Isabel (Elizabeth) de Gaunt - Am I Missing Something?

Started by Private User on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts
Private User
yesterday at 8:42 PM

She's supposedly my 22nd g-grandmother, in line with Charlemagne -- but I see no evidence here of her existence.

Private User
yesterday at 8:48 PM

She was originally entered into the record as "Matilda", so why/how was her name changed to "Isabel (Elizabeth)"?

MATILDA de Gand. Her parentage and marriage are noted in Domesday Descendants[997]. m WILLIAM de Welle of Wells and Claxby, Norfolk, son of WALTER FitzRademer & his wife ---

I think this proves she did exist, but the name is wrong (which is confusing).

Private User
yesterday at 9:05 PM

According to Medlands, the only child of Matilda de Gand and WILLIAM de Welle of Wells and Claxby, Norfolk, was:

ISABEL (m. ROBERT de Tattershall, son of HUGH Brito [de Tattershall] & his wife)

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/engunttz.htm#_Toc51670251

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISHNOBILITYMEDIEVAL3T-Z.htm#Ro...

Isabel and her husband had five Tattershall children: Philip, John, Robert, Roger, and Walter.

Private User
yesterday at 9:14 PM

Here is Isabel, the daughter of Matilda de Gant and William of Welles and Claxby. But she's been assigned the wrong mother (Alice van Gant, Matilda/"Isabel" 's sister).

Isabel de Fitzwalter

Private User
yesterday at 9:16 PM

According to Medlands (linked above) Robert de Tattershall m. ISABEL, daughter of WILLIAM FitzWalter de Welle of Wells and Claxby, Norfolk & his wife Matilda de Gand ([1134/35]-after 1212)

Private User
yesterday at 9:24 PM

Somehow Matilda de Gant was renamed "Isabel" and her only child, a daughter named Isabel who married Robert de Tattershall -- was attributed to her sister, Alice (van Gant) de Mowbray.

Alice never married any Tattershall. She only married Ilbert de Lacy and Roger de Mowbray.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion