Bruce Springsteen - Filling Out the Family Tree

Started by Stephen Daniel Harper on Thursday, October 7, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
10/7/2021 at 1:15 PM

In view of Bruce's continued popularity and his apparent interest and pride in his Italian/Irish/Dutch roots, I was surprised to find that his Geni family tree was a little sparse. I have therefore spent a bit of time recently trying to fill it out, including citations to source documents where possible. There are still some branches left to explore, however! Not surprisingly, it has been difficult to find good documentation for his ancestors before their arrival in America, although it seems that genealogists have put some effort into this. I would be interested in collaborating with anyone else who has an interest.

10/7/2021 at 5:12 PM

I can help on the NJ Dutch side. And we do have excellent Netherlands genealogists, if you find something to post for them to look at.

Thank you for taking on this Holy Mission. :)

10/8/2021 at 8:15 AM

There's a fair amount of information posted in Geni for the early Springsteens, going back to the Netherlands. But, on first glance, it seems to be rather confusing and inconsistent and I'm not sure how much of it is backed up by actual documentation. I will take a hard look at all this and see if it can be cleaned up a bit (and any gaps or questionable lineages duly noted)..

10/8/2021 at 10:44 PM

I’ve been working on cousins, and just ran across this video about Bruce’s heritage (Ellis Island awards)

https://youtu.be/8UXcArb4nT4

10/9/2021 at 5:34 AM

Thanks, I had not seen that video before.

10/9/2021 at 10:00 AM

One of the puzzles I'm trying to crack relates to William Springsteen: William Springsteen

Specifically, I'm having trouble documenting the name and origins of his wife, the mother of Alexander Springsteen. Some secondary sources list her as being Sarah Jacobs. There is an 1822 marriage record from NJ which lists "William Springstill" and "Sara Jacob", which may be the original source being relied on. That could be correct, despite the different spelling. On the other hand, the date seems to be after the reported birth date of son Alexander Springsteen (January 1822). But I guess the birth could have been out of wedlock! William shows up listed as a "pauper" in both the 1850 and 1860 census, with no sign of a wife. I suppose it's possible she passed away before 1850. I cannot find a "Sarah Springsteen" that matches up well in age in any census. Anyway, I will keep working on this - so far, I've just checked Ancestry and FamilySearch.

10/9/2021 at 10:09 AM

Possibly inaccurate

http://www.wargs.com/other/springsteen.html

32 Alexander William Springsteen, b. ... , N. J., ... , d. ...
m.
33 Sarah Josephs, b. ... , N. J., ... , d. ..

10/10/2021 at 10:15 AM

Here's a link to another compilation of Springsteen family information that I stumbled upon. Might be helpful in providing some leads. I'm finding a fair number of Springsteens in the New York/New Jersey area, circa 18th and 19th centuries, but I'm still working on figuring out the connections.

https://www.ourheritage.info/2021/03/08/springsteen-family-survey-f...

11/1/2021 at 1:14 PM

Ny gma was gehroty and i have them in abury park area

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion