Christijn Pietersz van de Caep - Children and Partners of Christijn Pietersz van de Kaap

Started by Private User on Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
Private User
10/6/2021 at 3:33 AM

Reviewing the available sources, I would like to propose that Christijn's sons appear to fall into at least 3 groups that correspond to different prospective partners:

1. Pieter
Willem van de Caap
These two sons are recorded as "halfslag" in their baptism records (1692 and 1694), but there is no record of a surname attached to either of them. It is possible/likely they share the same the same unknown European father. FFY postulates that this Willem is the same person as Willem Stoltz. But that is problematic. It would mean Willem Stoltz married his own niece. Not impossible.......but hopefully not likely. There is also a conflicting death date and freedom status between Willem Stoltz and a published source (Campbell et al) for this Willem. So I think it best that this Willem and Willem Stoltz should remain separate profiles until the matter can be clarified.

2. Arnoldus Koevoet
Hendrik
Arnoldus's baptism 1697 doesn't appear to mention if he was heel/halfslag, but Campbell et al suggest he was "heelslag". Hendrik's baptism 1701 records him as "heelslag". So both can be tentatively ascribed the same father.

3. Johannes Morgh and Andries Morgh (both recorded as "halfslag" in their 1703 and 1706 baptisms). Campbell etal refers to "Morgh" as a Dutch surname, so these two seem to be correctly grouped together as sons of ??? Morgh.

Private User
10/6/2021 at 3:59 AM

P.S. FFY includes a daughter Susanna bt 1699 among Christijn's children. This appears to be her baptism record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZN4-WR8?i=37&...
If I'm correct in deciphering "Halfslag" following the entry...then she falls between Arnoldus and Hendrik. So perhaps these 3 each need to have a separate father?

10/6/2021 at 7:11 AM

That's great. Do you need my help to effect this?

Private User
10/6/2021 at 8:11 AM

Yes please Sharon, your help would be most appreciated!

I've been trying to resolve what is published in Gwyn Cambell et al "Bonded Labour.... " with FFY, but there are many contradictions. The former is based on Arnoldus Koevoet's letters, and is referenced with many footnotes, but without being able to view them (I'm only looking at a restricted online version) it's difficult to assess.
For example:
-Campbell et al say Christijn died Christmas day 1719. But FFY references her still alive in an opgraaf 1725.

-Campbell et al identify Anna van der Heijden as Christijn's daughter (they quote a reference in the letters to "neef Kootje/onse Koitie" whom they believe is most likely Anna's son Jacobus van Beulen. FFY however suggests that Christijn's daughter Anna van Christina and Anna van der Heijden are most likely not the same person, due to her reported age when her first child was born. This split would resolve a number of issues, it would do away with the DNA discrepancy in Upham's theory that Christijn was Claesje's daughter, and that Stoltz married his niece. But seems too convenient. Anna's manumission as "Anna van Christina" c1715/16, her marriage to van Beulen and birth of her daughter Anna c 1714/15 line up so well.

- We can't have Anna van der Heijde and Willem Stoltz both being Christijn's children without the thorny issue of an incestuous uncle/neice marriage. But if not, one of them appears out of thin air with no baptism record or likely parent.

- We also have conflicting baptism dates for Christijn's son Pieter. FFY has one in 1692 but there is another one in 1714. Perhaps the earlier Pieter died and a later son given the same name?

-There is no mention of the FFY daughters Lijsbeth and Susanna in Campbell et al. Perhaps died young?

These additional children (Lijsbeth, Susanna and the earlier Pieter) should be added to the Geni tree.

10/6/2021 at 11:17 AM

I've unlocked Christijn Pietersz van de Caep - all the other profiles are unlocked.

10/6/2021 at 11:38 AM

Please go ahead and add the children you think should be there - including your reasons in the About. It's fascinating, and hopefully when I'm finished marking matric prelims, I'll be able to engage more usefully.

In reconciling Bonded Labour and Debt in the Indian Ocean World ,Gwyn Campbell, Alessandro Stanziani Routledge, 2015. https://books.google.co.za/books?id=GIZECgAAQBAJ&pg=PT89&lpg=PT89&dq with FFY http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g8/p8955.htm it may be that Delia Robertson would have her interest piqued in talking about your propositions, if she has the time.

10/6/2021 at 10:25 PM

Sharon Doubell Private User I am on a mission to review all these people on FFY. However, it will take time, there are a lot of sources to (re)check/recheck, add, update, etc, and the analysis will follow.

At present I waiting on a copy of the essay in the collection Bonded Labour and Debt in the Indian Ocean World which I expect to receive the week of 18 October. That will enable me to also see the sources and citations on which the essay is based.

I'll update the individuals on the website as they are ready.

10/6/2021 at 10:27 PM

Sharon Doubell, Private User - hit send too soon, hope it makes sense.

I'll let you know when profiles are updated.

10/6/2021 at 10:58 PM

Thanks Delia - it does. Go you! Perhaps Ian can help you with researching this aspect.

Private User
10/7/2021 at 1:52 AM

Thanks for your message Delia, great to hear you are going to review the Bonded Labour essays and orofiles surrounding Christijn Pietersz.

The Koevoet letters sound fascinating and a wonderful primary source for genealogy, but extrapolating genealogy from them no doubt will always involve a measure of interpretation. So I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion