• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • J P Weyers
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts

Jonathan Jean Durand has two sets of parents. One set of parents are nn durand and nn Durand. Both created by Barbara Nicole Cailliau.

I see no primary sources for any parent, unless it's in this doc: https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000056368828015. Does anyone read French?

Thank you So not even Jonathan? I'm guessing we need more to create the link to him.

Sorry - I meant SON, Jean

We have Jonathan (and Anne Chion ?) parenting
Olympe Durand;
Judith Durand/RIGAUD;
Jean Durand, SV/PROG;
Antoine Durand
and Lucresse Durand

Barbara Nicole Cailliau we badly need your input here. Are you using primary sources for all these children?

So far - we still have no valid link to our SVPROG, Jean.

Have created a curator call for any willing French speaking Curator to translate for us...

Curator Private User very kindly transcribed the doc here:

Anne Chion, veuve de feu maître Jonatan Duran chirurgien de la Motte Chalancon, âgée d'environ septante quatre ans dans la maison de maitre Antoine Duran son fils habitant en ce lieu de Montmarin et en la communion de notre saint mère Eglise catholique Apostoliue et Romaine. S’étant confessée à nous curé sous-signé—---------------------------------------------- pour indisposition corporelle, ayant été —
de l’onction de l’huile sainte, a rendu son âme à Dieu le second Mars mille sept cent quatre à trois heures du soir. Son corps a été inhumé au cimetière de ce dit lieu en présence de Messire Jacques Villy prieur de ce dit lieu, Sr Pierre Allimon et Jean Tunour sous-signés
Cheynier curé de Montmarin

and Google Translate gives us this:
Anne Chion, widow of the late master Jonatan Duran, surgeon of La Motte Chalancon, aged about seventy-four years in the house of master Antoine Duran, her son living in this place of Montmarin and in the communion of our holy mother Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church . Having confessed to us, undersigned priest—-------------------------- for bodily indisposition, having been —with the anointing of holy oil, gave up his [HER?] soul to God on the second of March seventeen hundred and four at three o'clock in the evening. His [HER?] body was buried in the cemetery of this said place in the presence of Sir Jacques Villy prior of this said place, Sr Pierre Allimon and Jean Tunour undersigned
Cheynier priest of Montmarin

I wouldn't have done better than our friend Google.
I had the document read by my sister and her husband but they weren't luckier in reading the parts I couldn't decipher.
I am quite willing to do it anytime if needed.

Thank you for help JF Antoine

Phillipp, isn't she forced to become Catholic?

And her son was a surgeon?

Sharon, there is nothing in her death certificate that suggests she might have bien forced to become a catholic.That could have happened, but a hundred years before. A quarter of my ancesters from that time were protestants and they were burried in their one religion.
And chirurgien (surgeon in English) did not have the same meaning, in France in the old days, as now. To be a doctor a student had to study medicine until doctorate, like now. Those who leant to care people through aprenticeship were second class carers being chirurgiens or barbers.

I'm using the info posted by the person who uploaded the doc in 2017:Barbara Nicole Cailliau

Catholic document drawn by priest CHEYNIER in Montmorin . She is the wife of Jonathan DURAND and dies at her remaining son's place. Anthoine is JEAN DURAND's Brother and also surgeon.
Ann in fact is protestant but was forced by the dragoons (soldiers of LOUIS XIV ) to abjure and convert to catholicism.
this doc. was sent to me by French genealogist Brigitte Cappetti

Private User the Huguenot refugees who arrive in SA - (and the debate is whether one of them - Jean Durand, SV/PROG - is her son) flee here between 1670 and 1726. (About 15 of them are my ancestors). They definitely flee under the threat of having to abjure their faith or loses their houses and their lives- so it's quite likely, if Jean Durand, SV/PROG, who arrives here in 1690 is her son, that he does so to avoid this, and his mother doesn't have the option because she isn't of an age to emeigrate easily.

"When King Louis XIV ascended the French throne in 1643, persecution of the Huguenots began again, escalating to the point that he directed troops to seize Huguenot homes and force them to convert to Catholicism.
In 1685 Louis XIV enacted the Edict of Fontainebleau, which replaced the Edict of St. Germain and made Protestantism illegal. More bloodshed ensued, and over the next several years, more than 200,000 Huguenots fled France for other countries."

Useful info about barbers and surgeons.

Pretty much then :-/

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion