Sir James Stewart 5th High Steward of Scotland 1243-1309
Sir John "of Bonkyl" Stewart 1245-1298
Elizabeth Stewart 1246-1288

cf Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland

6/19/2022 at 12:16 AM

This configuration would look like this:

Jean
?d/o James Lord of Bute and Arran
x ?Alexander Stewart, High Steward of Scotland (s/o WALTER FitzAlan & Beatrice) (-1283)

• ?[JAMES (-young)
  • ?JAMES ([1243]-16 Jul 1309)
  • [?ELIZABETH] (-<1288)
  • ?[ANDREW (->1350)
  • ?JOHN [of Jedworth] (-1298

and has some validity here: http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTLAND.htm#Alexander4Stewartdied1... Balfour Paul names Jean as daughter of James Lord of Bute and Arran, and records her marriage to Alexander Stewart, but does not cite the corresponding primary source[1033]. Andrew McEwen suggests that there is no evidence to indicate that the wife of Alexander Stewart was the daughter of James Lord of Bute[1034]. Heiress of the isles of Bute and Arran. m ALEXANDER Stewart High Steward of Scotland, son of WALTER FitzAlan High Steward of Scotland & his wife Beatrice of Angus (-1283).] http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTTISH%20NOBILITY.htm#_ftnref1019

6/19/2022 at 12:17 AM

also here: Balfour Paul names Jean of Bute heiress of the Isles of Bute and Arran, daughter of James Lord of Bute and Arran & his wife ---, and records her marriage to Alexander Stewart (no primary source cited)[1216]. Andrew McEwen suggests that there is no evidence to indicate that the wife of Alexander Stewart was the daughter of James Lord of Bute[1217]. He adds that what evidence there is "suggests a double marriage alliance…about 1240 between Sir Walter fitz Alan II and Richard Comyn by which the Steward’s son and heir Alexander married Comyn’s daughter Joanna, while Comyn’s son and heir John married Sir Walter’s daughter Eva", but he does not cite the nature of the evidence in question[1218]. http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTLAND.htm#Alexander4Stewartdied1...

Alexander Stewart & his wife had [six] children:

6/19/2022 at 12:22 AM

Erica Howton this CN on the NN wife seems to offer a valid reason: The identity of Alexander's wife is unknown. Traditionally she was Jean of Bute, the heir of Bute and Arran, but Lord Lyon David Sellars has shown her parents are likely a later myth to justify the Stewart takeover.

I suggest that we 

1)either merge Jean of Bute with the NN wife profile wife of Alexander Stewart and disconnect her from James Macrory, Lord of Bute as his daughter

2)- unless we find evidence to suggest that he did have a daughter Jean: in which case we revert to your previous solution and cut Jean off from Alexander and his children.

Your thoughts?

6/19/2022 at 12:56 AM

Jean Macrory - whoa, she’s changed. :). I’ve been keeping her off Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland since 2018, why is she back as his wife? I had never merged / disconnected from parents because I have no knowledge if there was or was not such a daughter in history.

My original comment was to the effect that “some think erroneously she was married to Alexander.”

I’d rather see her maintained because Jean McRory is “out there” - as you were queried? It’s a lot easier to show 2 profiles - one a daughter, one a wife.

You’re welcome to re curate wife of Alexander Stewart and add the extensive notes.

6/19/2022 at 1:00 AM

Oh yeah, we want to keep Jean. She’s still in Wikipedia as wife:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Stewart,_4th_High_Steward_o...

6/19/2022 at 1:09 AM

See the talk page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Alexander_Stewart,_4th_High_Stew...

Given what Sellar says, I wonder why the text (about Jean) remains unchanged - Sellar's reservation is not even acknowledged!!?? As it stands the claim on the page is ridiculous: to suggest that Jean Macrory born before 1210 should not have had a child until 1260. This is the sort of thing which brings Wikipedia into disrepute. First of all surnames had not taken over, so surely her father was Rory (or variant) - so if a stopgap is required (and I think not) surely this should be the assumption. [OK, there is a further problem here as "she" would not have been "mac" - so it is more likely that Rory was her Grandfather and strictly she should probably have been "Vc Rory". However it remains the case that this Rory would not have been old enough to have been killed in battle in 1210.]

Second I estimate James' birth c1251 rather than 1260 (1260 makes matters worse). It is, therefore, likely that she was born c1230x5 - 20 years after the supposed death of her supposed father. Third Given that she was the heiress it is likely that her father was born c1200x10, before the deaths of 1210, but too young to take part in any fighting at that time. Fourth so far as I can see the name James was unknown in Scotland at that time.

6/19/2022 at 1:11 AM

I'm going to go with your decision here. The area seems fraught and needs one Curator's hand. I wouldn't have jumped in had I realised you were Curating Alexander. Sorry :-/

6/19/2022 at 1:14 AM

So - we'll revert to your previous cut. Sorry, again, for undoing - I presumed it was an accident without being able to see Alexander. Silly.

6/19/2022 at 1:18 AM

I've locked her relationships as well. Please recurate.

6/19/2022 at 2:37 AM

Her kids have unfortunately multiplied, so it’s good to visit and tighten up.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion