Sir Robert de Keith, Marischal of Scotland - Did he have daughters?

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts

https://archive.org/details/irvinesofdrumcol00lesl/page/27/mode/1up...

2 Nisbet's "Heraldry," II., p. 5, states that Sir Robert Keith. Marischal of Scotland^ who was killed at the battle of Durham in 1346, had two daughters, one married to John Maitland, prede- cessor to the Earl of Lauderdale, and the other to Irvine, laird of Drum. Sir Robert Keith had no issue (so Nisbet is in error), but he had a sister married to Sir Robert Maitland, and a nephew, John Maitland (Robertson's " Index," 58, 4). It is not improbable that this Irvine of Drum may have been first married to a sister of Sir Robert Keith; and as the possession of the Keith estates, as well as the office of Marischal, passed, on his death, to their grand-uncle, Sir Edward Keith, it may serve to explain the cause of the inveterate feud between the Keiths Marischal and the Irvines of Drum, which continued until the marriage of Elizabeth Keith to Sir Alexander Irvine in 1411, and the gift of a large estate as her dower.

Let's see if this helps.

According to "Irvines and Their Kin" William de Irwyn 1st Laird of Drum was married to the daughter of the Earl Marischal.

"William De Irwyn, or Sir William Irvine, as he is styled in "Nisbet's Heraldry," married Mariota, the daughter of Sir Robert Keith, Earl Marischal of Scotland, who led the horse at Bannockburn, and was killed at the battle of Dublin {sic} in 1332".

"The Irvines of Drum and Collateral Branches", in general, agrees with this.

https://www.geni.com/photo/view?album_type=photos_of_me&id=6000...

it says "daughter OR grand-daughter" but ages of parties involved suggest "daughter" is the more reasonable.

So: Yes he had daughters.

However, someone has changed the date and location of his death. He died : 11 Aug 1332 Battle of Dupplin Moor, Perth, Scotland

William de Irwyn did, in fact, (per "A Short Account of the Family of Irvine of Drum") have a son, William, who WAS married to a daughter of Robert Keith, married to Margaret Hay, who died 17 Oct 1346 Battle of Neville's Cross, Durham, England. This Robert was the grandson of the above Robert .

It might look like this:
........... 9 Sir Robert de Keith
B: Abt 1262 Buchan, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
D: 11 Aug 1332 Battle of Dupplin Moor, Perth, Scotland
........... +Barbara Douglas
B: Abt 1280 Douglas Castle, Douglas, Lanarckshire, Scotland
D: 1350 Castle Cary, Somerset, England
............. 10 Marotte or Mariota de Keith
B: Abt 1300
D: 1335 Drum Castle, Drumoak, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
.............. +William Alexander de Irwyn 1st Laird of Drum
B: Abt 1260 Dumfriesshire, Scotland
D: Abt 1333 Drum Castle, Drumoak, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
............. 10 Sir John Keith
B: Abt 1294 Scotland
D: 1324 Scotland
.............. +?
B:
D:
................ 11 Sir Robert de Keith
B: Abt 1316 Scotland
D: 17 Oct 1346 Battle of Neville's Cross, Durham, England
............... +Margaret Hay
B: Abt 1316 Scotland
D:
................... 12 daughter
.................... +William de Irwyn
B: 1317 Drum Castle, Drumoak, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
D: 1390 Drum Castle, Drumoak, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

The Elizabeth Keith mentioned was the daughter of a totally different Robert Keith (Grand nephew to the adove ........... 9 Sir Robert de Keith)

Where does the “Marote Bernard” name come from?

One daughter or two? Did Mariota also marry Maitland?

Since my mom's an Irwin, they were the first family that I looked into. I encountered "Marotte Bernard" very early on. There has been a lot of stuff said about her. Wikipedia describes her, on William de Irwyn's entry, as the daughter of Robert Douglas, Earl of Buchan. He, as it so happens lived during the last half of the 1500s. HIS daughter Marion was married to Alexander Irvine, 9th Laird of Drum.

My Heritage lists several Marotte Barnards. One saying that she is the daughter of Bernard de Huntingdon. Born 1360. She would have been 58 when she married William. An unreasonable age for then having possibly three children.

One source, don't remember which, says that she was the granddaughter of Robert the Bruce. If they were referring to King Robert I, who has been historically linked to William de Irwyn, then I would say: no she wasn't. Most genealogical sources say that Marotte was born around 1300, but as early as 1290. If she were born in 1300, Robert was 26. Hardly "grandfather" age. Of course they COULD have been referring to an earlier "Robert de Brus". I don't think so. "Robert the Bruce" has ONLY been used in reference to King Robert.

Both of my sources clearly list her father as the Robert Keith who died in 1332. The fact that each entry provides some different minor details (such as Robert’s title, and one says Dupplin and the other Dublin) suggests that one entry is not just a quote of the other. I tend to like that kind of information when looking at genealogical websites and databases. Even this one. If two entries in two databases such as “wikitree” or Ancestry have exactly the same info then one is clearly a copy of the other. But if each has different information (i.e. one site lists a date of birth as “abt 1300” and the other says Jan 8, 1302) then I can deduce that each are drawing from different sources.

Marotte was NOT married to Maitland. Couldn’t have been. His name is linked to the Robert Keith who died in 1346 at Neville’s Cross, Durham. He is the second Robert on the tree I put in my previous note.

As far as her name is concerned, you will notice that I did not use the "Bernard" in my entry on her. It seems to have the same credibility as "John Crawford of Kilbernie." The sources that I cited refer to her as JUST Mariota/Marotte. The differences in spelling are probably due to non-standardizing of spelling. Or simply due to the fact that people had a name to fit whatever language they were using at the time. William de Irwyn might have used the Gaidhlig name Uilleam in informal settings. Gaidhlig being his mother tongue. And the “de Irwyn” was, obviously, a post-Norman affectation.

Very helpful, thank you so much. I’m “sold.”

I set up a sister with an unknown name as wife of Maitland. I find that the more we build families out, the more solid it becomes.

Tagging the Marischal’s family:

Wife: Barbara Douglas (origins unknown)

named in The Scots Peerage (TSP); People of Medieval Scotland (POMS); Dictionary of National Biography (DNB)

Daughter: Mariota “Marotte” de Keith married William de Irwyn, 1st Laird of Drum

“Sir William de Irwyn married a granddaughter of Robert the Bruce, [??] who was the daughter of Robert Douglas, Earl of Buchan [NO - anachronism]. From this union was derived the two great families of Bonshaw and Drum. For seventeen generations, starting with the second Laird of Drum, there was a successive line of Irvines all bearing the name Alexander.”

unknown de Keith married Sir Robert Maitland of Thirlestane and Levington

The Irvines of Drum and collateral branches; page 27, note 2; page 25, note 5 < Archive.Org >

2 Nisbet's "Heraldry," II., p. 5, states that Sir Robert Keith. Marischal of Scotland, who was killed at the battle of Durham in 1346, had two daughters, one married to John Maitland, prede- cessor to the Earl of Lauderdale, and the other to Irvine, laird of Drum. Sir Robert Keith had no issue (so Nisbet is in error), but he had a sister married to Sir Robert Maitland, and a nephew, John Maitland (Robertson's " Index," 58, 4). It is not improbable that this Irvine of Drum may have been first married to a sister of Sir Robert Keith; and as the possession of the Keith estates, as well as the office of Marischal, passed, on his death, to their grand-uncle, Sir Edward Keith, it may serve to explain the cause of the inveterate feud between the Keiths Marischal and the Irvines of Drum, which continued until the marriage of Elizabeth Keith to Sir Alexander Irvine in 1411, and the gift of a large estate as her dower.
5 The eldest son of this Sir Robert Keith, Sir John Keith, died in his father's lifetime, leaving a family of one son (Sir Robert, who succeeded as Marischal, and was killed at the battle of Durham in 1346) and two daughters. Sir Robert left no issue, and the office of Marischal and the entailed lands passed to his grand-uncle, Sir Edward Keith. It was probably a claim for property by the sisters of the deceased Sir Robert Keith (one of whom was married to Sir Robert Maitland of Thirlestane, and the other to the laird of Drum) that led to the "cruel feud" which raged in the latter part of the fourteenth century between the Keiths Marischal and the Irvines of Drum. This feud was finally settled in 1411 by the marriage of Elizabeth de Keth, daughter of the Marischal, to Alexander de Irvin of Drum, and by a grant of the estates of Strachan as a dower with the bride. The feud is alluded to in the marriage contract. It is not possible to say whether the sister of Sir Robert Keith, Marischal, was the wife of William de Irvin or the fibst wife of his son and successor, Thomas de Irvin.”

The Marischal’s sons were William de Keith & Sir John Keith of Humbie & Innerpeffer who married N.N. de Soules

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTTISH%20NOBILITY%20UNTITLED.htm...

The name of William’s wife is not known. William & his wife had four children:
a) ROBERT de Keith (-killed in battle Durham 17 Oct 1346). "Robert de Keth miles marescallus Scocie" reached agreement with the monastery of Kelso about "Hundebyketh" by charter dated to [1300][899]. "…Gilberto de Haya constabulario nostro Scotie, Roberto de Keth marescallo nostro Scotie militbus" witnessed the charter dated 7 Apr 1313 under which "Robertus…rex Scottorum" granted "totum thanagio de Scona" to Scone abbey[900]. "…Alexandro Fraser et Roberto de Keith mareschallo Scotiæ, militibus" witnessed the charter dated 12 Apr 1316 under which Robert I King of Scotland granted annual revenue from the farms of Perth to Perth Blackfriars[901]. Robert I King of Scotland granted revenue from land held by "Jacobus de Douglas de Laudonia miles" to "Reginaldo de Crauford" by undated charter witnessed by "…Jacobo dño de Douglas, Robto de Keth marescallo militibus"[902]. John of Fordun’s Scotichronicon (Continuator) records that "Simonem Fraser et Robertum de Keth" captured Perth from the forces of King Edward Balliol "Non Oct" in 1332[903]. "Robertus de Keth Marescallus Scocie" donated "tenementum de Jonystoun Inferiori" to Soltre Hospital by undated charter, witnessed by "domino Ricardo de Keth milite fratre nostro, domino Philippo rectore ecclesie de Byger fratre nostro, domino Adam de Keth avunculo nostro rectore ecclesie de Marescal Keth, Johanne filio nostro et herede…"[904]. m ---.

The name of Robert’s wife is not known. Robert & his wife had two children:

i) JOHN de Keith (-1324). "Robertus de Keth Marescallus Scocie" donated "tenementum de Jonystoun Inferiori" to Soltre Hospital by undated charter, witnessed by "domino Ricardo de Keth milite fratre nostro, domino Philippo rectore ecclesie de Byger fratre nostro, domino Adam de Keth avunculo nostro rectore ecclesie de Marescal Keth, Johanne filio nostro et herede…"[905]. m --- de Soulis, daughter of NICHOLAS [II] de Soulis & his wife Margaret Comyn. Accounts of the viscount of Roxburgh dated 1335/36 record that "Johannis de Kethe" married "Willelmi de Soules…sororem"[906].

John & his wife had three children:
(a) ROBERT de Keith (-after [1336]).
(b) EDWARD de Keith (-killed in battle Durham 17 Oct 1346).
(c) EDMUND de Keith (-killed in battle Durham 17 Oct 1346).

ii) WILLIAM de Keith (-after Aug 1335).

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTTISH%20NOBILITY%20UNTITLED.htm...

Nicholas [II] & his wife had four children:

d) daughter . Accounts of the viscount of Roxburgh dated 1335/36 record that "Johannis de Kethe" married "Willelmi de Soules…sororem"[1182]. m JOHN de Keith, son of ROBERT de Keith & his wife --- (-1324).

Not quite there yet.

Sir Robert de Keith, Marischal of Scotland

THIS Robert de Keith (wikipedia refers to him as Robert II so I'll use that to differentiate the two) is NOT the father of the daughter that married Maitland. That would be his grandson, Robert III, who was married to Margaret Hay.

From Irvines and Their Kin:

William (otherwise Sir Thomas) the 2nd laird, son of the preceding [William de Irwyn 1st Laird of Drum]
(lived circa 1317-1380 or 1390). He married, according
to Douglas' Peerage, ed. 1764, a daughter of Sir Robert
Keith, Great Marischal, whom he had by Margaret, daughter
of Sir Gilbert Hay, Lord High Constable. This Sir Robert [Robert III]
was killed at the Battle of Durham, 1346. Her elder sister
married Sir Robert Maitland of Thirlstane and Leithington,
ancestor of the Earl of Lauderdale. But according to
Douglas and Woods' Peerage, this Sir Robert Keith had no
issue, and it was his sister who married Sir R. Maitland.
According to Burke's Landed Gentry, this laird married,
first, a daughter of Sir Robert Keith, and secondly, a
daughter of Sir Thomas Montford of Lonmay: both these
marriages seem doubtful. He was succeeded by his son.

Robert II died on 11 Aug 1332 at the Battle of Dupplin Moor, Perth, Scotland

Robert III died on 17 Oct 1346 Battle of Neville's Cross, Durham, England

Yes, the Robert’s are confabulated.

However, Medlands does not agree with TSP, which is part of how we come up with the sisters of Sir John Keith of Humbie & Innerpeffer (Medlands ignores them altogether).

1) Sir Robert ll de Keith, Marischal of Scotland - if seems he didn’t die in battle at all. Wikitree estimates “ about 1343 in Dupplin, Perthshire, Scotland.”

2) his grandson Robert de Keith (Robert lll) was never Marischal, according to Private User recent comment; and Medlands has him dead “after 1336,” with his brothers

Edward de Keith & Edmund de Keith killed in the Battle at Durham.

These girls are troublesome!

Burke’s has the daughter who married Robert Maitland as daughter of Sir William, Marischal, married to Isabel de Syntoun, and who died at Nevilles Cross in 1346.

http://www.thepeerage.com/p34770.htm#i347691

OK I fixed the date of Robert IIs death to 1332 the Battle of Dupplin, as it should be.

Robert de Keith

THIS is the Robert de Keith that died at Durham in 1346 (Battle of Nevilles Cross) AND was the father-in-law of Robert Maitland. or brother-in-law???

OR NOT.

Someone else will have to fix him. He is not one of my people,

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion