Hokolesqua, Sachem Cornstalk - Extra family

Started by Erica Howton on Monday, August 9, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-48 of 48 posts

Erica, I have to catch up, but I noticed one thing right off the bat that I can help with. It is the same Peter Cornstalk, son of Cornstalk that you are finding in many different places, including Kansas.

Erica: "Cannot find evidence Catherine Vanderpool actually married her Shawnee captor, Hokolesqua, Sachem Cornstalk" that's not correct.

It was her daughter Elizabeth who married/partnered with Peter Cornstalk, son of Cornstalk. You will find in the rolls of the captives who were released, Catherine and all of her children with the exception of Elizabeth were returned. Again, I don't think this will meet your standards, but there is DNA to prove this relationship.

We show the daughter marrying Peter Cornstalk, yes.

That’s another topic for another day. Off the top of my head, Elizabeth existed, her parents, husbands and children are known, and the dispute is Peter’s parentage. So from his profile, submit scholarly evidence for it that counters Sugden. DNA won’t work because we don’t have verified Cornstalk to compare with … wait. We have Silverheels. Well, that’s a bigger topic. Show how Sugden was wrong.

Re: Cornstalk's parentage:

"The widening Shawnee cooperation in the peace negotiations was organized by a new generation of hokimas. Nucheconner, Laypareawah, Kakewatchiky, Paxinosa, Kishacoquillas, and several other prominent prewar headmen had died during the conflict. They were succeeded by a cohort of younger leaders, often their direct descendants. Kisinoutha, a Mekoche headman who had taken a prominent position in the peace process by 1759, was the son of Kakewatchiky, the old hokima who had first led the Mekoches from the Wyoming Valley to the Ohio. Kisinoutha often joined forces with Nimwha and Colesquo (Cornstalk), who were the sons or grandsons of Paxinosa, another headman originally from the Wyoming Valley. When organizing the peace talks with the Crown officers, these young hokimas collaborated closely with Miskapalathy and other popular military leaders. ..."

The connected citations say:

"Most of the older headmen simply disappear from the documents, suggesting that they died. The death of Kishacoquillas is reported in MPCP 6:153-1544, and that of Paxinosa in Fliegel, Index to the Records of the Moravian Mission, 324. For the relationship between Kakewatchiky and Kisinoutha, see Schaaf, Wampum Belts and Peace Trees, 136; for Paxinosa, Nimwha, and Colesquo, see Fliegel, Index to the Records of the Moravian Mission, 324; Sugden, Blue Jacket, 48, 236. ..."

The citation is:

• Lakomäki, Sami. Gathering Together: The Shawnee People through Diaspora and Nationhood, 1600-1870, pp. 78-79. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press, 2014.

This volume is from the impeccable Lamar Series in Western History, which counts Philip Deloria, Robert M. Utley, Virginia Scharff, and Jay Gitlin amongst its editors. Wholly trustworthy.

Lakomäki also notes that there were two separate men named Cornstalk -- Colesquo and Walekakothe. So we have to be mindful of that.

Erica, Mr. Stackpole corresponded with one of my cousins years ago. His family was a Shawnee adopted by the Cherokee. He was quite old at the time, so perhaps his memory was a little faulty and that might explain the varying dates. There is more information to firm it up. I'll see if I can acquire it for you.

Sorry I'm cutting and pasting, but I don't want this to be confused:

Erica, in reply to your comment: "That’s another topic for another day. Off the top of my head, Elizabeth existed, her parents, husbands and children are known, and the dispute is Peter’s parentage. So from his profile, submit scholarly evidence for it that counters Sugden. DNA won’t work because we don’t have verified Cornstalk to compare with … wait. We have Silverheels. Well, that’s a bigger topic. Show how Sugden was wrong."

There is evidence. Will do ;)

I'll just note here that not all of the Moravian records have been translated into English.

Translation isn't a problem. We have many German-speakers, including native speakers in Germany and Austria and academics who've published in German, on the Geni curating team. If there's a record that needs translating, we'll get it done. Same with the French records -- just post the record and we'll handle it.

Do we want to set up “White Fish” as son of Chief Paxinosa & parent of Cornstalk?

We (think) we know that Nonhelema was daughter of Katee & Ocawella, and sister of Cornstalk, but presuming she really was, she could have been half sister or step sister. In other words, do we equate Ocawella with White Fish?

Im looking for information on Nonhelema Grenadier Squaw. She may have had a child with her first shawnee husband when she was 16. I find her as Hanna. If I can prove this, Nonhelema Grenadier Squaw is my 5th ggm. Any 8nfo or direction would be most appreciated. Nonhelema Grenadier Squaw is Cornstalks sister.

Joni, We have documented what information we have on Nonhelena. As you know, actual hard evidence is very sparse on Native Americans. How or what do you have that points you to this “Hanna”? To add this child to the tree will require something to show in her profile, otherwise it is just speculation or another “”Indian Princess” story which we (myself included) have heard from family members. And unfortunately, 95% of these stories are just wishful thinking. Not trying to “burst your bubble” so to speak, just being realistic. We have deleted and disconnected many NA profiles that have been built based on family stories. Without something definitive, we aren’t being fair to ourselves. If you have something, by all means let us know, we are here to help you. Best regards, Lloyd

I'm finding all of your remarks very interesting, but I see I need to come back to this later. My Hertiage shows a connection to Ellinipsico "ellinipseko, Elinispisco Nipseko" "nathaniel" Christian. But when i to My Heritage, he's listed as Thomas Nathaniel Christian with his wife as Jane Standing Deer Ewing (Christian). No parents listed for him and her parents as Alexander & Anne Ewing. But no info as to why the Native American names. So, I'm scratching my head, realizing I need to do some research. When I did "plain search" for Thomas Nathamiel Christain his father is shown as Thomas Lewis. I think someone messed up info for my links to Cornstalk. My ancestors may not be conntected to Cornstalk after all. Sometimes in the retelling of family stories a fact or two can be misinterpreted or misheard or something. But, thanks for all of your research.

As a side note, see the Native American tribe name, the name Tecumesh & OH caught my attention because my 7x grandmother was captured in PA by Tecumesh's ancestors in 1744 and taken to their home in what now is Ross County, OH. (her info can be found easily along w/a pic of her historical marker in OH where she lived with the Shawnee) This makes your info even more interesting.

Thomas Christian

I believe that’s a disproved Family legend.

Elizabeth Shoemaker - is that the second person you’re talking of?

Hello Erica. I just wanted to note that Chief Cornstalk was never referred to as Peter. His son Peter was indeed his son. Peter Cornstalk is mentioned many times n books and journals of the period; first-hand accounts. Elizabeth See is indeed correct. This is one of my direct family lines to Chief Cornstalk. I do not wish to engage, I just would like to note for the record that my family and I disagree...and so does the DNA.

Think you, Dorene.

I was leaning toward to thinking that myself. I had noticed on GENI the name for his father and traced that back. Plus I was reading the history of Cornstalk and could not see the connection.
Thomas Nathaniel Christian was killed in a battle with Native Americans when he was with Capt Stephen Trigg who delivering ammo to Forts. But where and when he was killed are diiferent from Chief Cornstalk. I have a tendency to take some info I find with a "grain of salt" unless there is concrete evidence proving it,

As for my 7x grandmother, there is concrete info about her. How the info on Find--a-Grave in not entirely correct according to her historical marker and other info. It was actually French fur traders she convinced to trade for her. I visited the area last summer. Now to get our info corrected.

I think Chief Cornstalk had a relationship with the Moravian Missionaries. It is documented that he did so and that his wife was a convert to Christ. It is documented that a Reverend.named Henry Rauch won many of the natives in that area to Christ. Once they were baptized they then would be given a Christian name. I think it is possible that is where this line of Roach's originated. Also, the shipped that they owned at the time of their arrival was named Catherine of the Sea. Catherine Elizabeth See. There is information at the Crown Archives in Dalton, GA concerning Littleberry Roach and his Cherokee Connection.

Showing 31-48 of 48 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion