Hubbard Gibson, I - Need Some Clarification

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Thursday, January 13, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
1/13/2022 at 5:39 AM

I've been trying to use this site to make confirm some of the family connections and comparing them with what is on Ancestry and here on Geni.

It 'seems' to me that this Hubbard Gibson I 'may' be incorrectly connected here on Geni, based on this site and the comparisons:

http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Gibson_Gowen.htm

'If" I'm understanding it correctly, the couple attached as his parents here would actually be his grandparents, as he would be the son of their son Thomas who married Mary Chavis.

If you look at the dates from the birth of the currently attached parents being born in early 1660s and this Hubbard not born until 1665-1670, there is definitely room for the extra generation and the dates to fit, since Thomas who married Elizabeth Chavis was born Sept. 3, 1639 and Elizabeth Chavis was born 1 Jan 1647.

It makes sense to me, but I'd like another set of eyes to go over it just to be sure.

Thanks in advance for any assistance / clarification.

1/13/2022 at 6:07 AM

I just pulled up the profile for Elizabeth (Chavis) Gibson and her About section lists Hubbard Gibson I as one of her children but when I click on the hyperlink to him in those notes, it pulls up this message:

The profile for DO NOT MERGE Hubbard Gibson, Sr, is no longer available.

Elizabeth (Chevers) Cartwright Gibson / Paspagegh

So it looks like at one time this Hubbard was connected to Elizabeth and her husband Thomas in exactly the way I mentioned in my previous post, but the connections were changed last August, from what I can make of the info under Elizabeth's Revisions tab.

1/13/2022 at 6:11 AM

Elizabeth now has a son named Hubbard attached to her and a link in his About section that doesn't mention who his parents were, BUT it does state:

Christian Priber left London in June of 1735 and by December was selling all of his worldly goods besides books, papers, pen and ink. He had a land grant along the Santee River in Amelia Twp., close to John Bunch and Mary Gibson, daughter of Hubbard Gibson.

http://the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2012/08/

THAT daughter Mary (Gibson) Bunch is the daughter of the Hubbard Gibson I've been talking about.

I know these same-name folks over and over in the same family are so very frustrating.

1/13/2022 at 6:16 AM

I'm making my own self dizzy with all this, but I 'think' this guy

Hubbard Gibson

is the same as this guy

Hubbard Gibson, I

and if they were merged and made the son of Thomas Gibson and Elizabeth Chavis, everything 'should' line up with the info on that well-documented site:

http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Gibson_Gowen.htm

and not leave a generation out of place, etc.

That one who is connected to Elizabeth as a son now but doesn't have a wife 'has' to be the same one married to Mary Poythress. His About section even has notes:

On 11 December 1721 Hubbard Gibson sold to Peter Poythress 200 acres on the Blackwater, part of a tract granted unto John Poythress, son of the deceased Francis Poythress, which 200 acres sd. John Poythress sold said Gibson 11 December 1704, sd. land borders on land sold to John Poythress by Hercules Flood.

indicating his connection to the Poythress family.

1/13/2022 at 6:21 AM

I apologize for be so lengthy, but i've been going over this for hours, trying to sort out the multiple profiles for Hubbard Gibson and the discovering that at one time the connections here on Geni mirrored the blogspot information and what's on Ancestry but now has a big gap between the ages of the parents connected her on Geni because that generation was cut out.

1/13/2022 at 8:01 AM

It looks like one of those is the son...

1/13/2022 at 11:49 AM

I think dates may be off and I think there are two different Hubbards.

http://the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2012/08/

“Do not confuse with neohew by the same name.”

1/13/2022 at 7:25 PM

I know there was a nephew and maybe even others in other branches with the same name. I'm trying to sort out whether there is a generation left out on Geni where this Hubbard is attached to his grandparents as parents.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion