William L. Morrow - From my inbox:

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Source: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/39862860/john-thomas-morrow
    Geni member
  • https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/31649978/jane-morrow added by Rebecca Moss
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Robin Farley Dixson, Source: https://old.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8033098
    Geni member
Showing 1-30 of 35 posts
yesterday at 7:47 AM

Managers of William L. Morrow,

I am contacting you about this profile: William Morrow

I have the newest book on the Pedens of South Carolina
@2013 It corrects Eleanor Hewells original book.

William Morrow cannot be the parents of William Morton. Morrow is the son of Robert Morrow and Jane Peden Morton Morrow. William Morton was the son of John Morton and was born AFTER the crossing in 1768. William Morrow m. Jane Reid 9 spe 1787 d, 20 Feb 1873 They had 14 children.

William Morton was b 1773 and left SC in the early 1800s moving to Giles Co TN where he and Thomas Stanford appear on th 1812 tax list. Both men and their families moved to Marion Co AL (in the area that became Fayette County in 1824) where they were enumerated in the 1820. In 1825 William Morton received a land grant in Fayette Co. About this time some Morrows and Jane's brother Samuel Peden and their families also moved to Fayette Couny at this time. William Morton m. Mary Stanford b. 1788 in Chester District, SC She was the daughter of RW soldier Thomas Stanford b 1756

I have some of this at wikitree https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Morton-1442 and Peden-4. But at present I only have 2 children in of 8 mentioned in the book.
james B. b a. 1800
Thomas L b .a 1800
Agnes b a 1803 d. 1857 Johnson County TX
John b. a. 1804 m. Isabell d bef 1840 Isabelle d. 24 mar 1861
Martha n. 28 Jan 1810 TN d. 20 Mar 1891 Lamar co AL
Mary b 27 27 dec 1811 d 13 Sep 1873 Sanford Lamar Co AL
Alexander Peden b 27 Apr 1813 In Covington, Giles, TN d. 29 Jul 1862 Grant Co AR
William b. 1814 maury co TN.

All this really proves is we can put A.P in the same locations as William was reported to be in.

L

yesterday at 7:50 AM

WHICH "son" William?

And why are any children named Morton?

William L. Morrow
Birth: November 05, 1777
Greenville, Greenville County, South Carolina, United States
Death: January 24, 1864 (86)
Somerville, Fayette County, Tennessee, United States
Place of Burial: Whiteville, Hardeman County, Tennessee, United States
Immediate Family:
Son of Robert Morrow and Jane Morrow (Peden)
Husband of Jane Morton (Mitchell) and Agnes Mary Morrow (Stanford)
Father of John Morton; Williams Morton, Jr; James Benton Morton; Nancy Agnes Emoline Quinn (Morton); Martha Morton; Alexander Peden Morton; Abigail Morton; William Morton and William Morton, Jr « less
Brother of Samuel Morrow, Sr; Janet Morrow; Thomas Morrow; George Morrow and Mary White (Morrow)
Half brother of Thomas Morrow; David Morrow; Thomas Morrow; John Morrow; William Morton; James Morton; Mary Elizabeth Morton; David Morton; James H. Morton; Andrew Morton; John M. Morton, Jr; David M. Morton; William Morton; Joel Morton; Mary Elizabeth Morton and Jane Morton

yesterday at 9:03 AM

Cynthia, THIS is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. William Morton CANNOT be the son of William Morrow. Morrow isn't old enough. The checker proves it. It doesn't help that Jane named her Morrow children AFTER her Morton Children.

I have a dr's appt today and will be gone the biggest part of the day, 11-3. When I get back I'll copy my book.

yesterday at 9:07 AM

Lynette Jester
Dates aside, why are these called Morton?

yesterday at 10:14 AM

Jane Peden Morton Morrow... She was m. 2x. the ships passenger's list gives a Morton and a Martin family, different ages. the leader of the Conventers was Rev William Martin. The first crossing of the ship James and Mary was in 1767, in the winter. They landed in Charleston. The 1767 crossing was an advance party. The John and Jane Martin family who are the parents of Andrew. Please see the passenger list http://sciway3.net/proctor/ships/v2/jandmary1767.html The Snow James & Mary of the 1767 crossing. The rest of the Coventers came over in 1772 in 5 ships. And the Snow James and Mary was in that group. AND on the 1772 crossing there was a small pox outbreak and one ship was quarrentined.

John Morton died about 1773-4, and Jane m Robert Morrow. William Morton was b. abt 1773 and Samuel Morrow was b 8 Nov 1775.

Private User
yesterday at 10:40 AM

Why was JANE PEDEN MORTON disconnected from her family, for heaven's sake? I don't understand that.

Private User
yesterday at 10:44 AM

The children listed for Robert Morrow on the DAR: Thomas, David, Samuel, and Robert, Jr. (no William).

yesterday at 10:47 AM

This discussion is an extension of a message thread to managers.
A correction of the profiles is in progress.
I am not familiar enough but see several issues that have been being corrected for the past several hours but will take a bit more time, I think.
Please help if you are able. My line is Peden.
Somehow Morton and Morrow are confused is the issue, I think

yesterday at 10:48 AM

Consistency Check:
William Morton born before the birth of his father William L. Morrow.

William L. Morrow is under 12 years old for the birth of his child William Morton, Jr.

William Morton born before the birth of his mother Agnes Mary Morrow (Stanford).

William Morton, Jr born before the birth of his mother Agnes Mary Morrow (Stanford).

Private User
yesterday at 10:49 AM

Jane Morton Morrow

From her profile page (which is an MP):

Jane was the daughter of John Peden, a Revolutionary War soldier and Peggy McDill.

Jane was first married to John Morton. After his death, she married Robert Morrow, who was a Revolutionary War soldier.

yesterday at 10:49 AM

See also
https://www.geni.com/discussions/274613

It makes more sense to have one discussion and tag profiles but sometimes people will cross post and tagging is difficult from different devices

yesterday at 10:52 AM

Erica Howton 's curator note/header on the curated profile for Jane:
Jane was first married to John Morton. After his death, she married Robert Morrow, who was a Revolutionary War soldier.

There have been a few merges that added an extra husband and clean up is in progress but apparently the fathers got mixed up and I don't know if a Gedcom was involved or not.

Private User
yesterday at 10:54 AM

Jane is thought to be buried in the Morrow Cemetery in Alabama, alongside Robert.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/31649978/jane-morton_morrow

yesterday at 10:58 AM

SPOUSE
Number Name: 1) JANE PEDEN MORTON

Child [Spouse #] Spouse
ROBERT [1] ROSA DOROUGH
SAMUEL [1] ROSA DOROUGH
THOMAS [1] HANNAH RICHARDSON
DAVID [1] NANCY DARRAUGH

yesterday at 10:59 AM

COMMENTS(Overview)

Created: 2021-08-05 08:44:30.45, Updated: 2021-08-05 08:44:30.45, By: 1) EL - THE NAMES OF THE PATRIOT AND HIS SON SAMUEL ARE REVERSED ON NN'S 229111 & 92712+201. THE PATRIOT
Created: 2021-08-05 08:44:30.453, Updated: 2021-08-05 08:44:30.453, By: 2) WAS ROBERT MORROW, AND HIS SON WHO MARR ROSA DOROUGH WAS SAMUEL MORROW. SEE DATACF. 8/2021.

Private User
yesterday at 11:01 AM

I just think a little fact checking and perhaps good research ought to be done before disconnecting DAR families or really any long established family group. I don't see any good purpose for disconnecting Robert and Jane here.

yesterday at 11:05 AM

or rather NO son named Richard---
SAMUEL married ROSA DOROUGH
THOMAS married HANNAH RICHARDSON
DAVID married NANCY DARRAUGH

yesterday at 11:07 AM

Private User sorry-- we have been crossing in the air with our posts and I have not refreshed lol

Thank you for all the help. Jane is my 7th great grandmother's sister

yesterday at 11:08 AM

Corrections can be messy when in progress.

yesterday at 11:09 AM

Robert Morrow should be MP'd I think.

yesterday at 11:10 AM

Jane Peden was a True Heroine of the Revolution, one of only three women recognized with this title in the state of South Carolina. Jane and her sister were credited for saving the lives of a number of American soldiers during the battle of Old Ninety-Six. They went into the battlefield with their wagons and took the wounded soldiers into their homes to nurse them back to health.

vs
GEDCOM Note
Jane Peden Morton was one of two women from South Carolina to receive a bronze plaque on her grave for service in the Revolutionary War. Jane and her sister would pick up wounded soldiers from the battlefield near their home in South Carolina, take them to their home and treat the soldiers' wounds. Jane Peden is buried in Morgan County, Alabama, near Somerville in the Morrow Cemetery.

Private User
yesterday at 11:17 AM

She must have been a lovely lady and I'm glad to see she's reunited with her second husband.

I with you all the best in straightening out the Mortons. I'm happy to help if I find anything of value, but my main focus is usually on Morrow families, since my g-grandmother was a Morrow.

The Morrows are everywhere though, so it's enough of a challenge for me to try to keep them straight.

yesterday at 11:23 AM

Yes, pretty amazing, Debra!

yesterday at 2:29 PM

Still looking for a list of children for Jane and Morton. They are more difficult to me than second husband Morrow who is DAR and fairly well documented:

https://ia800904.us.archive.org/29/items/pedensofamericab00hewe/ped... :
"The_Morrows, to whom Jane Peden's second husband belonged, was a colonial family of Pennsylvania."
Very interesting reading

yesterday at 2:30 PM

"All Padans, Padens, Pedens in America have a common
ancestry, as is proven by numbers of letters from almost
every State telling the same legend, "my Peden ancestor was
from South Carolina, his name was James, Thomas, William,
Samuel, Alexander, David, or Mary Peden who married Jas. Alexander, or Jane Peden, who married first a Morton then
a Morrow." They are in Tennessee, Missouri, Ohio, Indiana,
Illinois, Iowa, Michingan, Minnesota, Nevada, Wyoming,
Washington, Utah, California, Texas, Arkansas, Kansas,
Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North and South
CaroHna, Oklahoma, New York, Massachusetts, as well as elsewhere. Some are combating the Papist in South
America, one is in China, some are in the Philippines. All these do not bear the clan name of Peden (original spelling),
but claim and prove their descent from John Peden and Peggy
McDill."

yesterday at 2:31 PM

Here we go:
DAVID MORTON.
Among the strong, noble characters of a stern age, and
of the race of Peden, there stands out in bold and beautiful
reHef, like some statue in marble that of David Morton, the
third son of James, or David Morton and Jane Peden. Born
in Antrim. Ireland, in 1760, he was brought to America when
a boy of eight or ten by his grandfather, John Peden, along
with his mother and her other children, as his father died
while they were very young.

yesterday at 3:03 PM

"X., Katie married her first cousin, John Morton (house of Jane) ; he died, she then married his half-brother, Samuel
Morrow (house of Jane). No further record."

Showing 1-30 of 35 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion