Louis van Bengale. SV/PROG - Daughters of Louis van Bengale and Lijsbeth Sanders

Started by Delia Robertson on Saturday, April 2, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts

Does anyone know why the three daughters of Louis and Lijsbeth, ie Lijsbeth, Maria and Anna, are described as his stepdaughters, rather than his daughters? He acknowledged them as his own daughters in his will with Rebecca van Macassar.

Regarding Lijsbeth Louisz Coetzee, SM , Anna Louisz , Maria Louisz, SM - Im not following you. They show as his biological daughters.

Oh that is so bizarre, I was looking at his profile and it showed them as stepdaughters in the overview, now the profile looks completely different and as I recall it from earlier visits. I wonder if there was some geni or internet glitch that scrambled his profile when I previously selected it?

But see also:

On 6 October 1680 the first child born to Lijsbeth and Louis was baptised in the church in Cape Town.102 (Louis himself had been baptised in 1675, when he was 'about twenty-three years old'.)103 She became known as Elisabeth Louisz or Lowice. Louis and Lijsbeth had at least one further child, Maria, christened in 1686. Lijsbeth cannot have been Louis' only partner, however, for in 1685 a third daughter, Anna Louisz, was christened in Cape Town and her mother's name was given as Maria van de Kaap.104 (103 Hattingh, Eerste vryswartes, 22. 104 Ibid., 10, 12 and 19. According to Hattingh, a woman named Maria van de Kaap was a godparent at the Christening of Maria Louisz in 1686.) Sodomy, Race and Respectability in Stellenbosch and Drakenstein, 1689 —1762: The Story of a Family, Loosely Defined SUSAN NEWTON-KING

https://www.academia.edu/31217292/Sodomy_race_and_respectability

Yes, I am aware of that. Louis and Lijsbeth had a volatile relationship. It is far more likely there was a scribal error in Anna's baptism naming the mother as Maria - the witness is Maria Everts aka vd Caep and was assumed by Hattingh etc to be the mother. However, there is never any subsequent evidence that supports that relationship. Anna was most likely named for Lijsbeth's foster mother, Anna van Guinea

It is strange. Glitches do happen.
Nevertheless, what do you think of above, suggesting that Anna's mother isn't Lijsbeth Sandersz van de Kaap, SM

Oh hang on I see this now:

E-mails from Mansell Upham (e-mail address) to Delia Robertson, 1 Aug 2010 (Personal Library, Email Upham) "Subsequently, thanks to a vital piece of evidence brought to my attention by Susie Newton-King when she was researching the sodomy case involving Lijsbeth Sander's Coetzee offshoot, we now have actual proof that Pieter Willemsz Africano alias Pieter Willemsz Tamboer was brother to Lijsbeth Sanders. Tamboer had died at the house of Anna's husband (Potje) - at a time long after Lijsbeth Sanders and Louis van Bengale had gone their separate ways - and Lijsbeth Sanders sued for monies owing following the funeral of her brother. Clearly, Anna was related. If Maria had really been her mother - she certainly never seems to make any verifiable re-appearance in the record. Also, Lijsbeth Sanders probably named Anna after her mother and Anna's baptism has a Maria van de Caep as BOTH mother and witness. This I strongly maintain to be a clerical error and that Maria Everts is mentioned twice as mother and witness [Note: Maria Everts baptized her own daughter Anna in 1687 and we have her deceased estate papers]. Anna seems to be the second manumitted child of Lijsbeth Sanders in 1683 who only got to be baptized in 1685 and bear in mind that Louis van Bengale and Lijsbeth Sanders only contemplated legalizing their relationship in 1687 a relationship that went sour in 1689 when Lijsbeth Sanders ran off with Teerling - the closeness of Anna's baptism to that of Lijsbeth's Maria in 1686 might have to do with the fact that Lijsbeth Sanders was left to her own devices as a free woman (even if still required to work for her former owner for 1 more year) and also the fact that her sister Maria Everts also has a checkered history of baptizing bastard children in fits and starts [and one by the surgeon and Van der Stel cohort Willem ten Damme which never gets enough attention or appreciation in terms of the extent of the 'stranglehold' (I use this word for want of a better alternative as their contextualization requires greater scrutiny and something I am trying to do in my biographies on these people) Anna and Evert van Guinea had on the community) by researchers] in a quest for respectability of societal inclusion as free inhabitants even if Anna and Evert van Guinea never felt the need to convert to Christianity or to legalize their 'marriage' [did they resist pressure to do so or opt for non-inclusion of the civic order or did the authorities discourage/ignore them???]. At one point the authorities make mention of the disreputable households of both Anna and Maria Everts ...Anna Louisz appears to have pre-deceased her mother and to have been childless which would explain her non-appearance in her mother's deceased estate papers."http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g6/p6132.htm

It seems, too, highly unlikely that he'd be called on to pay for a child that was acknowledged not to be his

' Louis got custody of the two children 'bij dito Lijsbeth in onecht geprockeert (procreated out of wedlock with the said Lijsbeth)', but the youngest child (Maria Louisz) was permitted to remain one more year with her mother, provided that Louis paid maintenance Sodomy, Race and Respectability in Stellenbosch and Drakenstein, 1689 —1762: The Story of a Family, Loosely Defined Author(s): SUSAN NEWTON-KING Source: Kronos, No. 33 (November 2007), pp. 6-44 Published by: University of Western Cape Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/41056580 . Accessed: 29/09/2014 07:02

Sharon - great to see The Storty of a Family , Susan Newton - King used as good source

Lots more like that I should add from JSTOR

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion