Will the real Grace Boswell please stand up?

Started by Susanne Floyd on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
yesterday at 11:41 PM

Profiles in question:

Grace Boswell

Grace Boswell Harrell

I seem to be connected by marriage to the first one and by blood to the second. Question is - are they one and the same.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Info that I can find on Grace Boswell Hargis:

From https://sites.rootsweb.com/~tnsmith/ccarticles/jan28-ABCD-1954.htm

THE LINE OF WILLIAM ASA HARGIS

William Asa Hargis was born in England. As it appears that it was necessary for a man to have been over twenty-one to have bought and sold land, it seems certain that he was past twenty-one in 1668. He married Elizabeth Draper, the daughter of John Draper. He died in Charles County, Maryland, in 1686. His will mentions his wife and three minor sons, John Draper Hargis, William Hargis and Roger Hargis. The records show Elizabeth Hargis, the widow of William, sold her land and later Virginia records indicate that she went with her parents to that State.

John Draper Hargis lived for a while in Accomac County, Virginia; and, while living in this place, married a Miss Fountain, of King William County, Va., on the James River. Their family home was called “Fountain Bleu.” John Draper Hargis died in 1730 at Oldham, Westmoreland County, Va., and his will was recorded Nov. 25, 1730. The will shows his three children to be, John, Mary and Minerett.

'''John Hargis, the only son of John Draper Hargis, married Grace Boswell. This John died early in life and left one child, a son, John.'''

John Hargis married Ann Elizabeth Whiteside. In 1768 John and Ann Elizabeth Hargis left Virginia, after the death of her mother, and went to Christian County, Kentucky. John and Ann Elizabeth had four sons, William, John, Whiteside and Samuel. When John and Ann left Virginia, William, John and Whiteside did not go with them.

In 1773, several members of the family, including William, his brothers, John and Whiteside, and their families were with Boone on his second expedition into Kentucky. When on Powell’s River in Wise County, Va., they were attacked by Indians, in which fight Whiteside Hargis was killed and his wife, daughter and two brothers were taken prisoners. William Hargis escaped and returned to Westmoreland County, Va., where he married Miss Dopson, a daughter of William and Martha Dopson. John became separated from the rest of the family and moved to Russell County, Va., setting near Lebanon. He married Elizabeth Freelove. I have no record of Samuel. William served in the Revolution as a Sergeant under Capt. George Clark. John also served in the Revolution.

William Hargis went with his parents-in-law, the William Dopson family, to Hampshire county, Va. (now W. Va.). The will of William Dopson was proved her Oct. 15, 1798. It mentions his wife, Martha; a single daughter, Margaret; a daughter, who was the wife of William Hargis; and a grandson, William Hargis; and grandsons, Nathaniel, Thomas and William Parker. Early in the 1790’s the family moved to Hardin County, Kentucky. William Hargis, who married Miss Dopson, then moved to Christian County, Kentucky, where his father had moved earlier. He died there in 1819. William and his wife had five sons; Thomas, Abraham, John, William C., and Isaac Dopson Hargis.

About 1816 or18 several Hargis brothers migrated Westward from Christian County, Kentucky. Isaac Dopson Harsis and his older brother, William C., came to Missouri. Abraham moved to Southern Illinois, near Cairo. John moved to White County, Illinois, about 1828 and settled near Graysville. In 1840 he moved again to Christian County, Illinois, near Sharpsburg, where he died September 11, 1857.

William C. Hargis married Elizabeth Reed in Hardin County, Kentucky, Jan. 21, 1799. His brother, Isaac Dopson Hargis married Malinda Reed on April 4, 1812. We find them in Howard County, Missouri, in the 1830 census. William C. owned considerable property in and near Fayette in 1824. The children of these brothers, as nearly as I know, were:

William C. Hargis’ children:

Caleb, m. Eliz. Cleeton; Joshua, m. Samantha Partin; Cynthis, m. Thos. Allred; Hardin, m. Lucinda Bozarth; Josiah, no information; Lucy Ann, m. Lorenzo D. Morgan; Melinda, no information; Andrew J., m. Emily Alfred.

John Hargis’ children:

William, Manassa, Thomas, Ransom.

Isaac Dopson Hargis’ children:

Josiah Newton, John Dopson, Andrew Jackson, Mariah, m. Moses Cleeton, Messina, m. A LaRue. Thos. and Abraham nothing known.

William C . and Elizabeth moved to Sullivan County, Missouri, where they were in the 1850 census.

Info that I can find on Grace Boswell Hardy (and I am wondering if that name should be Hargis) Harrell - from her profile:

Parents of Grace Boswell Harrell (Hardy) are unknown. It is not known if Boswell was the name of a first husband or middle name, but middle names for women were not common at the time. SFG 10/11/20

She was mentioned in her husband's will written April 1759, so she was still alive at that time and died after April 1759. - GRS 1/17/19

--------------------

JOHN HARRELL, son of Thomas Harrell and Ann Smith , was born 1692 in New Kent, New Kent, Virginia, United States. He died 1759 in Bertie County, North Carolina, United States. GRACE BOSWELL HARDY was born 1692 in New Kent, New Kent, Virginia, United States. She died 1792 in North Carolina, United States.

Children of JOHN HARRELL and GRACE BOSWELL HARDY are:

# Ezekial Harrell, b. 1736
# Sarah Harrell, b. 1725
# John Harrell, b. 1719
# David Harrell, b. 1710
# Esias Harrell, b. 1721
# Jesse Harrell, b. 1729
# Israel Hardy Harrell, b. 1738
# Josiah Harrell, b. 1733

Mentioned in the will of her husband John Harrill: retrieved from https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Hardy-1879

Will In the Name of God amen. I, John Harrell, of the County and Province aforesd., being of Body but of Perfect and Sound Mind and Memory (Thanks be to God), Do make, Ordain, Constitute and Appoint this my last Will and Testament, Hereby Revoking and Disannulling all others heretofore by me made, & this only to be made & held as my last Will and Testament, in manner and form following:

Imprimis. I Leave to my Beloved Wife, Grace Harrill, Dureing her Natural life or Widowhood, the Use of the Plantation -whereon I now live, & all the Land thereunto Belonging, and all my Stock of Horses, Cattle, hoggs & Sheep, & all my Houshold furniture & Plantation utensils; and the use of the following Negroes, (to wit) Patt, Bett, Rachel, Sambo, Jemmy, Jenny, Phillis, & Jack, and after her Decease or Marriage, to be Given & Divided in the following Legacies.

Item. I Give and Bequeath to my Son, Jesse Harril, his heirs and Assigns forever, the Plantation whereon I Now live, and all the Land thereunto belonging, and two Negroes (to wit) Patt & Jack.

Item. I Give and Bequeath to my Son, David Harrell, his heirs and Assigns forever, the Plantation whereon he now lives, Containing One hundred & Sixty Acres, being part of the Tract of Land I bought of Mr Thomas Barker, and One Negroe Girl Nam'd Fillis.

Item. I Give & Bequeath to my Son, Josiah Harrill, his heir? & Assigns for ever, the Plantation whereon he now l Now I lives containing One hundred & Sixty Acres, being part of the Tract of Land I bought of Mr. Thomas Baker: and One Negroe Wench Named Bett.

Item. I Give and Bequeath to my Son, Ezekiel Harrill, his heirs and Assigns forever, the Plantation whereon he now lives, Containing One hundred & Sixty Acres, being part of the Tract of Land I Bought of Mr. Thomas Barker, and One Negroe Boye Named Jemmy, and all the Cattle that is of his Deceas'd Brother Hardys Mark.

Item. My Will and Desire is that my Two Sons, David & Josiah Harrill Pay the above Sums of Money to my Grand Children above Mentioned, and that my son, David, for Paying his part of the Money shall have one Negroe Girl named Rachel, for which he is to pay Thirty Pounds Virginia Money, & my Son Josiah shall have One Negroe Boy Named Sambo, for which he is to pay Twenty four Pounds, like money, only in Case the sd- Negroes or either of them shall die before my Wife, Grace, dies lien, and in that Case, the sd Money is to be paid out of my whole Estate, and my sd Grand Children shall allow a Proportionable abatement with the Rest of my Children-

Item. I give and Bequeath the use of my Copper Still, to my four Sons, only, that they shall still all their Mother Liquor during her life, and after her Decease, I give the sd. Still to be Equally Divided Between my said four sons & their Heirs.

Item. I give and Bequeath my whole Estate that is not above Given in Legacies, After the Decease of my Wife, Grace, to be Equally Divided Between my four sons, Jessee, David, Josiah, and Ezekiel Harrill, and there Heirs & Assigns forever.

Lastly, I Nominate, Constitute & Appoint my three Sons, Jessee, David, & Josiah Harrill, Executors to this my last Will and Testament, In Witness whereof, the sd John Harrill hath hereunto set his hand and Seal, the first Day of November, Anno. Dom., 1756.

Sign'd Seal'd Published & Declared by the sd. John Harrill, to be his Last Will and Testament in Witness. George Williams, Edward Toole

===References
*https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Hardy-1879
*https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:376S-DJQ
*http://tooleyandburden.com/fam1503.html
*http://harrellfamilies.com/Chapter%203.htm

The time period seems to work for them to be the same and so does the location. The dates are a little wonky, but if she only had one son with John Hargis and then married Ezekial Harrell and had additional children, well, it may make sense. I don't know, but something isn't right with the two.

Hopefully we can get additional info. I am heading back to the Christmas projects, but I would also like to find the right whiskey maker project for Ezekial Harrell. He wasn't a bootlegger. It was a legal industry. Oh well. more to think about.

Today at 12:43 AM

Unfortunately, the "Harrell Family of Eastern North Carolina" only covers one line of the family and not this line.

Here is a chart that seems to be helpful:

https://hdhdata.org/roots/c2739.html

According to the book and the chart - seemingly not connected but supporting the following:

Thomas Harrell b. circa 1640 Nansemond Co. VA; d ? Nansemond Co. VA had three sons >

1. John Tyler Harrell, Sr., of Nansemond

2. Thomas Harell

3. Richard Harrell b. before 1673, Nansemond Co. VA d. after 1761, Bertie Co. NC

I can make a profile for Richard and start his line, then I also recommend that the current parents listed be disconnected. I can find no sources for them but do find credible sources for a new profile - Thomas Harrell of Nansemond b. 1640 - d ? and Unknown wife of Thomas Harrell of Nansemond.

Richard C Harrell (No sources for being a parent of the Harrells of NC.)

Maria Harrell (No sources for being a parent of the Harrells of NC.)

Please advise. The Harrell lines need attention and I can give them some with a few resources that I have, I think.

Today at 1:04 AM

Profiles made for Richard Harrell and his wife Margaret Harrell

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion