William de Camville - Need help with this line

Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts

No no no no no no no! The Sir Richard Camville who married Millicent de Rethel had *only one son* - another Richard. This is BLATANT from studying the descent of Stanton Harcourt: it went from Sir Richard *inlo the hands of King Henry II* on the grounds that young Richard was but a minor - and young Richard had to retrieve it from Richard I Coeur-de-Lion, probably be agreeing to go on Crusade with him. But he never returned, and the manor passed into the hands *OF HIS SISTER*, who was married to Sir Richard Harcourt.

None of this could *ever* have happened if there were any other sons to claim the manor; ergo, there weren't.

*Please*, Melissa. The Normans were a patriarchal bunch who not so very long ago had forcibly ousted their King's only surviving legitimate child, his daughter Matilda, in favor of her cousin Stephen, primarily because Stephen was male and they *did not want* a female ruler. (It didn't help that Matilda was arrogant and overbearing, and made enemies where she should have been making allies.)

There is simply *no way* that a sister would be allowed to inherit (or pass her inheritance through her husband to their children) if there were any other possible male heirs.

Even the most "expert" people can have blind spots, and there has been a *major* one with respect to the Sir Richards (plural) Camville. Cawley got caught in it. Apparently so did Mr. Roberts. (Some less expert and more credulous people have mashed three/four of him into just one.)

An argument can be made that Sir Richards I and II of Oxford were the same person (the data work just as well either way), but it goes to pieces when you try to add in Sir Richard Camville of Warwick, the man who granted land for the founding of Coombe Abbey. *That* Sir Richard's son and heir Gerard not only witnessed that charter, but Gerard vetted other charters that show he had three brothers (Walter, William and Richard) and a sister Matilda (who was NOT the Camville daughter who married Sir Robert Harcourt - no, Matilda married William de Ros).

There *might* be an argument for Richard Camville of Warwick being a younger half-brother, but the hanky-panky around the manor of Benham blows holes in that. The chronology just doesn't work. Richard of Oxford, holder of the manor of Stanton, went on Crusade with Richard I and died at the siege of Acre (1189-91). King Richard was there himself and must have known about it. When he (finally) got back to England, in 1194, King Richard leased the manor of Benham, in Berkshire, to Richard Camville of Warwick, and it *stayed* in his name until 1198 (probably when Richard of Warwick died). Richard's older brother Gerard laid claim to Benham (Richard's son John having died without heirs about that time or earlier), but King Richard wouldn't have it, ousted Gerard, and re-gifted the manor to Hugh Wake. (Didn't do Hugh a lot of good, as both he *and* the King died before the year 1200 - but that's another story.)

Well, here we see the biggest and worst problem with early medieval genealogy. Two people - including "experts" - can look at the same data and come to dramatically different conclusions.

*YOU* explain how the same person can have died at the Siege of Acre and been alive three or so years later to be granted a(nother) ,manor.

This woman is confusing.

Or rather, her husbands.

Auberée de Marmion

I’m not quite getting the ordering of her marriages - is it really the same woman married to both men?

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Marmion-6

We definitely have records of William de Canville, castellan of Llansteffan, married to an Albreda "daughter and heir of Geoffrey Marmion" during the late 12th and early 13th century (1194; 1204-1206).

The Marmion ancestry, especially this early, is quite fragmentary and does nothing to clarify the situation.

Everything else so far makes sense and is consistent. I want to check the immigrants to America, that’s the usual “fail” point. Here’s hoping we’re OK.

Bad. The Astons have gotten mixed up.

Ellen Lowthroppe Is supposedly the child of Thomas Aston, from Fole or Checkley in Staffordshire. Thomas Aston, of Fole

But his wife was not Bridget Aston - she married https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aston_(died_1553)_

Their children are shown here

https://books.google.com/books?id=piwUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA107#v=onepage&q...

I think there must have been two Auberee/Alberedas. It was quite a popular name back then. Wanna bet they turn out to have been aunt and niece, or cousins?

Remember that Wikitree citation you waved at me? Go up one link https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Camville-5 and it's a stuffed-up joke. That's *at least* two Richard de Camvilles jammed together, and probably three.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol12/pp274-281#p2
In 1066 STANTON, including land in South Leigh, was held by Alnod, and in 1086 by Odo of Bayeux: it was reckoned at 26 hides, (fn. 7) of which one lay in Hanborough and was given to Oseney abbey c. 1138. (fn. 8) Another 1 ½ hide in 'Pereio', probably in South Leigh, and held under Odo by Wadard, was apparently absorbed into the main Stanton estate before the late 12th century. (fn. 9) Following Odo's forfeiture the estate was held possibly by Ranulf Flambard, and in 1101 by Rualon d'Avranches, perhaps in custody. (fn. 10) Before 1130 Henry I gave it to his second wife Queen Adela, (fn. 11) who alienated it piecemeal, mostly after 1135.

Before 1141 Adela gave to her kinswoman Millicent, wife of Robert Marmion, land in Stanton Harcourt and South Leigh worth £40, four fifths of the value in 1086. When Robert died c. 1144 the estate, later called STANTON HARCOURT, passed to Millicent's second husband Richard de Camville, on whose death in 1176 it was seized by Henry II. (fn. 12) It was held in custody by Richard Rufus until 1190, (fn. 13) when Richard I restored it to Richard de Camville's son Richard, who died on crusade in 1191; it then passed to Robert de Harcourt of Bosworth (Leics.), who had married the elder Richard de Camville's daughter Isabel. (fn. 14) Thereafter, apart from a brief period in the early 17th century, Stanton Harcourt descended in the main line of the English Harcourts, who made it their principal seat until the early 18th century.
(Footnotes)
8. Oseney Cart. i, p. 3; iv, pp. 16-17, 21, 84, 107.
9. V.C.H. Oxon. i. 405; above, Intro.; below.
10. Hist. Mon. Abingdon (Rolls Ser.), ii. 84-5; Royal Writs Eng. (Selden Soc. lxxvii), p. 485.
11. Reading Cart. i, no. 536a; Pipe R. 1130 (H.M.S.O. facsimile), 6.
12. Reading Cart. i, pp. 402-3, 405-6; Eynsham Cart. i, pp. 398-9; Reg. Regum Anglo-Norm. iii, no. 140; Complete Peerage, viii. 506-7; Pipe R. 1191 & 92 (P.R.S. N.S. ii), xxv-xxvi.
13. Pipe R. 1182 (P.R.S. xxxi), 124; 1190 (P.R.S. N.S. i), 11; 1191 & 92 (P.R.S. N.S. ii), 100; cf. Eynsham Cart. i, pp.398-9.
14. Sir C. Hatton's Bk. Seals (Northants. Rec. Soc. xv), no. 42; Pipe R. 1191 & 92 (P.R.S. N.S. ii), 251.
(From A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 12, Wootton Hundred (South) Including Woodstock. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1990.)

That second paragraph tells us a few things:
1) The Richard de Camville who married Melisende died in 1176, so was *certainly not* involved with the Third Crusade in any way;
2) He and Melisende had only one son, another Richard, plus a daughter (name given as Isabel from later sources, inc. Hatton);
3) Son Richard was not yet of age when his father died (or the King couldn't have pulled off his grabby act);
4) Isabel was *probably* older than Richard, as she was already married by 1191;
5) There were no other available male heirs (no other brothers, no paternal first cousins, etc.), or Robert Harcourt would not have been allowed to inherit, "jure uxoris" or not. (The English inheritance rules remained *very* strict well into the 20th century - see the sad case of Vita Sackville-West https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vita_Sackville-West, who had to see her beloved family home go to her male cousin instead of to her.)

We are also clearly and explicitly told, through various charters, that the Richard de Camville who founded Coombe Abbey (in Warwickshire) had at least *four* sons: Gerald, oldest and heir, Walter, William and Richard (probably, but not necessarily, in that order).

The authors of the History of the County of Berkshire (Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1924; pp. 97-110) made the careless assumption that Richard de Camville of Warwick = Richard de Camville of Stanton, and just gloss over the problem that Richard de Camville of Stanton had died heirless in 1191, while Richard de Camville of Warwick had a son John (at least until the later 1190s) and held title to the manor of Benham from 1194 to 1198. A simpler explanation is that they were *not* the same person - and we know that the Richard who held Benham was of the Warwick family because *his older brother Gerald* tried to horn in on the manor in 1198.

As for William de Camville of Llansteffan, he's *probably* Gerald's younger brother, but he's somewhat under-documented until he starts showing up in land records around Clifton Campville in the late 12th- early 13th century.

Follow the property. Look at the children. Medieval genealogy is often enough self contradictory.

I’m still puzzling over Albreda’s (simultaneous?) marriages.

1. WILLIAM de Camville (-before 25 Apr 1200). m ALBREDA Marmion, daughter of --- (-after 1220). King John confirmed "castellum et villam de Landesteph" to "G. de Camvill fil Will de Kamvill", naming "Albred Marmion matre ipsius Gaufridi", by charter dated 25 Apr 1200[1025]. Bracton records a claim, dated 1220, by "Albreda Marmiun" against "Henricum de Aldithelega" for "ecclesiam de Cliftona", adding that she had custody of "terram…Gaufrido de Camuilla filio suo"[1026]. William & his wife had one child:
a) GEOFFREY de Camville (-before 20 Sep 1219). King John confirmed "castellum et villam de Landesteph" to "G. de Camvill fil Will de Kamvill", naming "Albred Marmion matre ipsius Gaufridi", by charter dated 25 Apr 1200[1027]. m firstly (divorced on grounds of consanguinity) FELICE, daughter of PHILIP de Worcester & his wife ---.

—-

How were Felice & Geoffrey too closely related?

Douglas Richardson has Aubrey de Marmion with 2 husbands and cites records.
—-

https://thesignsofthetimes.com.au/35/70743.htm

The following is a post to SGM, 30 Nov 2003, by Douglas Richardson:

• Subject: Re: Bishop's Kinsfolk: Bishop Godfrey Giffard's kinsman, William de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick
  • Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
  • Date: 2003-10-30 08:25:54 PST

Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem 1 (1904): 1-2 Inquisition Post Mortem of Margaret alias Margery de Cormeilles

Writ to the sheriff of Hereford, 16 May, 20 Henry III [1236]. Inq. (undated).
Her daughters, Alice, the wife of Robert le Archer, and Isabel, the wife of Simon de Solers, are her heirs by Walter de Stokes, her husband.

HEREFORD. Tatinton and Bolingehop' in Clehungre, ½ knight's fee, containing 3 carucates (and) 100 s. rent, held of the king in chief.

Eston town, 1 knight's fee held by Roger de Eston.

GLOUCESTER,
Begesoure and Hennemerse, 1 knight's fee held by James de Solers.

Writ to the sheriff of Gloucester, 17 May, 20 Henry III [1236]. Inq. (undated).

GLOUCESTER. The jury know of no land held by any Margaret de Cormailles of the king in chief, but one Albreda de Marmiun sometime held certain lands of the king in chief in dower, which lands Henry de Penebrigg' now holds of Hugh Giffard, and he of the king in chief.

C. Hen. III. File 1. (5.) END OF QUOTE.
- - - - - - - - -

The inquisition above indicates that a certain Aubrey Marmion formerly held Cormeilles property in dower, which property was being held in 1236 by Hugh Giffard, the known husband of Sibyl, one of the four Cormeilles co-heiresses. This suggests that Aubrey Marmion was the widow sometime before 1236 of a Cormeilles male, presumably Walter de Cormeilles himself. Also, it indicates that Aubrey Marmion survived her Cormeilles marriage, and was presumably dead before 1236.

Inasmuch as the inquisition above indicated that the Cormeilles family held lands in Gloucestershire, I checked the Book of Fees for anything pertaining to Walter de Cormeilles. I found the following item in the source:

Book of Fees commonly called Testa de Nevill. Part I (1920),pg. 50:

A.D. 1211-1213. Gloucester.

"Feoda Walteri de Cormailles in Wunnestan [Winson] et Elkestr [Elkstone] et Sid' [Syde] cum pertinenciis v. milites." END OF QUOTE.

- - - - - - -
Finally, I located an article in the Bristol & Gloucestershire Society journal which pertains to the Cormeilles family. The author states unequivocably that Walter de Cormeilles married Aubrey Marmion, but he does not give his source. Interestingly, the article reveals Bishop Godfrey Giffard's known kinsman, Thomas de Solers, was a descendant of the Cormailles family as was the Bishop.

Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 40 (1917): 115-116:

"… Richard Cormeilles, his son, was father of a second Richard, and grandfather of Walter Cormeilles, who married Albreda de Marmion, and left by her four daughters, his co-heiresses, viz. Albreda, married to John le Brun; Sibyl, the wife of Hugh Giffard; Alice, married to Godfrey de Craycumbe; and Margaret, the wife of Walter de Stokes. At the death of Walter de Cormeilles his estates were divided between his four daughters. The Manors of Hope and Aston in the County of Hereford, together with the Manor of Pauntley, and certain other land in Gloucestershire, came to Margaret, the wife of Walter de Stokes. She dying without male issue, her property was divided between her two daughters, co-heiresses. The elder, Alice, carried the Manor of Aston in marriage to Robert le Archer. The younger, Isabel, wife of Simon de Solers, inherited the Manors of Hope and Pauntley. The manors remained in the Solers family until 1310, when by Inquisition P.M. it was found that John, son of Thomas Solers, held at his decease, besides the Manor of Solers Hope, the Manor of Pauntley in Gloucestershire, and that his "kinsman" William de Wytington was his heir (see pedigree post). By the marriage of this William de Wytington of Co. Warwick with Maud, only daughter and heiress of John Solers, the Manors of Solers Hope and Pauntley became vested in the Whittington family from 1310 to 1546." END OF QUOTE.

I don't know who made the connection between Aubrey Marmion, wife of Walter de Cormeilles, and Aubrey Marmion, wife of William de Camville. I believe that Paget is correct that the two women are the same person, especially given Bishop Giffard's claim to kinship to Earl William de Beauchamp. Reviewing my notes, I see that Paget gives two sources for the marriage of Aubrey Marmion and William de Camville:

Plac. temp. Ric. 1 & Joh. rot. 4; Cart. l Joh. m 5

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

As usual, they've got the wrong Richard de Camville - or rather they've got that mashup that some careless researcher threw together and passed off as valid.

"Plac. temp. Ric. 1 & Joh. rot. 4; Cart. l Joh. m 5" = 1199/1200. (I think I saw references to William & Albreda as early as 1194, and as late as 1206?)

Albreda's birth date becomes questionable when you consider that she had at least five children (by two different husbands) after the year 1200.

Yes, it’s totally not working. Aubrey’s Camville husband was living in 1214, she could not have married second to a man (Walter DE CORMEILLES of Pauntley & Hope) who died 1204.

Geoffrey de Camville of Llansteffan Must have inherited Llanstephan from his mother, who got it from her father, Geoffrey, who got from his father Roger Marmion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Marmion

Welsh feudal barony of Llanstephan

A second barony was obtained by Roger Marmion, lord of the manor of Fontenay-le-Marmion during the Norman invasion of Wales when he was rewarded with the Barony of Llanstephan, whose caput at Llansteffan Castle played a central role in the Welsh wars.

Stirnet has this Richard de Camville as

• Gerald de Camville of Lilburne Castle (a 1140) m. ?? de Ver (dau of Aubrey de Ver) wife of the father of Richard, possibly (but perhaps not) mother of ...
    • 1. Richard de Camville, Governor of Cyprus[] m. Alice (a 1143) wife of Richard, presumed mother of ...
      • A. Gerald or Gerard de Camville of Lincoln Castle m. Nichola de Haya (dau of Richard de Haya)
      • B. Walter de Camville
      • C. Richard de Camville (d Acre 1190/1) m. Milicent de Brabant identified on a web site (presumably the widow of Robert de Marmion)
      • D. William de Camville of Clifton m. Albreda or Auberee Marmion (a 1233, dau of Geoffrey Marmion of Clifton and Arrow) BE1883 shows Geoffrey, 1st Lord, as the elder son of William and Albreda. Noting that this was as reported by Dugdale, TCP shows the connection more distantly as follows ...

https://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/cc4rz/czmisc09.php

https://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/mm4fz/mzmisc03.php#marm2

• Robert de Marmion (or Marmyon) of Fontney (Normandy), later of Tamworth (d c1106) m. Hawise Robert is thought to have been Champion of Normandy. He was probably father of ...
    • 1. Roger de Marmion of Fontney, Tamworth and Scriveslby m. (?) dau of Urse d'Abetot
      • A. Robert de Marmion of Fontney, Tamworth and Scriveslby (d 1143/4) m. Milicent (she m2. Richard de Camville)
      • B. Geoffrey de Marmion of Llanstephan thought by some as possibly the same person as Geoffrey of Clifton & Arrow who was father of ...
      • i. Albreda Marmion (a 1233, heiress) m. William de Camville of Clifton

I think we can rule out "Governor of Cyprus" - that was very much a Third Crusade thing.

We can also rule out YOUNG Richard marrying HIS MOTHER.

Found the complete text of the Jumieges charter - situation not quite as clear as Cawley makes it out to be:

CI

1170 (du 5 avril au 27 mars 1171). — Arques.

Donation par Richard de Canville de la troisième partie des dîmes de sa terre de Hautot [-l'Auvray] à l'abbaye de Jumièges qui avait déjà reçu de ses prédécesseurs les deux autres parts,

A. Original scellé de cire rouge sur double queue de parchemin (1) (Arch. de la Seine-Inférieure, fonds de Jumièges, série H non classée). — B. Copie du commencement du xiiie s., dans le Cartulaire A, p. 198, no 336 (Ibidem).

Mentionné dans : Histoire de l'abbaye royale de Saint-Pierre de Jumièges (éiit. abbé J. Loth), I, 278.

Sciant présentes et posterî quod ego Ricardus de Camvilla, assensu heredum meorum, dedi Deo et sanctae Mariae sanctoque Petro et monachis Gemmeticensibus in elemosinam terciam partem decimarum quQ sunt in terra mea apud Hottoth (2) et in finibus ejusdem ville, pro salute anime mee et uxoris mee Adelicie et sequentis uxoris mee Milesente, patris et matris mee et Rogeri fratris mei et aliorum predecessorum meorum, perpetuo possidendam. Quam donationem cum duabus partibus ejusdem decime quas ab antiquo ex largitione predecessorum meorum predicta ecclesia cum ecclesia ejusdem ville possederat, sigilli mei impressione munivi et subscriptorum virorum testimonio corroboravî : Rogeri, capellani mei ; Hunfredi, clerici mei ; Ricardî, filii mei ; Gisleberti de Cantelu ; Roberiî de Coldreto ; Hugonis de Barrevilia ; Osberni
de Odemara; Ricardi Hachet; Willelmi de Barrevilia; Stephani de Chevremont. Actum apud Archas (3), anno ab incarnatione Domini. Mo. Co. septuagesimo. Amen.

Au dos, d'une écriture du XII^ siècle : De Hotot ;
— ' et d'une écriture postérieure : Ricardus de Camvilla.

(i) Sceau décrit par G. Demay, Inventaire des sceaux de Normandie (Paris, 1881, iii-40), p. 20, no 160.

(2) Hautot-l'Auvray, dép. Seine-Inférieure, arr. Yvetot, cant. Ourville.

(3) Arques-la-Bataille dép. Seine-Inférieure, arr. Dieppe, cant. Offranville.

The text as such doesn't fully explicate who was living and who was not (deceased: first wife certainly, parents certainly, second wife maybe, brother Roger maybe). Also, no distinction between subscribing (cosigning) and witnessing is made.

There it is in black and white, though: this particular Richard Camville had two wives, the first one named Adelicie (Alice), the second named Millicent (almost certainly Melisende de Rethel). And one son, Richard, who was his heir - *not* a younger son.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion