The Order of the Crown of Charlemagne in the United States of America

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, December 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-33 of 33 posts

Donna Marie, it isn't about racism, it's about genealogy. You have to understand that in the US, history begins for most of us around 1600. Finding any connection of your ancestor to that history before 1600 is quite a revelation. And skin color isn't the only kind of racism, as my Irish ancestors could attest - but they settled those issues over a century ago.

But you you see exactly what I saw there, or you wouldn't have said it. The idea of an 'Order' of his descendants is a VERY slippery slope. You speak of the use of such an order on this site, I'm thinking in the broader modern world.

Private User
There are many "orders" and societies across the world for different people(s) of historical significance. One such is the Order of Genghis Khan in Mongolia.
In this instance, Charlemagne is the "Father of Europe" and 60% of Europeans can claim descent from him.... and 41% (133 million) of Americans are of European descent while 61.6% self-identify as white (243.8 million). Not to mention the millions of people of mixed heritage. That is a lot of people! There is a huge chance that many in these groups are descended from Charlemagne!
I am a descendant of Charlemagne and these orders and societies have helped put in perspective the who, what, why and how Americans are connected to their European ancestors.
To assume that all of Charlemagne's descendants are white and racist is the slippery slope - if not the edge of the cliff. As a person of both Native American and European descent, I can say that having a society such as the Order of the Crown of Charlemagne do a huge amount of the genealogical "leg" work for my European parts, has helped tremendously. As Peter Joseph Forsling put it very well, "it isn't about racism, it's about genealogy".

Much of Native American roots are from oral tradition which takes much more time and patience (listening) to extract so I'm thankful for the help in other areas.

Showing 31-33 of 33 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion