Agnes (Butler) Rolfe - Is Agnes's maiden name Butter, or Butler?

Начала Erica Howton вчера
Возникла проблема на этой странице?

Участники:

Упомянутые профили:

Проекты:

Показаны все сообщения (11)
вчера в 10:09 до полудня

Private User asks the question and I think it’s a matter of how the handwritten sources have been transcribed. those records need to be examined.

It’s not something I can do right now, nor am I the best handwriting interpreter, unfortunately. So calling on community assistance.

Thanks Terry Jackson (Switzer) for bringing it up.

вчера в 10:15 до полудня

http://ketchrepublik.com/28694.thomas_butler.html

It has long been supposed that the mother of the children of Henry Sherman the elder was Agnes née Butter — which, due to a careless misreading, has often been written "Butler," leading to ludicrous speculations about her ancestry. This is because Pierce Butter of Colchester, in his will dated August 1599, proved 20 November 1600, named his "cousin Harry Sherman," and appointed his "loving friend Henry Sherman the elder" one of his executors. However, Mrs. Stratton has pointed out that John Wood of Dedham, clothier, left a will dated 8 March 1576/7, proved 2 April 1577, witnessed by Henry Sherman the elder, naming "my cousin Henry Sherman the younger."

вчера в 10:24 до полудня

Can of worms opened …
—-

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Rolfe-24

The FindaGrave page for Henry Rolfe (and many family trees) states that he married Agnes Butler (or Butter or Boteler) in 1549 and that Agnes had been born in Dedham, Essex in 1521 and died in Dedham, Essex in 1580.[4] While the 1555 will of Thomas Butler (or Butter) of Dedham indeed references a daughter named Agnes Rolfe,[5] there is no evidence that the Rolfe that Agnes Butter married was this profile's Henry Rolfe. It is, in fact, very unlikely that Henry of Hamptworth's spouse would have been born or died in Dedham which is about 170 miles from Hamptworth. It is also unlikely that Henry of Hamptworth would have had a spouse that died in 1580, since she is not mentioned in his 1558 will. It is most likely that, if Agnes Butler/Butter/Boteler married a Henry Rolfe, she married a Henry Rolfe of the more proximate Norfolkshire line of Rolfes (perhaps a relative of Robert Rolfe of Heacham, Norfolkshire).

—-

Disconnecting Agnes as wife of Henry Rolfe of Hamptworth

вчера в 10:27 до полудня

5. Genealogical Research in England," The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol LXXVI (October 1922), p 279

GoogleBooks

вчера в 10:34 до полудня

So - we have Will evidence she was Agnes Butter, daughter of Thomas Butter, and was called Agnes Rolfe in 1555. Who was her husband?

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Butter-186

Agnes wasn't married to Henry Sherman, at the same time Agnes was married to Rolfe, Henry Sherman was married to a Agnes, possibly the daughter of Robert Perpoynt.

It is apparent that Agnes Butter the wife of Rolfe, and Henry Sherman's spouse have been mixed up together, resulting in an overlap of dates and children.

The burial date of 14 October 1580, does not belong to this Agnes, rather it belongs to Henry Sherman's wife. Thomas Butter in his will identifies his daughter Agnes as: "my daughter Agnes Rolfe", in the same will he idenifies Henry Sherman's wife as: "To Henry Sherman's wife." They were two different individuals. [3]

(Note - this Wikitree still identifies her as wife of Henry Rolfe of Hamptworth)

вчера в 2:18 после полудня

Agnes Butter was not a known wife of Henry Rolfe of Hamptworth

She was married to a Rolfe, as named in her father’s Will, but which Rolfe I cannot so far ascertain.

Private User - which ancestor are you tracking?

вчера в 3:14 после полудня

Erica:
My reseach into Agnes indicates her maiden name was Butler, her father was Thomas Butler her mother was Lady Joane Sutton born 1504 in Dedham England she died 10/15/1555 in Dedham England. She married Henry Rolfe III born 1519 Downton parish Wiltshire England died 05/05/1558 Downton Wiltshire England. They had 5 children 2 girls (1) Margaret Rolfe born 1542 White Parish Wiltshire died in Downton Wiltshire date unknown, (2) Elizabeth Barkham (Rolfe) born 1549 in White Parish Wiltshire England, died 1625 Norfolk England she married Edward Barkham born 1550South Acre England died in Norfolk England, 3 boys (1) Richard Rolfe born 1544 in Hampworth Wiltshire England died 08/28/1567 Hampworth England, he married Elizabeth Saunders in 1564 in Wiltshire England she was born06/14/1543 East Knoyle Wiltshire England died 12/10/1604 in Hampworth England, (2) Henry Rolfe born1545 White Parish Englanddied 1604 in Downto Wiltshire England he married Alice Will she was born 1547 Wiltshire England died unknown (3) John Rolfe born 1550 in Downton Wiltshire England died 09/12/1625 in White Parish England he married Honour Dole born 09/24/1559 in Heacham Kings Lynn England died 10/26/1645 in Heacham Hall England. My source for this is the Mormon Church Archives. I hope this might help.
Greg

вчера в 4:04 после полудня

that’s an erroneous pedigree.

Agnes is named my daughter Agnes Rolfe in the 1555 Will of Thomas Butter, clothier, of Dedham in county Essex. Thomas BUTTER (not Butler), parents unknown, was married twice, his first wife was not Joanne Sutton, in fact, we don’t know her name at all.

wife of Thomas Butter Was Not the daughter of Sir Edward Sutton, 2nd Baron Dudley & Cecily Sutton Thomas Butter of Dedham Wrote his Will in 1555:

• Will of Thomas Butter of Dedham, clothier, dated 20 Aug 1555.
  • Wife Marion;
  • sons William, eldest, and John;
  • daughters: Alice Percyvall, Alice Butter my younger daughter, Sibell Butter, Margaret Butter, Faith, Mary, Grace, Ann and unborn child.
  • Agnes Rolfe; Harry Sherman's wife; Mother Butter; Edward Luffleyn; Richard Laxton; Mr. Cook of Lungsam; Mother Spink; Mary Busshop, servant;
  • grandson John Percyvall.
  • Exors: eldest son William and Henry Sherman.
  • Supervisors: William Pygott and Thomas Busshop of Dedham. *Witnesses: William Raynethorpe, clerk, John Rye the Elder, William Baynnyng, clothier.
  • Proved 7 May 1556 (P.C.C. Ketchyn, 5)[2]
вчера в 4:06 после полудня

It gets worse. We don’t know which Rolfe Agnes Butter married - but it wasn’t Henry the husbandman.

Not the wife of Henry Rolfe of Hamptworth Not the same as Agnes Sherman

Thomas Butter (1500 - 1555) was married twice, his first eight children from his 1st marriage: (Note: Haven't found proof of his 1st wife's name.)[1].

5. Agnes Butter, born about 1529, married to Rolfe [she wasn't the spouse of Henry Sherman, in Thomas' will he identifies all his daughters, he didn't do the same thing with Henry Sherman's spouse.] my daughter Agnes Rolfe only excepted

вчера в 4:09 после полудня

Henry Rolfe of Hamptworth Was not a known son of Henry Rolfe, II and we don’t know the name of his wife; she’s not mentioned in his 1558 Will so presumed deceased.

He names his underage children, Margaret Rolfe and Richard Rolfe, Sr.

—-

Which ancestor are you tracking?

вчера в 5:10 после полудня
Показаны все сообщения (11)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении