Peter Field Archer - At least two Peter Field(ing) Archer's in mid-1700's?

Started by Dan Cornett on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
yesterday at 9:35 PM

I'm sort of convinced there were at least two different Peter Archer in Virginia in the mid-1700's

Peter Field Archer m. Martha Jefferson Archer
(likely son of Edward Archer & Mary Walthall)
and
Major Peter Field Archer, I m. Elizabeth Archer
(likely son of John Archer & Elizabeth Trent)
... and I've not seen anything yet which clearly indicates that either of these Peter's married more than once.

Unfortunately, their info has gotten intermixed, and I'm not clear on which dates belong with which person, and there may also be a bit of confusion on children. It's pretty clear that Martha Jefferson Archer died in 1798, so she couldn't have children born later than that.

So ... let's see if we can sort out some primary sources to clarify these two families. (Might also have to start with verifying the children of the parents of those two Peter's.)

yesterday at 9:53 PM

Aaron Furtado Baldwin has been working in this area. I’ll take a look & see what I think also.

yesterday at 10:49 PM

Funny that you bring this up as I'm working on ... now I'm pretty sure that Edward's son was Peter Jefferson Archer, see:

Peter Jefferson Archer to Thomas Jefferson, 8 February 1818

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/03-12-02-0351

Thomas Jefferson to Peter Jefferson Archer, 10 March 1818

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/03-12-02-0425

However, I think there may have been an uncle of the same name. The name is a combination of Major Peter Field who married Judith Soane (daughter of Col. Henry Soane) and his Archer last surname.

So I'm trying to address these marriages and children

Major Peter Field Archer was born in 1756; died April 25, 1814 in Henrico County, VA.

1. Peter Field Archer married Frances Ann Archer (born Tanner) on October 22, 1782 in Amelia County, VA.

Children:

1. Mary Page Archer
2. Fanny Tanner Archer
3. Eliza Royall Archer
4. Peter Field Archer, II
5. Elizabeth Trent Archer
6. William Branch Archer b: 1780
7. Branch Tanner Archer b: 13 Dec 1790 in Henrico County, Virginia

2. Peter Field Archer married Elizabeth Archer (born Walthall) on 23 January 1787 in Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, Virginia.

Children:

1. Peter Field Archer, II
2. Martha Field Archer
3. William Walthall Archer
4. Harriet Frances Archer
5. Powhatan Bolling Archer
6. Dr. John Alexander Archer
7. Elizabeth Trent Jones (Archer)
8. Louisa Caroline Archer
9. Sarah Randolph Archer

3. Peter Field Archer married Martha Jefferson Archer (born Bolling) on 19 February 1794 in Amelia County, Virginia.

Child:

1. Peter Field Archer

4. Peter Field Archer married Judith Eggleston Archer (born Cocke) in 1800 in Virginia, United States

Children:

1. Richard C Archer
2. John Field Archer
3. Fanny Archer
4. Jane Segar Archer

These children may also need to be sorted to the appropriate parents.

Additionally, there maybe confusion with Edward Archer's children ....he married Mary Jefferson Archer (Bolling).

Peter and Edward could be, brothers, half-brothers or cousins. I'm going to need a spreadsheet to unpack all of this ... and was just creating one.

A large number of their descendants moved to North Carolina, South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi and Texas.

Aaron

Today at 7:35 AM

Tagging names mentioned.
I literally added stuff in Soane yesterday chasing a DNA match for my mother's maternal line:
Henry Soane, 13th Speaker of The Virginia House of Burgesses
Judith Field
Daughter of Henry Soane, 13th Speaker of The Virginia House of Burgesses and Judith Soane (Fuller)
Wife of Capt. Henry Randolph and Maj. Peter Field
Capt. Henry Randolph
Maj. Peter Field

Today at 8:15 AM

My approach here was going to be, build around the more famous or political family members first ... and have them anchor the various branches of the family. Surnames will largely include Archer, Bolling (name variations Bouldin), Archer, Field, Walthall, Trent, Nunnally, Tanner, Eggleston, Batte, Jones, Trent and of course Cox or Coxes.

Example:

BRANCH TANNER, MD (1790–1856). Branch Tanner Archer, legislator and secretary of war of the Republic of Texas, son of Maj. Peter Field and Francis (Tanner) Archer, was born in Fauquier County, Virginia, on December 13, 1790. Peter Archer was a Revolutionary War officer. Branch Archer attended William and Mary College at Williamsburg in 1804, and in 1808 he received his M.D. degree from the medical school at the University of Pennsylvania. After returning to Virginia he practiced medicine, served one or two terms in the Virginia legislature (1819–20), and was a presidential elector in 1820. On May 13, 1828, Archer killed his cousin, Dr. James Ottway Crump, in a duel fought with pistols near Scottsville, Powhatan County, Virginia.

NOTE: There is also a major business failure in the Crump, Archer and Trent family.

Archer arrived in Texas in 1831 and quickly joined a group in Brazoria agitating for independence from Mexico. He represented Brazoria at the Convention of 1833 and participated in the battle of Gonzales in October 1835. In November 1835 he traveled to San Felipe as representative of Brazoria and there was elected chairman of the Consultation. He urged the members to disregard previous factional divisions and concentrate on what was the best course for Texas. Although he favored independence, he voted with the majority, who favored a return to the Constitution of 1824.

The Consultation then selected Archer to join Stephen F. Austin and William H. Wharton as commissioners to the United States to lobby for financial assistance, collect supplies, and recruit men for the Texas cause. The three arrived in New Orleans in January 1836 and negotiated a series of loans that totaled $250,000. Then they proceeded up the Mississippi River, making numerous speeches before turning east for Washington, D.C. During their trip Texas declared its independence, on March 2, 1836. The three commissioners were unable to persuade Congress to support their cause and returned home.

After arriving in Texas Archer worked for the election of Austin as president of the young republic. He also served in the First Congress of Texas and as speaker of the House during its second session. In Congress he and James Collinsworth sponsored a law establishing the Texas Railroad, Navigation, and Banking Company. Subsequently, Archer served as President Mirabeau B. Lamar's secretary of war until 1842.

Branch Tanner Archer's Tombstone

Tombstone of Branch Tanner Archer in Brazoria County. Image courtesy of The Texas Underground. Image available on the Internet and included in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

Archer married Eloisa Clarke on January 20, 1813. They had six children. He was a Mason and helped organize a Masonic lodge in Brazoria. He was grand master of the Grand Lodge of the Republic of Texas in 1838–39. Archer continued to be an active political force until his death. He died on September 22, 1856, at Brazoria and was buried at Eagle Island Plantation on Oyster Creek in Brazoria County. Archer County was named in his honor.

Today at 8:38 AM

This Peter Field Archer (appears to be the first Southern line, and the most likely candidate for for Peter Field Archer II status.

Parents of Peter Field Archer were Peter Field Archer 1766-1829 and Elizabeth Walthall 1766-1819. Peter married Caroline Elizabeth Viser Smith.

As mentioned, there's a lot of intermarriage with the Nunnally family spanning from Memphis, Tennessee to Oxford, Mississippi .... then through Arkansas and Texas and then up to Oregon, Idaho and Washington.

The Nunnally family connection comes through the previous lost Susanna Womack Nunnally (Trent). The daughter of Henry (1650-1701) and Elizabeth (Sherman) Trent (1657-1732).

She and Henry had the following children:

Alexander Trent 1674 - 1703
Henry Trent, Jr. 1676 - 1726
John Trent 1678 - 1732
Mary Cox (born Trent) 1680 - 1736 married Richard Cox ... includes Rev. Strangeman Hutchins
William Trent 1682 - 1769
Rebecca Wathers (born Trent) 1684 - 1735 ... she is lost to the family!
Susannah Womack (born Trent) 1686 - 1730 ... later marries Nunnally, as 2 children marry into the Nunnally family as well
Peter Field Trent 1688 - ?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/17616950/peter-field-archer

Today at 8:39 AM

at least as 2 children marry into the Nunnally family as well

Today at 3:01 PM

Archer Family of Powhatan County, Virginia

Peter Jefferson Archer (1798-4 May 1871) was the son of Edward P. Archer and Mary Jefferson Bolling, daughter of Col. John Bolling and Mary Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson’s older sister. (Daily State Journal 6 May 1871) Peter J. Archer married his first wife—Martha Woodson Michaux (1801-1847)—in 1825, and they had several children. Of these children, three sons attended the University of Virginia. (Bond; Harrison)

John Walthall Archer (11 Mar. 1827-9 Mar. 1852) attended the University of Virginia in session 25 (1848-1849). He died in Richmond of typhoid fever “in the 25th year of his age.”

Edward Cunningham Archer (4 Aug. 1829-5 Dec. 1891) first attended Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in the class of 1853, then attended the University of Virginia in session 29 (1852-1853). He married Caroline Wooldridge (1836-1906) and had the following children: Elizabeth Temple, Emily Fowler, Robert Temple, Edward C. (d. young), Mary Bolling, John Walthall, William Wooldridge, and Jane Stanard Archer. He was a physician by profession. In the Civil War, Dr. Archer served in Capt. Willis J. Dance’s Company of the 1st Virginia Artillery, later called the Powhatan Artillery. He enlisted in August 1862, was captured at Gettysburg in July 1863, and was exchanged and paroled in March 1864. After the war he practiced as a physician in Huguenot Springs, Chesterfield County, VA. He and his wife are buried in Manakin Cemetery in Powhatan County.

Jacob Michaux Archer (22 Dec. 1832-12 Oct. 1901) attended the University in session 28 (1851-1852). In the Civil War he served as a private, then was elected 2nd lieutenant in Company B of the 7th Virginia Cavalry (Ashby’s Cavalry). He was captured at Harrisonburg, VA in June 1862 and exchanged in Aug. 1862. He was wounded in Aug. 1864. There is no mention of him in the Confederate records after Jan. 1865.

Jacob Archer’s personal history is harder to follow. According to information from the U.S. Census, it is possible he married twice, first to Mary (“Mariah”) Louisa Smith (b. ca. 1835) of Mississippi. They had one daughter, Sallie Walthall Archer. Jacob worked as a teacher in Memphis, Alabama in 1860. From the 1870 census to the 1900 census, Jacob appears to have married a woman who is listed as “A. J. Archer” (b. ca. 1842) from Mississippi. In 1880, the census shows the family with a daughter, M. M. Archer, and a son, J. M. Archer, all living in Lowndes County, Mississippi. Jacob Archer and his wife, A. J., were living in Memphis, AL when the 1900 census was taken. I have been unable to locate where he was buried.

References:

Ancestry.com. 1850-1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.
Bond, Beth. “My Vaughan-Bond Ancestry.” [database online] c2012 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=berti...
“Died.” Daily State Journal (Alexandria, VA), 6 May, 1871, p.1. http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84024670/1871-05-06/ed-1/s... “Died … On the 4th inst., at the residence of his son, Wm. S. Archer, in Powhatan county, Colonel P. J. Archer, in the 74th year of his age.”
“Died [John W. Archer].” The daily dispatch. (Richmond [Va.]), 10 March 1852. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84024738/1852-03-10/ed-1/s...;
“Dr. E.C. Archer.” Richmond dispatch. (Richmond, Va.), 08 Dec. 1891. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85038614/1891-12-08/ed-1/s...;
Harrison, Bruce. The Family Forest descendants of Lady Joan Beaufort. 2005, p. 5157.
Tombstones of the Archer family, Manakin Cemetery, Powhatan County, VA, and the Barnett family cemetery in Noxubee, Mississippi. Findagrave.com
“Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865.” Index. FamilySearch. https://familysearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing “Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Virginia.” Fold3.com. http://www.fold3.com : 2012.
“Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912.” Index. FamilySearch. https://familysearch.org : accessed 2013.
Virginia Military Institute. VMI Archives, Online Rosters Database. [database online] http://www1.vmi.edu/archiverosters/Default.asp

https://uvastudents.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/archer-family-of-powha...

Today at 5:35 PM

I would like everyone's feedback here, I think we should hold off on making any edits and/or adding new profiles ... until we the branch is completed.

Martha Field Archer was born 22 February 1681/82 in Henrico County, Virginia, she was the daughter of Major Peter and Judith Soane Field. She married John Archer about 1698, the son of George and Elizabeth Sarah Archer (Wood).

Childen:
1. Judith Archer 1700-1750 married Daniel Worsham, died in Henrico County, Virginia
2. William Archer About 1702 married Ann Royall
3. Frances Archer 1704-1733 married Alexander Trent
4. Mary Archer About 1706
5. John Archer, Jr. 1708-1775 married Sarah Randolph, died in Henrico County, Virginia
6. Elizabeth Mildred Archer, 1709-1790 married Pierre Louis Chastain, died in Buckingham County, Virginia
7. John Peter Field Archer 1711-1785 married Elizabeth Royall, died in Chesterfield County, Virginia
8. Martha Fields Archer 1713 married 1 John Robertson married 2 Samuel Allen Died 1750 Chesterfield County, Virginia.

Son John and Martha Archer (Field) had a son:

Name: John Peter Field Archer
Birth Date: 1711
Birth Place: Goochland, Virginia, USA
Death Date: 22 Oct 1785
Death Place: Second Branch Plantation, Chesterfield, Virginia, USA
Father: John Archer
Mother: Martha Field
Spouse: Elizabeth Royall

Children:
Martha Field Archer (yet another Martha Field Archer)
John Archer (yet another John Archer)
Joseph Archer
Judith Archer
Richard Tanner Archer

First, who are the parents of Major Peter Field Archer?

I have his parents as:
Father: John Archer, 04/02/1734 - 02/28/1784, died in Chesterfield County, VA (son of John Archer and Sarah Randolph)
Wife: Elizabeth Trent (daughter of Alexander Trent and Frances Allen)

Today at 6:57 PM

Aaron Furtado Baldwin it is helpful to tag the profiles already in Geni.
I personally like to work on a family group at a time.
It is reasonable to think there are at least two different men of the same name in the same time frame.
I sometimes will add a profile and work “from scratch “ and then merge if appropriate.
Some prefer to add a line on their Ancestry tree or some other private program and build from there.
I think the collaborative process is so much better than working alone and am happy to help however I can.
Are you referring to Elizabeth Archer

Today at 7:00 PM

Tagging Peter J. Archer married his first wife—Martha Woodson Michaux (1801-1847)—in 1825 Martha Woodson Archer Is

Today at 7:02 PM

Forgive my grammar please. I am on the iPad .

Today at 7:14 PM

Martha Field Archer was born 22 February 1681/82 in Henrico County, Virginia, she was the daughter of Major Peter and Judith Soane Field. She married John Archer about 1698, the son of George and Elizabeth Sarah Archer (Wood).
Martha Archer
Martha Archer Field

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion