Geoffrey lll de Dinham's wife - Are there parents?

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, December 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
12/26/2021 at 4:48 PM

Hal Bradley, an excellent compiler, has no name for her:

https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~hwbradley/genealogy/aqwg1357.htm#22361

Sir Geoffrey de DINHAM Knight

1Weis, Frederick Lewis, Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700 (7th ed., Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992.), pp. 214-29, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 974 W426 1992.

2Cokayne, George Edward, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant (London: St. Catherine Press, 1910.), 4:369, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.721 C682.

—-

Phillip Lee Gibbs Has found a citation for her:

www.celtic-casimir.com

Sarah DE HORNACOTE

Born: 1218, Tresolyth, Cornwall

General Notes: daughter and co-heir and eventually heir to Margery her niece, Assize Roll 30 Edw I.

Events: 1. Alt. Birth; 1214, Hertland, Devonshire, England.

Marriage Information: Sarah married Roger CARMYNOWE, son of Robert DE CARMYNOWE and Unknown. (Roger CARMYNOWE was born in 1214 in Tresolyth, Cornwall.)

Marriage Information: Sarah also married Sir Geoffrey DE DINHAM of Hartland, son of Oliver DE DINHAM & Hartland and Elizabeth. (Sir Geoffrey DE DINHAM of Hartland was born in 1200 in Hertland, Devonshire, England and died before 26 Dec 1258 in Buckland Dinham, Somerset, England .)

The Carminowe Family

Roger Carminowe married Sara Hornicote, daughter and co-heir of Gervas de Tintagel or de Hornicote. Henry II granted the whole County of Cornwall to Henry Fitzcount who granted Tintagel (the traditional birthplace of King Arthur) and Hornicote to Gervas, who left them in 1208 to Robert Tintagel. King John, who had confirmed all the Fitzcount grants in fee in 1215-16, in 1220 ordered their resumption into the King's hands, except the lands of Robert de Tintagel. According to tradition Tristram and Isolde were buried at Tintagel

——

Celtic Casimir is a reasonable on line tree but doesn’t cite sources.

Please help find more sourcing.

12/26/2021 at 4:51 PM

Sarah de Hornacote With parents and 1st marriage.

12/26/2021 at 5:05 PM
12/26/2021 at 5:09 PM

I'll keep searching

Phil

12/26/2021 at 5:14 PM

The Visitation doesn’t show her 2nd marriage.

—-

Descent on the Dynham side.

https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/ZP_j84eH3XQ/m/...

For interest's sake, I've listed below the names of the 17th Century
colonial immigrants who descend from Josce de Dynham, son of Oliver de
Dynham and his wife, Isabel de Vere.

1. William Asfordby.

2. Nehemiah & George Blakiston.

3. Charles Calvert.

4. Frances, Jane, & Katherine Deighton

5. William Farrer.

6. Anne, Elizabeth, & John Mansfield.

7. William & Elizabeth Pole.

8. William Skepper.

9. Mary Johanna Somerset.

10. Samuel & William Torrey.

12/26/2021 at 5:26 PM

http://cybergata.com/roots/21599.htm

Geoffrey Dinant, son of Oliver Dinant, inherited the manors of Corton and Buckland, and had a summons with other persons of consequence, 41 Henry III, 1247, to repair to the King at Bristol well accountered with horse and arms, in order to march agains the Welsh. He died 43 Henry III 1259, leaving issue two sons, Oliver and Geoffrey.

~The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire, Vol. I, Parts 3-6, p. 338

12/27/2021 at 12:17 PM

Here is another source for Sarah being married to Roger De Carminowe:

http://www.josephsmithsr.com/getperson.php?personID=I31977&tree...

Name HORNICOTE, Sara de
Born 1214 Tintagel, Cornwall, England
Gender Female
Died Abt 1304 Tintagel, Cornwall, England
WAC 18 Aug 1936 SLAKE
_TAG Reviewed on FS
Headstones Submit Headstone Photo
Person ID I31977 Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith
Last Modified 19 Aug 2021

Father HORNICOTE, Gervaise de , b. 1188, Tintagel, Cornwall, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Aft 1256 (Age > 69 years)
Family ID F18224 Group Sheet | Family Chart

Family 1 CARMINOW, Roger de , b. 1210, Trenowyth, Cornwell, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 1284, Trelo, St Mewan, Cornwall, England Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 74 years)
Children
+ 1. CARMINOW, Roger de V , b. 1240, Trenowyth, Cornwell, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. Aug 1308, Cornwall, England Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 68 years)
Last Modified 25 Sep 2021
Family ID F18221 Group Sheet | Family Chart

Family 2 DINHAM, Sir Geoffrey de , b. 1200, Dingham, Somerset, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 26 Dec 1258, Hartford, Huntingdonshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 58 years)
Married 1233 Devon, England Find all individuals with events at this location
Children
+ 1. DINHAM, Knight Oliver , b. 1234, Hartland, Devon, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 26 Feb 1299, Hartland, Devon, England Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 65 years)
+ 2. DINHAM, Joanna de , b. 1244, Hartford, Huntingdonshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 22 Dec 1308, Trenowyth Manor, St. Mewan, Cornwall, England Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 64 years)
Last Modified 25 Sep 2021
Family ID F18223 Group Sheet | Family Chart

Notes

SURNAME: Also shown as Sarah

Sources
[S64] International Genealogical Index, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Sarah de Hornicote; Female; Birth: About 1215 Of, , Cornwall, England; Baptism: 23 JUN 1936; Endowment: 18 AUG 1936 SLAKE; Father: Gervais de Hornicote; Spouse: Unavailable; Relative/Proxy: Harmon Dudley PiersonOna E.D. Blodgett; Film Number: 184219; Page Number: 1260; Reference number: 28452
Record of LDS Church ordinance (living or proxy).

12/27/2021 at 12:36 PM

So we need to know what source the IGI used. The reference is to a “submitted pedigree.”

You’ve presented a puzzler! So far I can’t find it “except” in compilations that seem based on the IGI. But it doesn’t seem illogical, I just don’t know enough.

Which means we need a medievalist, and time to beg Anne Brannen’s help.

12/27/2021 at 12:43 PM

There’s some good references here, referring to the next generation.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dinham-6

Evidence that Joan was a Dinham

In 1309 Joan, widow of Roger Carminow, made an agreement about her dower with her eldest son Oliver. The document has a seal with the arms of Carminow and Dinham together: "The arms on the shield suggest that Joan was a Dinham by birth, which seems not to be otherwise known (though it is asserted, without authority, by J.P. Yeatman, The Early Genealogical History of the House of Arundell, p. 257b)." Quoted here, which goes on to say: "Oliver de Dinham held the lands of Roger de Carminow senior and the wardship of his heir in 1277, according to James Whetter's "Cornwall in the Thirteenth Century", page 151. Whetter goes on to name Joan, wife of Roger junior, as being a Dinham."

It appears that Oliver Dinham, guardian of the underage Roger Carminow and Roger's inheritance, arranged Roger's marriage to his daughter Joan, whose eldest son was named Oliver.

12/27/2021 at 1:10 PM

Interesting.

I'm not seeing any viable citations for Sarah's marriage to Geoffrey de Dinham. The IGI is using a submitted pedigree -- that's not really a ;source.

Geoffrey isn't given a named wife in the Peerage; it's not in the vistation nor the Somerset history; Sarah isn't showing up in places that cite their sources -- I would consider, unless something actually shows up that's actually real, that there's no evidence that they were connected.

(But I had some fun, because Nutwell Court shows up in the REED collection, on account of John Dinham showing up in accounts as playing for players. Elsewhere. Lol.)

(I used to research Cambridgshire for REED, is why I enjoyed that little segue.)

(Also, by the by, neither King Arthur nor Tristam nor Isolde were actually buried at Tintagel, since they didn't exist.)

(Just saying.)

12/27/2021 at 2:18 PM

Well, it’s not nuts. Notice the property & heraldry for the grand kids, but I think accounted for that way.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dinham-6

Agreement for assignment of dower

Oliver de Carmynou = (1)

Lady Joan who was wife of Roger de Carmynou, knight = (2)

Agreement between (1) and (2) for assignment of dower to (2) from the manors of Carmynou, Wynienton, Trezeued, Merthin, Kenel, Eglosros, Trelewith, Dysard, Resker and Hornicote, and the advowsons of the churches of Wyteston, Eglosros, Sanctus Rumon Maior and Sanctus Rumon Minor in Tyrhard. …

Seal [of (2)? Good, showing arms of Carminow (a bend, without the label of three) and of Dinham (five lozenges); 'Sig... Carminno']. ..

… Hornicate [= Hornacaott, in North Tamerton]

—-

I’m disappointed about Tintagel.

12/27/2021 at 2:28 PM

http://www.tim.ukpub.net/pl_tree/ps38/ps38_277.html Has more citations for Sarra Hornacote.

[58, Cornwall 1620, pub Harleian 1874, Carminowe, p. 296]

http://www.tim.ukpub.net/pl_tree/ps21/ps21_394.html

“ It is likely that she was Joan de Dinham, dau. of Oliver de Dinham (living 1273-1300), as suggested by John Ravilous on 18th April 2004:”

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion