Started by Private User on Tuesday, February 8, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

• Original blazon design by JSpeuller at Wappenwiki.org, licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0), resizing and tincture variations by dbigelow
Showing all 2 posts
Private User
2/8/2022 at 2:24 PM

NORTHERN FRANCE: Laon, Coucy, Roucy, Soissons

Chapter 1. LAON
Laon is located north-west of Reims in the present-day French département of Aisne. It was recorded briefly as a county in the late 9th and early 10th centuries. In 931, the town and county were captured by Héribert [II] Comte de Vermandois, and for several decades became the focus of disputes between the kings of France, the counts of Vermandois, and the bishops of Laon.

A. COMTES de LAON

1. ADELRAMN [II] [Aleran], son of [ADELRAMN [I] & his wife ---] (-14 Jul, after 885). The primary source which names Adelramn [II] as the son of Adelramn [I] has not so far been identified. Comte de Laon. 11 Oct 864. 879. The necrology of the abbey of Saint-Denis records the death "II Id Jul" of "Alerannus comes"[1]. The necrology of Argenteuil Priory records the death "II Id Jul" of "Alerannus comes"[2].

a) GAUTHIER. The primary source which confirms his parentage has not yet been identified. Comte de Laon. same person as…? WALCHER, son of --- (-after 892). Comte de Laon. The Annales Vedastini record that "Balduinus" captured Artois, that King Eudes besieged the castle of Laon ("castrum Laudunensium") previously obtained "per tyrannidem" by "Walcherus, eius [Balduinus] consobrinus", and that peace was restored between Baudouin and Walcher through "Evrebertum"[3].

b) other children - see CAROLINGIAN NOBILITY.

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/nfralaoncou.htm

Private User
2/8/2022 at 3:58 PM

I don’t see a question to discuss but I’m ok with adding this to the overview tab. It neither supports nor conflicts with the primary consideration, that of parentage, but it’s another piece of the puzzle. Typical of Cawley “the primary source which identifies “this” has not so far been identified“ but I don’t disagree with him being used as a point of departure, what he does show can be presumed to be valid.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion