Started by Private User on Monday, December 13, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
12/13/2021 at 2:08 PM

"NEVILLE, RALPH, de, fourth Baron Neville of Raby (1291?–1367), was the second son and eventual heir of Ralph Neville, third baron (d. 1331), by his first wife, Euphemia, daughter and heiress of Sir John de Clavering of Warkworth, in Northumberland, and Clavering, in western Essex...."

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Dictionary_of_National_Biography,_18...

Private User
12/13/2021 at 2:41 PM

It looks to me like possible confusion between the names Ralph and Randolph, which although similar are not the same at all.

RALPH: shortened from Radulf, from Old Norse Raðulfr (Old English Rædwulf), literally "wolf-counsel," from rað "counsel" (see read (n.)) + ulfr "wolf"

RANDOLPH: from Old Norse Rannulfr "shield-wolf" and Frankish *Rannulf "raven-wolf," both brought to England by the Normans.

Private User
12/13/2021 at 2:51 PM
12/13/2021 at 11:48 PM

@ So I don't remember how I found that Ralph Nevile was related to me. But it's through my Mother's family. It's the one that they had to sons that were king Edward the 3rd and another that was also a King. I think it's Ralph Neville that's my 13th grandfather of Raby Castle. I had to start a new facebook page to include my maiden name, Bertsch. So I'm locked out of my Geni site as Gail Chism. I'm curious how you found me. I'm on the free Geni site. Thank You for contacting me. Look forward to more conversation, Gail (I live in Everett Wa, 30 miles north of Seattle Wa). Where do you live? Just curious.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion