Kaokee "Jane" Patawomeck - ?

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Monday, July 12, 2021
Showing all 12 posts
7/12/2021 at 11:13 AM

Wondering if this person is confused with this one:

Ka Okee "Jane"

I don't think they'be the same person.

I'm trying to help a family friend trace his Native American ancestry and here on Geni it led me back to this profile, but I'm not certain the connections here are correct.

Is there any better documentation for the parents of Mary / Ontonah Winigum?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

7/12/2021 at 11:25 AM

Debbie Gambrell - I don’t support Ka Okee "Jane" and this tree.

Ka Oke is a controversial profile. There is an oral tradition that was only first written down in the 1980s (I think). In that book she’s a boy. In later work she’s a girl & a Pettus wife. I had never heard of this possibly legendary person as mother of a Mary anything.

7/12/2021 at 11:30 AM

Yeah, I don't think the connections are correct. I can only find the one who married a Pettus elsehwere online. I can't find anything on the other one.

7/12/2021 at 11:32 AM

Also, the tree is chronically confused.

Ontonah (Mary) Winigum Is shown as married to Lt Colonel Henry Meese, Sr. born 1618. But that’s around the same time Ka Oke was born, so she has a daughter the same age?

Suggest you consult with the profile managers. If we find MPs, merge. As I said, I had not heard of a Mary daughter of Ka Oke before.

7/12/2021 at 11:32 AM

Don Darrell Reid #MA447440C1 Please assist and provide sources. Thank you.

7/12/2021 at 11:47 AM

The Master Profiles have notes in the “about.” The MPs should be followed and no new profiles made.

—-

wife of Wahanganoche

Name is not KaOkee Mary, her name is unknown. She is said to have been the daughter of Jane Ka-Okee/Thomas Pettus. Her & Wahanganoche's daughter's baptismal name was Mary.

Info from Bill Deyo Patawomeck Tribal Historian 6-5-2019

The name of Ka-Okee’s daughter who married Wahanganoche is totally unknown. It may have been Rebecca, as it would seem logical that Ka-Okee would have had a daughter named after her mother, but we just do not know. She was the mother of Wahanganoche’s daughter, baptismal name believed to have been “Mary”, based on some supporting evidence involving her husband, Henry Meese, but we have no knowledge of “Mary’s” original Indian name. It was not Ontonah, as that was the name of an orphan Patawomeck girl who married into the Curtis family.

—-

I’ll merge the extra Ka Oke.

7/12/2021 at 11:51 AM

Thanks, Erica. I'm attempting to help a family friend connect his lines on Geni and running into the usual duplicates and inconsistencies. I want to document his line as best I can avoid the specuative connections.

7/12/2021 at 11:55 AM

That’s going to be impossible in this area of the tree. Total speculation, no records. It’s too far back.

7/12/2021 at 12:11 PM

Wahanganoche’s wife has notes in profile saying she’s Ka Oke’s daughter. Which doesn’t quite make sense to me if Ka Oke was a Pettus wife, and I had not heard of any other relationships she supposedly had.

7/12/2021 at 12:58 PM

Sam here about the Pettus wife.

7/12/2021 at 1:00 PM

Same*

7/13/2021 at 7:20 AM

James, the problem isn't Ka Okee, for my part. The problem is I have a friend who wanted me to help on his lines and people have tried to make someone he thought was from - Paul Winigum - a son of Ka Okee. When I searched Geni yesterday, I found two Ka Okee profiles, the main one and the one connected to Paul Winigum and I was just seeking clarification, if you read my first post, asking whether those were meant to be the same Ka Okee because people were connecting Paul Winigum's family to Powhatan lines but saying he was Cherokee.

As things have progressed since yesterday, errors have been found in the Bunch connections on Geni and my friend's lines got cut, so he wouldn't even be a Winigum descendant anyway, much less a Ka Okee descendant.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion