Ann Helms (Tilghman) - Parents

Начала Debbie Gambrell сегодня
Возникла проблема на этой странице?

Участники:

Упомянутые профили:

Показаны все сообщения (2)
Сегодня в 8:25 после полудня

This Ann is a direct ancestor on my son's paternal side, my son being a descendant of her son George's branch of the family.

The profile notes make a good case about the geography not fitting, but I think that's an error here on Geni, because in my Ancestry tree I have:

Ann Tilghman Helms
BIRTH ABT. 1694 • Queen Anne's County, Maryland, Colonial America
DEATH ABT. 1725 • North Carolina, Colonial America

which is what every tree in our Ancestry Hints has for her. I don't have a clue where the NC birthplace came from. And all the Ancestry trees show the parental connections for her identical to what is connected here on Geni.

Her husband's Find-a-Grave lists her maiden name as Tilghman and has them as parents of a son named Tillman Helms.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/126481625/john-isaac-helms

This site also shows a son named Tilman Helms. It's possible her maiden name has been deduced by the naming of a son Tillman. ?

https://gw.geneanet.org/tdowling?lang=en&pz=timothy+michael&amp...

I noticed in connecting my son's lines in our tree that he is a Tilghman / Tillman descendant more than one way and that those lines married more than once or twice in my maternal Hynson lines. Using those connections as a verification for the interactions of these folks, they make sense for Ann to have been a TIlghman even if she may have been from another branch of the family.

I know the name Anna Maria seems to have been popular in the Lloyd and Tilghman families. However, I do question whether Col. Richard Tilghman II and wife Anna Maria Lloyd actually had two daughters by that name:

Anna Maria Hemsley

Anna Maria Earle

I have literally thousands of pages of genealogy info shared with me by one of my son's paternal cousins who shares their Ingram / Tilgham (Tillman) lineage. It has been years since I looked through all that. I will go back through and see if the research on the lines done by I think a Dr. Charles Ingram has any info on the Helms / Tilghman connection. Probably won't get that done until tomorrow.

This site mentions this Ann's sons George, Tilman and Jonathan and the brothers came to NC from Pennsylvania, So, again, not seeing where this Ann had a NC birthplace but where they ended up later in life. Ann's husband was born in Pennsylvania. So it seems logical they would have met and married in the Maryland-Pennsylvania region, had a family born there and later relocated to NC.

I've lost the link for this info, need to relocate it:

"...George Helms may have come from Bethlehem, Bucks County, Pennsylvania to North Carolina with brothers Tilman and Jonathan. A grant was issued to Jonathan 4 April 1750 in Anson County, North Carolina. Jonathan, George and Tilman were listed together on the 1763 Tax List of Anson County."

In my Googling a couple of trees also showing this Ann born in NC, but as indicated above, this doesn't fit with her marriage to a husband from Pennsylvania and children born in Pennsylvania. Ann's Wiki page indicates they got married in NJ. So lots of hopping around going on between Maryland, NJ, PA

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Tilghman-163

Wife of John Isaac Helms — married 1716 in Gloucester, New Jersey

but even Wiki has her born in NC

Furthermore, the Wiki notes make it clear that the info on this lines has been sketchy for a long time:

The following is from a family researcher trying to sort fact from fiction regarding the Helms Family. The matter in question is whether or not John and Anne were the parents of George, Tilman and Jonathan. An early source suggests that the parents of these three men were unknown. This source is cited on the profile pages for the three brothers.

"So far, there is no evidence of any John Issac Helms. Bessie Conkwright wrote a book about the Leonard Helms family of Virginia. Col. Rogers was impressed with her work on the Helms so he commissioned her to research the George Helms of NC family. Bessie had just gotten started on the research when she died. She had found Helms in Bucks County but they were there closer to 1790 and are not the NC family. There were no records for any "John Helms" in NC until about 1775. Those "John records were for Blackhead John and Whitehead John, the sons of George and Tilman. There was a 1749 land record for Jonathan Helms who was probably the brother of George and Tilman. Anna Maria Tilghman, daughter of Richard, was born about 1709 and married William Hemsley about 1735. William died in 1736 and Anna had their son, William in 1736 or 1737. He inherited all his father property and grew up to be the Governor of Maryland. The dates for Anna kind of fit if she had a previous marriage we dont know about. She remarried Robert LLoyd of Maryland. So you can see what a mes this Helms genealogy is."

Even so, they have this Ann connected to the parents from Maryland.

Notice in those notes there is no mention of Anna Maria Tilghman who married a man by the surname Earle. So that helps determine which of those 'daughters' for Col. Richard Tilghman and Anna Maria Lloyd doesn't fit into the family. It confirms the daughter Anna Maria who married first William Hemsley and second Robert Lloyd.

The more I read, it 'seems' I may have to cut my son's paternal Helms / Tilghman lines unless the documents I'm going to pour through tomorrow confirm anything. I think errors have been perpetuated online in various trees and sites and no real documentation is available to prove anything.

Сегодня в 8:37 после полудня

This link references documentation by the Genealogical Department of the LDS church, was researched and compiled by a Gerald C. Helms in 1926

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/34822-tilma...

It's 431 pages on microfilm. Pg. 4 lists the brothers George, Jonathan and Tilman and possible brothers Moses and Thomas as the first generation, with there parents unknown:

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/viewer/34822/?offset=0#p...

If this is the case, then my son's paternal line can only be validated to George Helms and his wife and the connections beyond George and his brothers is speculative.

Показаны все сообщения (2)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении