Zalman Joffe of Kukliai - This person never existed.

Started by Geoffrey Sea on Sunday, October 10, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts
10/10/2021 at 6:34 AM

This is a fake profile. There is no evidence that this person ever existed. The entry under "sources" is not a source but just a repetition of the fake profile. What is the documentation behind this profile?

10/10/2021 at 2:13 PM

Geoffrey, let's delete three quarters of Geni database since there are no hard evidence for their existence! Cool it off!

10/10/2021 at 10:10 PM

Geoffrey Sea. Fill in your own tree if you do not like the information do not use it. Stop harassing everyone. You would have to delete many of the biblical people. Did they exist? We don’t know. Fill in your own tree.

10/12/2021 at 10:39 AM

Yoseph, what information do you have that there was ever such a person as Zalman Joffe? No one yas yet given any shred of evidence.

10/12/2021 at 6:52 PM

Geoffrey Sea. Let’s see your tree. All you want to do is stir up trouble. You have no solutions or suggestions. You have no tree built. As I stated before many profiles could be deleted by your standard. Move along and build your tree. If you don’t like the information do not use it.

10/13/2021 at 2:08 PM

Geoffrey Sea
You joined Geni.com
June 3, 2021.

You have not created a tree.
Your two entries are private

So the question is,

Who are you and why are you attacking our families tree?

Are you related to us?
Have you spoken to our thousands of Cousins about your claims.
What is your issue with our family tree?

Private User
10/14/2021 at 8:21 AM

Geoffrey Sea, you've made a definitive claim but provided no evidence to back it up. I choose to believe oral history and shared DNA match interrelationships before I will ever believe someone like you who seems to have a personal mission to debunk the work of dozens of family researchers. Please stop taking the joy out of our pursuit of family history and find something else to focus your energies on.

10/14/2021 at 11:23 AM

If you believe this person to a "fake profile", I would suggest, just remove the profile from your tree. It would be impossible to actually prove someone existed in most cases due to lack of paper evidence or records. If you can prove its a fake, then please provide it.

10/14/2021 at 11:45 AM

Ryan Lesnick it's a shared, collaborative tree. It's fair to ask how a person knows that the information they've added is accurate.

10/15/2021 at 2:54 PM

Mike, Everyone connected to this individual has word of mouth confirmation from generations past that this person did exist. I see you work for Geni. Are you telling me that you will remove any profile that paper documentation cannot be provided for? Since most of this branch of family is pre 1800, will you be deleting all of connected profiles as well? And Mike, show me in your rules and regulations were people can be harassed with repeated emails and messages from non relatives that insisting profiles are fake. This is crossing the line and is not the way to handle profile authenticity. If this is your idea of collaboration, then GENI is probably not the site for me.

10/15/2021 at 5:30 PM

Geni has supported source citations since 2007. Obviously we wish more people would use them, but it's evident that many do not. And we don't make it a requirement because we're not going to force you to prove that your parents and grandparents are who you say they are.

When you're talking about a profile dating to the 16th century, that's being used as a lynchpin to connect a particular family to the Joffe line, that has far-reaching implications. This particular profile has been on Geni for over a year, so obviously No, we're not going to track down and delete every historical profile that's missing sources.

What typically happens is that someone comes along and asks the question: Where did you get this information? And that's when the proper evidence starts to come out. Upload it as a source, respond to the discussion, put it in the About -- ANYTHING to help us understand where this name came from. But that's not what happened here... this time around, nobody is willing or able to say where the name "Zalman Joffe of Kukliai" came from. "Word of mouth from generations past" might constitute an answer, but any serious genealogist knows that's not the proper way to document oral history.

For a profile as important as this one is, someone should make the effort to document it properly.

10/20/2021 at 8:39 AM

Mike,
If this member has a question, don't you think he should probably send a private message in a normal manor instead of being on the attack and being aggressively accusatory?
There is a proper way to communicate in the civilized world, and repeated messages with claims that profiles are "fake" and they need to be deleted is not the way to do it. Look at the responses from everyone on these discussion forums. I am not a professional genealogist and did not claim to be. I have a a regular job and do the family history thing as a hobby. If posting oral history is a prerequisite for using Geni, then make that known before using your site so people understand beforehand. Your average person is not a professional genealogist and is usually not comfortable with posting conversations with loved ones on public forums. However, there is a contact member option that should be used in these situations. If Mr Sea genuinely wanted to have dialogue, he would behave like an a respectful normal adult. By promoting this type of behavior, you are creating just another social media outlet for strangers to fight with one another. I know I speak for many members on here, if we are, at minimum receiving weekly messages with threats and accusations, I don't see the conversation going far with any resolutions. Please promote professional and respectful communication between members.
I think this is a general rule in life when you need to work with others.

Private User
10/20/2021 at 5:39 PM

Mike,

Mr. Sea has claimed that one of my ancestors is also "fake." She was born in 1553 and since I do not have documents verifying her existence, he sent me a rude email. Finding documents from the 16th century where they were extremely scarce to begin with is nigh impossible.

Genealogy has become my hobby. I am still learning and both enjoy and learn from other Geni users. There should be no place in Geni for harassment and unpleasant communication.

10/21/2021 at 10:58 AM

Not only has Zalman Joffe of Kukliai been determined to exist genealogically, as described extensively in the Overview section, but Y-chromosome DNA testing of living direct male descendants of his children show a common haplogroup and a common ancestor living at the appropriate time. Now to be fair, DNA nucleotides do not include the first or last names of their bearers. But the level of coincidence required for men who both genealogically and genetically trace to the same ancestor in the same time period and yet it is not the identified person (in this case Zalman), would be incredible. Incredible, as in its original meaning of "not believable."

10/22/2021 at 7:20 AM

Mr. Sea we have asked you many times what is YOUR evidence that the profiles are not real ?
No documentation does not make a profile fake.
In addition the profiles you have questioned have been added by many different people and added to Geni.com all different years. Why hasn’t other people protested these profiles?
What is your motivation? Why do you keep slandering Mr. Levine when other people have posted the profiles?
In addition we have Cousins whose DNA match the profiles in question. Also stated above by Alex you have not provided any sources or solutions. Besides biologically if they were not real some of us would not have been born.
I look forward to hearing from you.

10/22/2021 at 1:41 PM

Ryan Lesnick the reason we recommend asking for evidence in a public discussion is because we don't want everyone to have to repeat this process over and over again. Hash it out in public (there's no privacy issue here regarding someone born in the 16th century) and then leave the discussion in place so that anyone else who comes along can see that it's already been discussed. I agree that opening with "fake" is overly-accusatory but the question stands: where did this name come from?

Private User how do you know this guy is one of your ancestors?

There should be no place in Geni for harassment and unpleasant communication.

Harassment and abusive language are a violation of our Terms of Use. So far we've already had to temporarily suspend one account for violating these terms. Please email details to misconduct@geni.com and we will investigate.

Debra Katz I'm glad to see you here -- your name came up in private messages but I had no way to track you down. Can you be more specific about this DNA evidence? How many STR markers were tested? Were any SNPs tested? Who's the matching descendant on the Joffe side?

Michael Golden how exactly is someone supposed to prove that a person never existed? The burden of evidence lies with the person who says such a person existed.

In addition we have Cousins whose DNA match the profiles in question.

Is this the same situation that Debra mentioned, or is there more DNA evidence?

10/22/2021 at 3:56 PM

Michael...we are talking about millions of SNPs tested (-:)...one descendent did a BigY test (FamilyTree DNA), which in addition to the SNP assessment includes 700 STRs, as you may know. Several (at least 5 I'm sure of) descendants had 37, 67 or 111 marker tests and all were close matches---genetic distances of 0-2. Technically it's possible the named ancestor in a tree is wrong---e.g. the common ancestor of a given set of Y-DNA matched descendants could have been the brother or paternal first cousin of the named ancestor. But again, that would be quite the coincidence, since especially with the more "famous" common ancestors, it was usually only the famous sibling who had extensive genealogical documentation....which in turn, is necessary for people to have discovered their linkage to that person.

On the autosomal front, there are literally---LITERALLY---hundreds of people who descend from this same major lineage and who match each other genetically (at Ancestry, MyHeritage, FTDNA etc.) at similar spots on the same chromosomes. While this does not address the validity of a particular specifically-named ancestor, it does show that there were common ancestors at different specific levels of genetic distance ---in other words, the common ancestor(s) at each generation HAD to have existed---so if they weren't who individuals whom people have traced back to, who were they? (see the last line of my paragraph above as it applies here as well.)

10/27/2021 at 11:05 AM

Debra Katz I need to better understand what the DNA matches showed. You said "Several (at least 5 I'm sure of) descendants had 37, 67 or 111 marker tests and all were close matches---genetic distances of 0-2" -- close matches to what? Each other? Is it supposed that they are related through this Zalman Joffe (name unimportant, as you state) or could they have had a more-recent common ancestor?

What do autosomal DNA matches mean with regards to an ancestor born in 1591?

10/27/2021 at 11:35 AM

I would be interested also in the Y-DNA details because if members of the Yoffe / Jafe family on the male line and members of the Kukla family on the male line are close matches, that's certainly evidence worth considering.

As far as autosomal DNA matches, due to recombination, it's unlikely that there would be much shared DNA left after even 200 - 250 years. With endogamy, it's true that us Jews share multiple ancestors and there are small pieces of shared DNA, but it's not possible to know where that DNA is from when we're talking about 300 - 500 years.

Let me give you some examples. I share NO DNA with my 3rd cousin. With a 5th1R cousin I share a longest segment of 11 cM. With a 6th1R cousin I share a longest segment of 32 cM and that's remarkable frankly, due I'm sure to our family having lived in the same small village for 300 years and intermarrying.

So, let's hear about the Y-DNA details.

10/27/2021 at 4:30 PM

Hatte and Michael:

First of all, the YDNA indicates multiple descendants are in haplogroup J2a-Z6048-BY37931 (the last being the most recent terminal branch that includes all the Jews I believe are connected.) However, the known Kukla-Joffe descendants are on the sub-branches of BY37931 named Y37133--S24712. Hatte, is that what you were asking for or did I misunderstand your question?

Michael, you asked who the YDNA matches matched...yes, each other. The point is, you have several men---who were not previously known "cousins" to each other---who have traced their direct paternal lineage (son to father to father etc.) to a given ancestor and then when they undertook some YDNA testing, they all turned out to share the same YDNA lineage...which then becomes powerful evidence that they not only share a paternal ancestor but that this ancestor is the one on which their paternal line genealogies converge. The more people who do this testing...especially if they descend from even more distant common ancestors, the stronger this evidence becomes.

To key off of Hatte's comments re autosomal DNA...she's right that the amount of inherited DNA from a given ancestor diminishes with each generation and also that there is variation in how much DNA gets transmitted at each generation, so you can't always judge relationships from the exact amount (centimorgans "cm") you have in common with someone. Sometimes you share less than expected with a closer relative and more than expected with a more distant one.

Having said that, I have discovered over years of genetic genealogical analysis, that the common traces of an ancestor as far away as 10 generations do exist. (Originally I'd followed the conventional wisdom that a match of less than 100cms with blocks less than 20 cms wasn't likely to be worth pursuing...but that turns out to be very wrong if you are talking about people who share these long, deep, rabbinical lineage connections.)

There is dispute as to how "long" a generation should be...our ancestors married early so it might only be 15-20 years in some cases, yet there are plenty of times when a male ancestor was still fathering children in his 50s...and a female ancestor in her 40s. So I use an average of 25-35 years. Thus the range of years when there is still likely remaining autosomal DNA evidence from ancestors is roughly 250-350 years before the birth of the person doing the testing (1950 is a good average year for that). That puts the likely ancestral timeframe for the smaller segments at about 1600-1700 CE.

We cannot 100% prove a specific named ancestor from centuries ago IS the common ancestor---or the only common ancestor---between a set of people with autosomal DNA. But when many, many people----45 in several of my Kukla-Joffe lines!--- all share a similar segment of autosomal DNA and also have traced most of their lineages back quite far---and yet they only all match on one lineage.....well, I consider that to be powerful evidence that they share the common ancestor indicated.

I might add that paper trails are not 100% either....non-paternity events, outright "lies" by ancestors (usually for a good reason, but lies nevertheless) etc. all may make a "solid" paper trail less solid that it appears.

10/27/2021 at 4:52 PM

Thanks Debra. I see that Y37133--S24712 formed 500 years ago (estimate) and TMCRA is year ago, if I am reading the chart well.

How many men are we talking about having tested Y-DNA with a small GD with the Y67/Y-111/Big Y test? Is Y37133--S24712 the known Joffe/Yafe subgroup and how many men of that male line are tested Y37133--S24712?

I agree that under some circumstances, one can use autosomal DNA beyond ~ 200 years, but I would still caution you that with rabbinical families the intermarriage was so frequent and occurred over centuries so know who was/were the common ancestor may not be solvable.

10/27/2021 at 4:53 PM

I say this as someone whose family is rabbinical and for which family the cousin marriages and marriages with other rabbinical families was the norm. My great grandparents for example were 1st1R cousins and a large percent of the marriages in recorded history in our family were with cousins all the way until and even continuing upon immigration to the U.S.

10/27/2021 at 4:56 PM

Is this a DIFFERENT Joffe/Yafe family?

http://www.eilatgordinlevitan.com/kurenets/k_pages/jaffe.html

The JAFFE SURNAME PROJECT currently has 13 members; hardly enough to draw
any firm conclusions about the origin(s) of the family(ies). However, seven
members, all of whom carry the surname or a variation, are determined or
predicted to be in the same haplogroup (E1b1b1) which has been found to be
common among both Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews. Two members are determined
or predicted to be in haplogroup R, one in R1a1 and one in R2. Both
haplogroups have been found to have Central Asian origins, but R2 appears in
a cluster of Ashkenazi Jews and is suspected to have a connection with the
Khazars. The R2 member incidentally is a third generation descendant of a
famous 19th Century rabbi. One member is in haplogroup G which appears to
have Anatolian origins but does appear among a significant number of
Ashkenazi Jews. Two members are in haplogroup J1e which appears to have its
origin in the Southern Levant (the Arabian Peninsula, the Sinai and the
Negev) and is frequent among Arabs (Bedouins, Yemeni, Palestinians) and Jews
(particularly Cohanim). One of these does not carry the surname. One member
who does not carry the surname but is known to be a descendant of a family
that does, is in haplogroup I2b1, which is closely related to haplogroup J."

10/28/2021 at 3:57 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer IS THIS A DIFFERNT JOFFE FAMILY? In a word, yes. The very fact that so many haplogroups are involved in that project tells you that multiple paternal lines are represented and none of them who are in different haplogroups have a common ancestor in historical times (last few thousand years...in most cases, last 10,000+ years!) What is very possible is that many of these families are related, just not along a direct paternal line. As you may know, Jewish men would often take the names of in-laws, cousins etc. if the latter were famous or esteemed...or sometimes it was done for the more mundane reason of fooling czarist authorities.

10/28/2021 at 4:02 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer Regarding the Kukla-Joffe YDNA haplogroup---no, it is not in anyway officially decided/proven that Y37133--S2471 is the one and only "true" clade of the Joffe-Kukla line. For that to be the case we would need more than the 5-6 or so people who have tested thus far to also test and do so at high levels (111 markers or better yet SNP /BigY testing). What we have now is what I would call a strong set of evidence data based on those who have tested thus far who can claim a direct paternal descendance as far back as they have traced. If more people test and have the same results---OR if some test and have different results**---then we can move it to the realm of "proven fact." **you need several different results to cast doubt on the theory--only one person might be the result of hanky-panky. (-:

10/28/2021 at 4:39 PM

Debra Katz

I assume that of the 5-6 people who have tested, some are Joffe and some are Kukla?

Based on my experience, I would recommend Big Y. I had three lines tested Big Y.

Yes, I'm that son-in-laws would take their esteemed father-in-law's name. My family is Margolis and there are a few different families. We don't match the well-known ones, but we are a rabbinical family married with many other such families. It's possible that was the case in our family of course.

10/28/2021 at 4:53 PM

Debra Katz can you help us by identifying which Joffe descendant has matched which Kukla descendant? And how many STRs / common SNPs? If you'd rather not put this info in a public discussion I'd be happy to hear from you via private inbox messages: https://www.geni.com/threads/new/54

10/29/2021 at 1:42 AM

Mike Stangel Are you asking for genetic info that includes data from a descendant from the Joffe lineage from 16th century, but who has no Kukla-Kukliai connection? If so, it would have to be someone who descends from Rabbi Moredchai Joffe "HaLevush" or one of his brothers but it cannot be not a descendant of the Levush's son Rabbi Yehuda Arye Leib.

As far as I know, there is no such person who has done the DNA testing, although I'd be delighted to be proven wrong about this. The people I know about all trace on their paternal lines to the Levush via his son Rabbi Yehuda's son Abraham, born ca 1570, who moved to (and died in) Kukliai, Lithuania, although the GENI Master profile claims he died in Hebron. (but I don't see proof of that any more solid than the evidence he died in Lithuania) Regardless of where he died, his sons lived in Kukliai and so all their descendants are Kukla-Joffe folks, so to speak.

I'd love to see Y-DNA results for someone who is a direct male descendant of one of the Levush's other sons...e.g. Rabbi Peretz Jaffe, since based on what I see in trees his male descendants did not move anywhere near Kukliai....but I haven't found any such persons as yet. (His other sons are all listed on GENI as "undocumented" so their descendants wouldn't be as useful). If anyone finds a relevant male line descendant of a pre-Kukla Joffe lineage, I'd pay for the YDNA test!

10/29/2021 at 5:49 PM

Debra Katz maybe I'm confused; if there's no Y-DNA match to someone who's ONLY related across the Zalman Joffe connection, then how can you say DNA evidence proves that the Kukla's are descended from the Joffe's?

10/29/2021 at 10:52 PM

Mike Stangel What I am saying is that DNA evidence thus far---both YDNA and autosomal---supports the existence of Zalman Joffe of Kukliai and his brothers....all of whom adopted the "of Kukle" or "Kuklya" or similar surnames.

Further, I don't see why finding a "pure" Joffe is necessary if the genetics and genealogy support the existence of Zalman, his siblings, his father etc. (in other words, this further testing---while it would be wonderful, don't get me wrong!) is not necessary to answer the issue that started this thread of whether the profile is "fake" or of an actual person.)

There are 36 people listed as managers of the profile of Zalman's gpa Rabbi Arye Leib...perhaps one of them is aware of a living descendant in the tree such as described above. I do not have time right now to contact all of them and search for such a person...and I presume you are not suggesting that this is what must be done to keep all the Joffe-Kuklas on GENI. That kind of standard would lead to the elimination of half the trees on the site!

However, if you want to find a "pure" Joffe ancestor who does not have any "Kukla-related" descendants...you would have to go back to Zalman's father (Abraham)'s brothers...or else Abraham's father Arye Leib's brothers, or the Levush's brothers...and then, to do a YDNA test, you'd need to trace down a direct male line to a living male descendant. So far I have not found such a person, but if you or Hatte or someone else knows of them, as I said before, I'd be open to paying for a YDNA test.

One factor here is the fertility of the Kukla-Joffe lineage...there are a gazillion descendants as the autosomal DNA testing has shown. The other lineages from the Levush (and his ancestors) are not so fertile...or at least, far fewer living descendants realize their genealogical heritage. For example, out of hundreds of thousands of autosomal matches (I've tested everywhere on the planet!), I've yet to find one that has the "pure Joffe" heritage lines I referred to above. I'm sure they exist.

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion