Captain John Rolfe, Ancient Planter - What an amazing life

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Friday, December 31, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
12/31/2021 at 5:10 PM

“John Rolfe was born in 1585 in England and died in 1622 in Jamestown Settlement, Virginia. Married (1)Sarah Hacker, died in Bermuda; (2) Pocahontas, died in England; (3) Jane Pierce. One child with each wife.“

12/31/2021 at 5:18 PM

My parents, older sister and I returned to America on a ship from Germany. My mother said half of us were seated sick for most of the trip lol but to imagine this man and his wives and their individual experiences on the seas… this is how I like to “do” genealogy.. to imagine myself in their footsteps

12/31/2021 at 5:23 PM

*seasick

12/31/2021 at 7:06 PM

@Captain John Rolfe

I got caught in all the traffic yesterday in Richmond when I went to the Short Pump Shopping Center for an Eye appointment and I started noticing the street names mirror a lot of family names I recognize. John Rolfe Pkwy, Streets like Franklin, Williams, Matoaca. Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, Chester, Petersburg, Matoaca, Mechanicsville, Ashland are laden with historical markers. I plan to visit the Science Museum of Richmond and perhaps take a few pictures and buy a souvenir or two when the COVID is safe to do so.

12/31/2021 at 8:25 PM

There’s a theory that he’s the same person as John Rolfe

1/1/2022 at 12:05 PM

and Henry Rolfe, of London the same as Henry Rolfe of Narford ...
adding sibling lines is very helpful!

1/1/2022 at 12:10 PM

The one Henry married into my Utterback and the other my Reade

I would imagine it was a HUGE deal to disconnect from John Rolfe of Heacham

1/2/2022 at 9:17 AM

It's not really a big deal to disconnect the son John Rolfe from his father John Wolfe. The disconnection was because they could find no direct explicit documents to connect them, not that they actually proved they were in no way connected. That's a huge distinction in fact.

They could actually do that with the majority of trees for everyone, before the official written censuses started including children's names. Plenty of married woman in the listed censuses also lack marriage certificates and the maiden names they are given often rest on circumstantial evidence. The disconnecting all those trees, it's a not really anything more than stating the probabilities are not 100% certain but they are still very high. Even written records that are supposed to be direct evidence aren't 100% probable because of mistakes and lying.

1/2/2022 at 9:31 AM

It seems pretty likely John & Henry Rolfe were from the Heacham Rolfes, but which one? Parish registers hadn’t started yet. But the evidence for the “traditional” parents seems weak.

1/17/2022 at 3:35 PM

I do not see a profile on geni for the following person. Any Ideas?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JCQ4-L6D

1/24/2022 at 8:32 PM

Diana Collins - it’s not a meaningful citation to me, and there’s no tree. Pretty random.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion