “THE WILL OF JOHN MORTON, archbishop of Canterbury, c. 1420–1500” by BETTY I. KNOTT < PDF > describes his origins as:

John Morton was a member of a large family of considerable local standing in the area around Bere (Regis) and Milborne St Andrew in Dorset. He was one of four sons born to Richard Morton of Milborne St Andrew, and was born (c. 1420) either in Bere or in Milborne. It is possible that his mother was Elizabeth Turberville of Bere.

Elizabeth Morton has “traditionally” shown as:

Richard Morton, of Millborne St. Andrew married Elizabeth, dau, of Richard Turberville of Bere Regis, by Cecilia Beauchamp sister and heir of Sir John Beauchamp of Hatch, relict of Roger Seymour.

NOTE: There is no way the identification of his mother's parents can be correct, as Richard Turberville, of Bere Regis died in 1362. It is possible that she belonged to another branch of the family - the Turbervilles were very numerous about this time.]

The family chart published by Dr. Knott doesn’t identify the parents of Elizabeth (mother) or Edith (wife). But she does identify their surnames as Turberville, and I think we should also.

www.geni.com/media/proxy?media_id=6000000203542221852&size=large

It is likewise chronologically impossible for Edith to have been the same person as Edith Coker daughter of George Turbeville of Bere Regis, Esq. & Audrey Turberville

According to The Visitation of Dorsetshire, page 43:

https://archive.org/details/visitationofdors00harvuoft/visitationof...

GEORGE TURBERVILLE of Bere Regis, Esq., eldest son and heir to John, mar. to his first wife Awdry, da. of ... Mathew, Citizen and Alderman of London, and by her had issue, — ROBERT, his eldest son ; Nicholas, second son ; Thomas, third son ; William, fourth son ; Elizabeth, eldest da. mar. to Thomas Elrington of Hackney, co. Middlesex, Gent. ; Edithe, first mar. to John Gerard of Mayne, co. Dorset; after to Thomas Coker of Mapowder. co. Dorset, Gent. ; Jane, mar. to George Watkins of Mapowder, Gent. ; Mary, mar. to her first husband John Wutte,, and after to Thomas Turner of Bathe co. Somerset, Gent.

So, https://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/tt/turberville2.php seems incorrect in placing Edith, wife of Richard Morton, in this generation. They were following the pedigree published in “The Life of John Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury.” By Reginald Illingworth Woodhouse. Page 169.

https://books.google.com/books?id=l1ILAAAAYAAJ&vq=169&pg=RA1-PP1#v=...

Was she Edith, daughter of Richard Turberville and Jone Bentham?

From The visitation of Dorsetshire, A.D. 1565 < Archive.Org >

RICHARD TURBERVILE of Bere Regis, Esq., second son to William and brother and heir to the said John, mar. Jone, da. of ... and by her had issue, — Alys ; — after, the said Richard mar. to his second wife Jone, da. of Thomas Bentham of Co. . Wilts, and by her had issue, — JOHN, his eldest son ; Thomas, second son ; and Richard, third son ; and Edithe.

Thanks Erica.
I've come across the Cokers of Mappowder in another branch of my family also the Ger(r)ards, both in the 16th Century.
One of the Turberville families were settled at Woolbridge Manor, Wool, Dorset. (Probably originally D'Urberville)

There was another Turberville family in ?Somerset/South Wales? I'll check on that location & get back to you.

Perhaps for now we should stick or leave it at nephews of Cardinal John Morton?

Thanks Erica.
I've come across the Cokers of Mappowder in another branch of my family also the Ger(r)ards, both in the 16th Century.
One of the Turberville families were settled at Woolbridge Manor, Wool, Dorset. (Probably originally D'Urberville)

There was another Turberville family in ?Somerset/South Wales? I'll check on that location & get back to you.

Perhaps for now we should stick or leave it at nephews of Cardinal John Morton?

I think the next step is to fill in the Coker’s better.

I did add Visitation links to the Turbervilles.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion