Harald Grenske - Disconnection of ancestry

Started by Raymond Simula on Monday, July 19, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 21 posts
7/19/2021 at 7:15 PM

Just curious if totally disconnecting the parents of Harald Grenske is completely appropriate? I think it would be better to reconnect his parents and leave a curators note stating how his assumed lineage may be doubtful due to modern interpretation of the sagas? The theory of his lineage being of Harald Fairhairs descent seems to be widely accepted outside of Geni that’s all.

Private User
7/19/2021 at 9:04 PM

I agree with the disconnection. To believe in the Sagas as perfectly accurate is wishful thinking at best. To me they seem to be bald faced lies to provide legitimacy to usurper "Kings" desperately trying to add legitimacy to their rule. To have the royal line dependent upon an apocryphal mating between Harald Fairhair and an Eskimo girl is not at all well documented and seems very dubious to me and scholars. This decision is unpopular with people wanting to trace their descent back to the first king but is widely viewed as accurate amongst the impartial.

7/20/2021 at 4:21 AM

I agree with much of what you're saying. The Sagas are definitely not an ideal source of information to build a line of descent. I do however believe there is a small margin of truth to what was written in them. If the sagas were completely disregarded as simple folklore, almost all noble profiles from the early to middle viking age would have to be disconnected theoretically. Like I stated I do agree with much of your stance on this matter, I'd just like to see a consideration of possibly reconnecting the parents with a strong note from a curator stating the issues you have already mentioned.

Private User
7/20/2021 at 8:13 AM

Your idea is a possible alternative to total disconnection. Maybe the curators will consider it. Good luck in your search for historical knowledge.

Private User
7/20/2021 at 3:12 PM

But the saga profiles in Geni should be accurate according to the sagas and not what historians believe today, so it is really bad making disconnections and attacking those profiles.

Being related to them or not is a totally different scenario and eventually disconnections should be made in connections where there is no documentation, usually many hundred years later in time - finding reliable lines going behind the black death is usually impossible and should end there.

7/20/2021 at 4:11 PM

What Snorre wrote about the genealogies between Harald Fairhair and his supposedly great great grandchildren is by most knowledgabel historians in the Nordic countries thought to be political statements to give til later kings more ligitimacy to the throne by being a descendant of Harald. There is no verifiable sources to what Snorre writes mentioning these genealogies the way he does.

So, no, they are not going to be reattached to the line back to Harald unless the historians change their minds. Genealogy is about finding veryfiable truthfull links between two persons, and that is not the fact where these have been cut from the line bach to Harald.

If we used Raymond's thinking in more modern times and have a written story from the 19th century where some knowlegable person's (like a few genelaogists of today) have said that what is written in the story can't be true, so it is cut because the genealogists say it is so, but Raymond want it reattached because there can be a small margin of truth in the story. Then we will get thousands of genealogies on Geni that is more or less proven wrong by reputable genealogists, but not cut because they may be a small margin of truth in them. That will be the downfall of Geni as a software because most trees will be wishfull thinking and not based on facts. There is no difference between profiles living in the 19th century compared to profiles that lived in the 10th century, they still have the criteria of being based on verifiable facts and not fantasy and wishfull thinking.

7/20/2021 at 5:11 PM

My “thinking” is merely that their are no written sources from back then besides the Saga, if that’s all we have to go off of then that is not fantasy or wishful thinking, it is what is there. If the curators do not want to reconnect the parents then that is their choice. As it stands then this profile may never be reconnected as I doubt any new information will ever arise to definitively prove or disprove any line of descent to Fairhair.

7/20/2021 at 6:08 PM

That being said I also agree with what Bjørn stated, that the saga profiles should remain accurate according to the sagas and not what some historians believe today. Their beliefs or theories about what Snorre recorded are simply that, their beliefs and theories, none of which can be proven or disproven as all we have for now is the saga to fall back on regardless of some possible doubt.

Private User
7/21/2021 at 12:19 AM

Remi, you always starte that we should follow the sources and not what people happen to believe but cannot prove.

Private User
7/21/2021 at 3:40 AM

In any case: Please quote and name the historians and let us ask him/her directly and put the named quote into the profiles. The last time we did that they denied ever said so.

7/21/2021 at 4:31 PM

Claus Krag: Norge som odel i Harald Hårfagres ætt, Historisk Tidsskrift 1989, 68: 288-301.
Sverre Bagge: Mellom kildekritikk og historisk antropologi, Historisk Tidsskrift 2002, 81, 173.212.

Tor Skeie, Hvitekrist.

It's proven that russian sources doesn't confirm what Snorre writes about Olav Tryggvason and his time in Novgorod, there are even generations apart from the persons mentioned in Snorre and the same persons mentioned in russian sources, read the book "Jakten på Olav Tryggvason" by Øystein Morten.

And there is a lot more articles and books about Olav Tryggvason and Olav Haraldsson that makes what Snorre wrote look like fantasy instead of documentary, but at the moment I'm on vacatiion, so I'm not able to find all of it.

But if you search articles in journals about viking history since 1990 and up till today, you will find plenty of articles about this.

Bjørn, when did you ask a historian about this, which historian denied ever saying so? Since you ask me of naming some, why don't you?

Private User
7/23/2021 at 12:25 PM

Totally wrongly done. Sagas are not fairytales and Skaldes were not "fairytale" poets. Sad to see this got cut. There has to be consistency in Geni. If this line is cut on bases "historians these days think..blah blah.." and not sources, ("winner" writes history) most of trees before 1600 should all be cut here? Bible trees are staying? For me it is totally ok and those cannot be even compared when we are looking at timelines, but this is not right.

7/24/2021 at 2:48 PM

So, Saga, when do you think the sagas changes from being based on facts to not being based on facts anymore? Because they do at some point. I would like to hear your opinion on this.

7/26/2021 at 11:50 AM

http://www.vsnrweb-publications.org.uk/Heimskringla%20II.pdf

Here anyone interested can read the saga itself. Specifically in the beginning it mentions Óláfr, son of Haraldr inn grenski (the Grenlander). Chapter 35 mentions Haraldr and Óláfr as a direct male descent of Haraldr inn hárfagri. Read it yourself and make your own educated decisions.

7/27/2021 at 9:05 AM

Harald Grenske is your '(I.C.(Dz.))26th great grandfather.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
You Ingrida Cinkmane (Dzelvite)
→ Elza Dzelvite (Grahpe,Grāpe)
your mother → Jānis Grāpe(Grahpe)
her father → Baron Arnold Julius von Vietinghoff-Riesch
his father → Carl Arnold Bar. von Vietinghoff
his father → Reinhold Johann Peter von Vietinghoff
his father → Augusta Christiane Isabella Elisabet von Vietinghoff
his mother → Christina Sophie von Rosen
her mother → Johann Gustav von Rosen, a. Kiekel
her father → Georg Gustav von Rosen
his father → Elisabeth Freiin von Khevenhüller
his mother → Freiin Regina Catharina Baroness von Windisch-Grätz
her mother → Andreas von Windisch-Graetz
her father → Erasmus II Windisch-Graetz
his father → Christoph I Windisch-Graetz
his father → Walburga von Gutenstein
his mother → Sidonie von Ortenburg
her mother → Heinrich V. von Ortenburg
her father → Georg I. von Ortenburg
his father → Heinrich III von Ortenburg
his father → Rapoto IV, Graf von Ortenburg
his father → Heinrich I von Ortenburg
his father → Elisabeth von Sulzbach
his mother → Mathilde von Bayern
her mother → Wulfhilda of Saxony
her mother → Magnus Billung, of Saxony
her father → Ulfhild van Sarpsbergen van Noorwegen
his mother → Saint Olaf II, King of Norway
her father → Harald Grenske
his father

Harald Grenske MP
Norwegian: Harald Grenske, Underkonge i Grenland
Birth:before circa 950;Grenland, Telemark, Norway
Death:995;Immediate Family:
Husband of Åsta Gudbrandsdóttir, Queen of Norway
Father of Saint Olaf II, King of Norway
Added by: Eileen Hauge Kjellsen on 11 April 2007
Managed by:Torsten Cargnelli and 126 others
Curated by:Bjørn P. Brox

Private User
7/27/2021 at 10:27 AM

Then Jarl Hákon went to see the king of the Danes and settled with him easily for the killing of his kinsman Gull-Haraldr.

After that King Haraldr took out to sea an army from all over his kingdom and went with six hundred ships.

There with him then were Jarl Hákon and King Guðrøðr’s son Haraldr grenski and many others
of the ruling class who had fled their patrimonies in Norway because of Gunnhildr’s sons.

The king of the Danes sailed his fleet from the south into the Vík, and all the people of the country submitted to him. And when he came to Túnsberg, large numbers thronged to him. And King Haraldr handed over all the forces that had come to him in Norway to Jarl Hákon and gave
him to administer Rogaland and Hǫrðaland, Sogn, Firðafylki, Sunn-Mœrr and Raumsdalr and Norð-Mœrr—these seven districts King Haraldr gave to Jarl Hákon to administer on the same terms as Haraldr inn hárfagri had given them to his sons, with this difference, that Hákon was also to possess there and also in Þrándheimr all the royal residences and land dues. He was
also to use the royal treasury whenever he needed it if there was an invading army in the country.

King Haraldr gave Haraldr grenski Vingulmǫrk, Vestfold and Agðir as far as Líðandisnes, and the title of king, and let him have rule there in every way the same as in times past his kinsmen had had and Haraldr inn hárfagri had given his sons.

Haraldr grenski was then eighteen years old and afterwards became a renowned man. Then King Haraldr of the Danes goes home with the whole army of Danes.

Snorri Sturluson "HEIMSKRINGLA VOLUME I THE BEGINNINGS TO ÓLÁFR TRYGGVASO" (Chapter 15, page 147)

http://www.vsnrweb-publications.org.uk/Heimskringla%20I.pdf

Private User
7/27/2021 at 10:28 AM
7/27/2021 at 3:58 PM

Debra that’s correct the issue here is the disconnect of Harald Grenske from Gudrød Bjørnsson, thus leading back to Harald Finehair through his son Bjørn.

7/27/2021 at 4:31 PM

And Private User after citing this you need to analyze the text. Remember it is written 200 years after the event. And you need to remember where Harald Haarfage's last battle was. It was in Hafnarfjord in southwest Norway. There he faught local chieftains from the west side of the southernmost point of Norway up to where the battle was faught. There is no mention of fighting the chieftains east of the southernmost point and the reason being is that this part was ruled by the Danish king. Gunnhild's sons never ruled the Danish part of Norway which was the eastern part of Agder, Telemark (which includes Grenland (as in Grenski), Vestfold, Oslo and Østfold (regions as of 2 years ago).

The next question would be: Why would a Danish king give a great grandson of Harald Haarfagre a local kingship in the Danish part of Norway, and saing it belonged to Harald's sons when Harald never got to rule that part of Norway?

Then you need to read the stories about Sigrid and the two stories of how Harald Grenske was killed, and how this Sigrid, who more or less was a nobody, was involved in both the Norwegian, Danish and Swedish royalty battle.

Debra, you can't take Snorre Sturlasson's Heimskringla as being a historical account of the things happening during this time, because according to todays historians it's not trustworthy. And if you or anyone else believe that the historians ar uncorrect, you should tkae it up with them.

10/2/2021 at 1:28 PM

Gudrød Bjørnsson is my second cousin 29 times removed.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion