Abigail McClung (Dickson) - Maiden Name

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Monday, November 29, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts

I'm a little confused by this from the About seciton

Catherine Dickinson's original will dated 17th February, 1790 (no certificate of probate). Son John, daughter Mary, granddaughter Nancy. A statement in the papers says Adam Dickenson died intestate, leaving one son John, a daughter Mary Davis, and Mrs. McClung, the only child of Abigail Carpenter.

----------------------

I had first noticed that this Abigail has the maiden name Dickson rather than Carpenter but she's connected a full sister to Judith Carpenter but then half sister to their brothers Samuel and Jeremiah. I thought perhaps her maiden name being listed as Dickson was an error, that it should Carpenter since Joseph Carpenter is connected as her father, not a step-father.

But the excerpt from the About section states that Mrs. McLung, wihch would be this Abigail, was the only child of Abigail (Dickinson) Carpenter. Yet the mother Abigail has Judith connected as her daughter also.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what I'm reading, but in any case needing to have some clarification on the maiden name of this Abigal as to whether Joseph Carpenter was her father, etc. so I can be sure if the Geni pathways are correct.

Thanks.

Bad merges, or https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/129723486/abigail-mcclung is wrong. Need to investigate.

Findagrave is wrong - Dickenson is a middle name, not surname.

http://www.meadowbluff.com/genealogy/1221.html

Abigail Dickenson CARPENTER

Thanks, Erica. Also, according to Ancestry, the sister Judith connected is connected to the wrong family here.

Judith “Juda” Shawver

Judith is on my half-sister's paternal lines and Ancestry trees have her parents as a Joseph Carpenter with his wife Leah, not Abigail. Which that matches the About section comment that Abigail only had one chlild - this Abigail McClung.

Judith (Carpenter) Shawver
1764–1860

BIRTH ABT. 1764 • Augusta, Virginia, Colonial America

DEATH 1860 • Virginia, USA

Father: Joseph Carpenter (1720–1792)
Mother: Leah Carpenter (1720–1792)

The same Joseph? Just use the relationship tab drop down box to select the correct parents. I’m here so I’ll do it, but most members can so it.

Well the same Joseph here has wives Leah and Abigail, so it appears to be the same Joseph unless someone has mixed up two same-name guys and given them both wives.

That's why I prefer a descendant or curator make any necessary connections, because I'm an inlaw thru my half-sister on her Shawver lines, and a distant cousin sharing the Peake ancestry on my lines. But I'd only recently worked a little on the Shawver connections, which is what brought me to these other folks I'd never heard of before and don't know anything other than what is in any of the profile notes or Ancestry info.

So the connections I'm really working with are how these folks are connected to the Shawver line through Judith (Carpenter) Shawver. But that's when I noticed that Abigail is probably her half-sister, not her full sister...based on the profile notes.

I meant corrections, not connections

That's why I prefer a descendant or curator make any necessary connections, …

Then you’ll wait a long time. I manage 100,000 profiles and curate 50,000. Geni has 1.6 million profiles.

If you know the answer, jump in. These profiles had very good sourcing, it was just technical fixes. The Carpenter Cousins hire one of the best working genealogists and update every two years. I didn’t even look at their site / his reports for this because I know the site I was working with used those reports. :)

Typo:

https://www.geni.com/worldfamilytree

Profiles connected by Geni's World Family Tree:

http://www.meadowbluff.com/genealogy/10255.html

Item I give to my well beloved Daughter Juda Shaver the Sume of ten Shillings Current Money of Virginia

But see, you things like you mentioned about the Carpenter Cousins, and I'd never heard of these folks.

Thanks so much for that link!

I fix the things I know on my direct lines, but as you know...when tracing connections to inlaws and distant cousins we run into lines we know nothing about and we need their managers to document and/or fix any errors. Like you, the rest of us researching our lines don't have time to fix unknown lines not in our direct ancestry either. I'd never get my own research done if I had to do all that. Might as well sign up to be a Geni curator if I was going to tackle all that, and I'm winding down on research at this stage of my life. So I open discussions hoping the people who posted the profiles and those who manage them, etc. will jump in and assist. My discussions are usually, unless on my own direct lines, an effort to bring an issue to their awareness, as many times they haven't realized there is a problem.

And I love that you do start the discussions, it’s been very helpful to me to see profiles tagged.

You’re a good researcher, I’m just hoping to get people to take advantage of the existing research to do little fixes. I tend to source the “main” family with a link as a start, and then as i can, build out the family. So I just extracted the link from Joseph’s (father’s) profile to answer to the Juda question.

So - look around “nearby” …

Thanks, Erica. :).

And, it was only because of the good notes in that profile about Abigail only having one child and Ancestry showing Leah and the mother of Judith that I was able to see what probably needed correcting. It always helps if there's something of substance in the profiles.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion