Year End Summary: Eleven New Lineages Added to GENI Rabbinical yDNA Index in 2021

Started by Private User on Tuesday, December 21, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
Private User
12/21/2021 at 11:41 AM

This year we added lineages for the following historical figures:

R' Avraham HaRofe, bca 1725: Wertheim and Giterman Ancestor: Rabbi Avraham Ha'rofe
R' Shmuel Zalman Shapiro, bca 1345: 1st Shapiro of Speyer: Rabbi Samuel Zalman Shapira, [1st Shapira - of Speyer]
R' Yoel Ashkenazi Katzenellenbogen bca 1550: 'Knesset Yekhezkel' Ancestor: R' Joel Ashkenazi-Katzenellenbogen
R' Mordechai Jaffe bca 1530: 'Baal HaLevushim': Rabbi Mordechai Jaffe, Ba׳al "Halevushim"
R' Tuvia Hassid Bacharach bca 1650: a Ruzhany Martyr: Tuvia Hassid Bachrach
R' Yakov ben Yehuda Weil bca 1385: 'Mahariv' https://tinyurl.com/rdbprwz8
R' Yitzach de Vitry bca 1120: 'R"I Hazaken' HaRav Yitzhak Ben Shmuel Jaffe, R"I HaZaken of Dampierre
R' Yehuda ben Moshe bca 905: 'Sir Leontin' Rabbi Yehudah Ben Moshe HaKohen, "Sire Léonṭin"
R' Zerechiah HaLevy of Girona bca 1115: Benveniste and Epshteyn ancestor Zerachiah Gracian-Hen haLevi of Girona (Ba'al haMaor)
R' Shabtai Ashkenazi bca 1621: 'Shakh' Rabbi Akiva Hakohen Katz, ABD Saloniki (Alter of Salonika)
R' Shmuel ben Chaim of Ostrow bca 1730: 'Charif' HaGaon HaGadol HaRav Shmuel "Hacharif" Ostrah (Ostrog)

Lineage details for these rabbis and about 35 others are available by viewing the file named 'yDNA_Rabbinical', available on the 'Photos and Documents' page.

Matching these lineages can be an effective research strategy, not only for rabbinical history scholars, but also for everyday genealogists looking to connect with a deeper ancestral tradition. Your participation could also make the index more accurate for future scholars and researchers.

12/21/2021 at 11:55 AM

Thanks for the excellent work Adam.

12/23/2021 at 3:38 PM
12/23/2021 at 4:03 PM

Good to hear. Thank you. It's my hope that many of our members may be able to eventually link to one or more rabbinical lines. Not for the yichus necessarily, but because it's frustrating to not being able to go back before 1810-1818 maximum.

Private User
12/24/2021 at 9:17 AM

NB: The correct URL for R' Shabtai Ashkenazi is HaRav Shabty Ashkenazi HaCohen Katz, the "SHaCH" (R' Akiva is a grandfather).

Randy Schoenberg If I can help with your suggestion please instruct (I am not sure how to accomplish what you are saying from within the project).

12/24/2021 at 1:28 PM

Private User, anyone who joins the project can edit the project page. You can probably figure out how to do it if you try to edit and see how they code everything.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion