King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson - Questionable Lineage ?

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Sunday, February 27, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 30 posts
2/27/2022 at 3:53 PM

WIkipedia states this on his son SIgurd Syr's page:

The traditional view of Sigurd Halvdansson Syr's pedigree, as presented in various Icelandic poems and historical sagas culminating in Snorri Sturluson's Heimskringla, is that he was a great-grandson of King Harald Fairhair, through Harald's son Sigurd Rise. Doubt has been cast on his connection with Sigurd Rise, a relatively obscure son of Harald Fairhair by a Sami girl named Snæfrithr Svásadottir.[1] Sigurd Syr's father Halfdan may not have been King Harald's grandson Halfdan of Hadafylke.[2] There are no contemporary attestations of such a Halfdan.[3] It is not very likely that this lineage represent historical realities. Many modern historians regard the Fairhair genealogy as in large part invented.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd_Syr

and The Peerage link listed as a source...has no source for the connection:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p4276.htm#i42756

Last Edited=18 Dec 2003
Sigurd Hrise, King of Hadaflyke is the son of Harald I, King of Norway and Snefried (?)
He gained the title of King Sigurd of Hadaflyke.
Child of Sigurd Hrise, King of Hadaflyke
Halfdan Sigurdsson, King of Hadaflyke+

So, IS Sigurd Rise the father of King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson? Are there any sources that document the connection with valid sources?

Thanks for any clarificaiton. I'd love to believe I descend from a Sami woman, but I don't want to connect it in my personal tree if it's not accurate.

2/27/2022 at 9:10 PM

What are you after?

2/27/2022 at 9:14 PM

Sources that confirm that Sigurd syr was not a descendant of Harald fairhair not just speculation would be great.

2/27/2022 at 9:15 PM

What is so bad about Harald having a child with a Saami?

J P Weyers
2/27/2022 at 10:31 PM

My 26th grt grandfather.

2/28/2022 at 12:10 AM

King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson is my 27th great grandfather.

2/28/2022 at 7:26 AM

I don't see where it was stated that it would be bad regarding a Saami.

If the question was to me about what am I after...just as I stated: "So, IS Sigurd Rise the father of King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson? Are there any sources that document the connection with valid sources?"

2/28/2022 at 3:34 PM

Debbie Gambrell no there are no sources documenting a connection between Halvdan Sigurdsson and Sigurd Rise. The sources stating this relationship is written 200-300 years after these individuals lived and as such are considered unreliable by todays viking historians. There are plenty of articles in historical journals from around 1990 up till today about this, specially in the Nordic countries, but also in journals written in English.

See my answer in this discussion https://www.geni.com/discussions/241575?msg=1546606

There arer no chance to verify a relationship between one of the Norwegian kings and a living perosn of today by using only persons that lived in the Nordic countries, before King Sverre [Sigurddson], since he wasn't a son of Sigurd Munn. If we are going into the German nobles, we can get back to Harald Grenske, the father of St. Olav, since one of St. Olavs daughter, Ulvhild, married a German noble, Ordulf Billung, Herzog in Sachsen.

So it is not possible to verify a relationship back to Harald Hårfagre due to the uncertainty of the facts in the sagas.

Private User
3/1/2022 at 12:53 AM

Remi, - as I said before: We should repair these lines to reflect the sources we have: the sagas.

Private User
3/1/2022 at 1:05 AM

I agree with Bjorn.

3/1/2022 at 2:23 AM

Agree with Bjørn

J P Weyers
3/1/2022 at 2:37 AM

Agree with Bjørn

3/1/2022 at 11:50 AM

Bjørn, according to most historians today that have studied the sagas and other literature about this timeperiod, the sagas are not seen as trustworthy sources but as myths, and as such should not be trusted with what they say nor what timeoperiod they say things happened in. Almost all of us curators are in agreement that the links should be severed where historical proven persons are linked to mythological persons, even you have said so. We do it in the biblical tree and a lot of other places, this is also what we are doing in the Norse sagas. No difference. Maybe, Bjørn, you should read up on all the articles about this from 1990 till today. A lot of them are published at the Norwegian National Library's internetsite www.nb.no.

Private User
3/1/2022 at 3:16 PM

Still: They are the only sources we have and this group of profiles should reflect the sources we have as the biblical lines is maintained. I agree that the lines up to them can be questioned so I suggest you put your focus on them.

3/1/2022 at 5:15 PM

No, they are not the only sources. There are sources both from todays Germany, France and England, and there are archeological evidence too. So saying that Snorre's Heimskringla or the earlier Norwegian/Icelandic writings are the only ones is blatantly wrong. It just shows that your information is not up to date, Bjørn.

3/1/2022 at 5:46 PM

What we are driving toward is an isolation of unprovable descents from antiquity - in the Bible, in the Sagas, and so on. Within that isolation we have more or less reliable genealogies, and that integrity should be supported by modern scholarship.

The first thing to understand - a guiding principle of responsible genealogy, perhaps - Is this:

There is no proven genealogy from “the ancient world” to the current day.

So if geni shows a direct path, we need geni tree corrections.

3/1/2022 at 5:47 PM

See https://www.geni.com/projects/Descents-from-Antiquity/12283

The reality

There are no proven descents from the ancient world. This cannot be emphasized enough.

"The oldest surviving royal genealogies in Europe go back to the sixth century A.D. for Gothic sovereigns, to the seventh century for their Irish, Lombardic, Visigothic, and Frankish counterparts, and to the eighth and ninth centuries for Anglo-Saxon and Carolingian kings." (François Weil (Chancellor of the Universities of Paris), Family Trees (Harvard Univ. Press, 2013), pp. 10-11)

3/1/2022 at 5:56 PM

So why does Geni say: King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson is your 34th great grandfather.?

https://www.geni.com/path/Erica-Howton+is+related+to+King-Halvdan-The-Gray-Sigurdsson?from=363677820350011581&path_type=blood&to=6000000001205129184

Sorry, but this needs to get fixed.

3/1/2022 at 7:00 PM

Disconnected wife Reilly from unsourced father Mogens Pedersen Munk, til Boller

However, those with Danish lines may wish to understand how he supposedly descends from King Halvdan.

J P Weyers
3/2/2022 at 5:30 AM

Vana, Queen of Uppsala is your 54th great grandmother.

J P Weyers
3/2/2022 at 5:32 AM

Fjolnir, King of Uppsala is your 55th great grandfather.

J P Weyers
3/2/2022 at 5:35 AM

--- There is no proven genealogy from “the ancient world” to the current day.

So if geni shows a direct path, we need geni tree corrections. ----

However I see so many here on GENI desendenants of Biblical Abraham and Adam so why not flojnir for me ?

my YDNA link me to 10 th century Norway more than most can say .

If Fjolnir goes then Abrahamic descendancies should also be removed from GENI

J P Weyers
3/2/2022 at 5:38 AM

Bældæg, king in Westphalia is your 61st great grandfather.

Killed by LOKI !!

3/2/2022 at 10:42 AM

I have been working hard for many years to remove direct ancestry from biblical people - have you? Currently I only show Bible descent through Arab genealogies, which is difficult for me to vet, one way or another. Can you help?

3/2/2022 at 10:45 AM

Testing for Fake Medieval and Ancient Lines

https://www.geni.com/projects/Testing-for-Fake-Medieval-and-Ancient-Lines/48078

1. Click on the profile. Geni will display the profile in Profile View. At the top you will see a relationship path from you to that profile. You might need to click the button labeled "How Are You Related?" to calculate the relationship. If the profile is not connected to the World Family Tree you will see “No Path Found.”
  2. Compare your results to the ideal results, below.
  3. If you find a path that shouldn’t exist, you have an opportunity to do further research to locate the problem but you are not required to that.
  4. If you choose to look further, begin with yourself and follow your line up through the path you found. You should look for any evidence of a connection that is wrong. You may reach a point where you don’t have the experience to continue looking.
  5. If you find a problem you feel qualified to solve, we invite you to do it. You should cite primary sources and quality secondary sources for each change you make. Internet web pages are not acceptable evidence.
  6. If you find a problem you don’t know how to solve, you are welcome to start a project discussion (link). Other users might be able to help. Please remember, though, some of these problems have been around for many years. The Geni community might not be able resolve every problem quickly.
Private User
3/2/2022 at 2:44 PM

"However I see so many here on GENI desendenants of Biblical Abraham and Adam so why not flojnir for me ?"

The solution is to cut all those unproven descents from Abraham and Adam, not add more unproven descents in the Nordic tree.

Every once in a while, I wind up reconnected as a descendant of King David, so I simply follow the line up from me to him until I find a point with absolutely no evidence. That's where the cut is made. When you find similar paths from your own profile into the Biblical tree, you can either identify the error(s) yourself or ask for help. We have a lot of users who are really good at finding where reality meets mythology in the tree, and they'll be happy to assist.

Maybe it's time to add some Nordic examples to the project Erica linked? I'm surprised we don't have any so far, but I also don't personally know which profiles we'd include.

3/2/2022 at 5:15 PM

Yes, we need our Scandinavian members to identify frequent false genealogies.

J P Weyers
3/2/2022 at 9:01 PM

Thx Ashley

J P Weyers
3/2/2022 at 9:02 PM

Maybe a specific discussion where one could add these profiles and connections

Showing all 30 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion