Benjamin Harrelson, I - Clean up request of Benjamin Harrelson I and a few other items....

Started by Susanne Floyd on Saturday, September 18, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
9/18/2021 at 8:52 AM

As most of you may know, I am pretty passionate about keeping these lines straight as possible and here is what has dawned on me with looking at the wills of Benjamin Harrelson, I and a contemporary of his John Smith IV who is the father of Benjamin's supposed wife Celia Harrelson

After working on the son of Benjamin I, Benjamin Harrelson, II whom we accept as the DAR proven son of Benjamin I and Ruth Harrelson I do not believe anymore that Ruth who is clearly named in Benjamin I's will is Celia Ruth or any such name. The dates do not fit AND here is what I do think from having read the will of John Smith IV:

Celia Smith Harrelson is likely the wife of Benjamin Harrelson, II.

Celia is noted as "Celia Harrelson" in father John Smith IV's will and received "land granted in my own name." However, her brother James received land purchased from Benjamin Harrelson, Jr. indicating a relationship if business or family. If Celia was married to Benjamin II whose wife is currently marked unknown, that would make more sense. Benjamin II or his brother Lewis would be the two Harrelsons of about her age in the region. Celia cannot be the wife of Benjamin I as she was still alive when his will was probated. (Lewis has a DAR proven wife (Jean/Jane). Joseph Harrelson brother of Benjamin I had some sons in the area including sons named Benjamin and Lewis that I am trying to sort and get them all MPd and locked, but they are accounted for either with wives or by geography as are the other brothers of Benjamin I and their immediate descendants who could have married Celia.

I would make a move that all Benjamin I's children are by wife Ruth, named in his will and that Celia Harrelson be cut from that profile and added to Benjamin II as his probably wife and mother of Benjamin Harrelson, II. I think this is a case of because there were two Benjamins the wives have gotten confused in history and how many times has that happened?

9/18/2021 at 8:55 AM

Sorry, I meant that Celia and Benjamin II are parents of Timothy David Harrelson Hard to be the father of yourself! :-)

9/18/2021 at 9:48 AM

I am contacting a curator for review.

9/18/2021 at 11:00 AM

Just adding what DAR shows - not much!

https://services.dar.org/Public/DAR_Research/search_descendants/?ac...

Search »
The Said -- Name Restricted -- was the child of

Timothy Harrelson born on c - - 1805 at Marion Dist SC   
died at Carmichael Twp Marion Co SC on 9 - Jun - 1887 and his  ( 1st ) wife
Lourany Goodyer born on c - - 1810 at Marion Dist SC
died at Gaddys Mill Dillon Co SC on - - 1889 married on - -   

Search »
The Said Timothy Harrelson was the child of

Benjamin Harrelson born on a - - 1765 at SC   
died at Marion Dist SC on a 5 - Oct - 1840 and his  ( 1st ) wife
born on - - at SC
died at _______________ on - - married on - -   

Search »
The Said Benjamin Harrelson was the child of

Benjamin Harrelson born on a - - 1740 at _______________  
died at Georgetown Dist SC on a 2 - Mar - 1802 and his  ( 1st ) wife
born on - - at _______________
died at _______________ on - - married on - -   
9/18/2021 at 11:14 AM

I am looking.

9/18/2021 at 11:26 AM

Thanks to you both. I went to the wikitree site and posted a discussion on Celia (Cealey) Smith Harrelson's profile. They have her at 114 years old. Not likely.

It doesn't make sense when John Smith IV and Benjamin I were contemporaries and neighbors. Ruth Harrelson was obviously the wife when Benjamin I died and the mother of the older children Benjamin II and Lewis (as per DAR). Celia is likely the wife of Benjamin II and the dates of her birth have been misaligned through history to make her fit to Benjamin I. (Even though she lived long past him.)

I think all of Benjamin I's children belonged to Ruth. Where Seleh Commander comes in, I have never been able to find. I think she is an outlier confused with Celia. I do not believe any children were of the marriage with Selah Commander if there was a marriage, again as all the children named in the will are younger than Benjamin II and Lewis, known children of Ruth.

I had by chart paper out. :-)

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion