Started by Erica Howton on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
Today at 3:36 PM

Managers of John Stewart Porterfield,

I am contacting you about this profile: John Stewart Porterfield

You have him connected to the wrong family. This John Porterfield (1675-1738), the Trenton Merchant, is often confused with his cousin, John Porterfield (1675-1739), the fore father of the Pennsylvania Porterfields.

Religion: Presbyterian

John Porterfield (1675-1738), who came to America. New Jersey Archives, Vol. 30 P 383: "John Porterfield, merchant of Trenton, New Jersey, by will dated 1735, leaves property to brother and nephews in Scotland." Hall's History of the Presbyterian Church in Trenton, pp. 72-73: "John Porterfield died in 1738. His will, dated three years before, describes him 'of Trenton, Merchant', and devises a thousand acres on the south branch of the Raritan, and other property in east New Jersey, 'late recovered from John Drummond, Earl of Melfort', one of the noble proprietaries. It mentions his brother, Alexander, of Duchall, in Scotland, and a nephew, William Rallston of the shire of Ayr and 'Boyd Porterfield, grandson to my brother'. He bequeathed to another nephew, William Farquhar, 'chirurgeon of Brunswick, all my interest in one third part of the forge at Trenton.' (This will, as a photostatic copy shows, was written by John Porterfield, the devisor, himself and is very legibly written and properly arranged, in excellent language. The word Duchall is spelled by him who was reared at Duchall as it is written here. Evidently the Porterfields who owned the Duchall estate knew how to spell it. However, many, many other records and authors examined in the course of this reseach use the Duchal spelling, omitting the last letter.)

Sincerely,

Ron Harper

Today at 3:44 PM

I don’t see him listed at Stirnet.

From https://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/porterfield1.php

• (1) William Porterfield (dvp) m. (1671) Annabel Stewart (dau of Sir John Stewart of Ardgowan & Blackhall)
    • (A) Alexander Porterfield 'of that ilk' of Porterfield & Blacksolme (d before 14.11.1743) m1. (1694) Catherine Boyd (dau of William Boyd, 1st Earl of Kilmarnock who d 03.1692)
    • (B) Anna Porterfield probably of this generation m. Gavin Ralston of that ilk
    • (C) Jean Porterfield probably of this generation m. (1700) James Farquhar of Gilminscroft
Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion