Marilyn Monroe - Profile update

Started by Private User on Saturday, November 13, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• This work is in the public domain because it was published in the United States between 1925 and 1963 and although there may or may not have been a copyright notice, the copyright was not renewed. Via Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Monroecirca1953.jpg
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
11/13/2021 at 3:18 PM

You're approaching such a request in the wrong way. Threads in the public discussion section is not relevant as the general public doesn't run things regarding individual profiles. You instead ask the curator of the profile and they aren't interested in Oliver Stone style sensationalist pseudo-conspiracy theories.

Also, don't be surprised if the photos you added get deleted. It's very doubtful they are in public domain which would mean that they are legally automatically copyrighted.

Private User
11/13/2021 at 3:30 PM

Tell us what you want to update and show the facts/documentation. The profile is locked because there is so many undocumented claims, so if you have any good primary documentation of your claims we are happy to add it.

Private User
11/13/2021 at 6:46 PM

Hello, Private User. I'm the curator for Marilyn Monroe's profile, so I'm happy to consider specific suggestions you might have.

As Bjørn noted, this profile is locked because of a history of lots of false information being added to it. In addition, it has historically attracted a lot of plagiarism and copyrighted text and photos being added. The image that's locked into place is one of the few available of Ms. Monroe that Geni can use without violating copyright law, so it's unlikely that I'll change that. But again, if you have specific requests, and if you can prove that another image you prefer is free of copyright issues, then I'm happy to consider it.

Private User
11/13/2021 at 6:50 PM

I should add -- and I'm sorry to disappoint you with this -- that it looks like most or all of the photos you've added are indeed copyrighted, so Geni is likely to delete them. I'd encourage you not to upload more, since I know that takes a lot of time and I don't want your work to be wasted.

11/14/2021 at 8:19 AM

Marilyn Monroe is my 25 th cousin.

Private User
11/15/2021 at 2:09 AM

Marilyn is my 14th cousin on my mum's side of the family.

Private User
11/15/2021 at 5:35 AM

About the fatherhood of Marilyn, I read that she herself believed that Charles Stanley Gifford was her father. I don't know if there is any documentation on this, but if there is certainty in that Mortenson is not her father, maybe is should be specified/made changes?

Private User
11/15/2021 at 5:41 AM

"He was the possible biological father of Marilyn Monroe. Charles Stanley Gifford began working with Gladys Monroe Baker, at Consolidated Films, after his wife, Lillian Priester, sued him for divorce. In her divorce petition, Lillian charged Gifford with addiction to narcotics, abuse and with associating with women of 'low character' Gifford, a hypershooter and developer at Consolidated, had began an affair with Gladys earlier that spring. It is believed that Gifford deserted her on Christmas Eve 1925 when she informed him of her pregnancy. Throughout her life Marilyn always believed that Gifford was her father. He settled in Gilman Hot Springs, Riverside County, California and became the owner of some cottage apartments. Stan moved to nearby San Jacinto where he was successful in founding and operating the Red Rock Dairy in the 1960s with a drive through window in the front where customers could obtain dairy products without getting out of their cars. According to employees, it seemed Marilyn would do just that on occasion while en route to Palm Springs, California, while riding in her chauffeur driven limo thus forcing the unbelieving father to fill her order." https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9866/stanley-gifford

Private User
11/15/2021 at 7:47 AM

There are several theories about Monroe's paternity, and the reality is that we simply don't know and can't make any kind of determination without DNA, which doesn't exist as an option.

Our practice is to show her legal father in her tree, but also keep a curator note on the profile stating that the certainty of him being her biological father is not proven.

Private User
11/15/2021 at 4:41 PM

yes, I understand.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion