What is your definition of Swedish in this context?

Started by Private User on Friday, January 14, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Photo by Elena Ternovaja. CC BY-SA 3.0. Via Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Matt_Damon,_Berlinale_2023_(cropped).jpg
    Geni member
  • Photo by Siebbi on ipernity. Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license. Via Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Uma_Thurman_2014_(cropped).jpg
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
1/14/2022 at 6:22 AM

In my opinion and in this context someone who was born with Swedish ancestors is included. Since the interest and purpose lies in genealogy and relations to project members.

What is your definition for this use case?

1/14/2022 at 6:35 AM

Mainly I agree with you, David. Maybe we can add people who live(d) in Sweden too, like Mark William Levengood (even if born in another country)?

Private User
1/14/2022 at 7:06 AM

I just removed Anni-Frid Lyngstad, ABBA, since she got Norwegian parents and was born i Norway. Even though a lot of people consider her Swedish.

Mark Levengood was born in the USA with US and Finnish parents. Even though he made his career in Sweden it is far fetched to call him Swedish.

1/14/2022 at 8:02 AM

Why make it so strict and formal? Anni-Frid lived in Sweden for a long time, had a Swedish husband and became famous in Sweden as a part of a Swedish band.

Private User
1/14/2022 at 8:50 AM

I am not saying what is right, I started this conversation to hear your opinion. My belief is that we need some kind of definition to work with and I personally do not think that persons with no genealogy link to Sweden is of interest.

Should we include these as Swedish? I do not believe they would call themselves Swedish.
Uma Thurman had a Swedish grandmother.
Matt Damon has Finnish heritage and Swedish ancestors about 13 generations back.

1/14/2022 at 9:11 AM

Mark William Levengood is my 21st cousin five times removed.
Matt Damon is my 13th cousin thrice removed.
Uma Thurman is my 21st cousin thrice removed.

Private User
1/14/2022 at 9:26 AM

Depends if we are talking about who is Swedish and a celebrity as opposed to who is a celebrity in Sweden, perhaps.

Private User
1/14/2022 at 9:31 AM

In my mind Mark Levengood is a Finn.

Matt Damon has Finnish roots as well.

Uma Thurman is a quarter Swede.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion