Gudrod the Black, King of Man & the North Isles - Who was his mother?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, July 9, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 74 posts

I'm rather proud of my links, if I may say so myself, :D

1. The absolutely brilliant and scholarly Scandanavian Sagas Geni project simply presents the available evidence (sources, records) without bias, with complete objectivity. And I never suggested otherwise.

Everyone has the freedom to accept or reject available sources (or arguments) as we see fit, and to believe whatever we like (whether rational or not so much). People can be persuaded, but never forced to believe (or disbelieve) anything. You may respect one historian, while others may respect another. Belief is a personal, subjective choice.

Language and its interpretation (philology?) is also a consideration and often a source of confusion for many people (including some modern scholars and historians who as authors may be very well promoted and published). Too often modern semantic styles are applied to archaic texts, with disastrous results.

https://procedural-generation.isaackarth.com/2016/03/09/neural-dood...

2. The jstor article does state explicitly that the Sagas originated from actual ("real") family genealogies or pedigrees, including but not always limited to the succession of rulers. In other words, specific genealogies were the primary basis for the developing (and gradually evolving) narratives which needed to be entertaining in order to be memorable.

And it further states that the original (oral, and/or runic perhaps) genealogies were very likely as truthful as humanly possible, and gives sound reasoning for that assertion.

Naturally, as with any history that is retold and rewritten repeatedly (even in recent times, quite notably), differing usages of semantic styles and/or alternative languages tends to confuse students unfamiliar with the original (pre-existing) texts and/or oral histories. Particulary students who do not share or fully understand the cultures involved.

It is profoundly signicant that the term "story" (history, saga) acquired the auxilliary meaning of "lie" and "fiction" so late in the game, following so much profitable commercialized repetition of printing and hasty translations into languages intended in part to reach the masses.

However, truth can only be lost, hidden or distorted -- never destroyed.

3. I found the Smithsonian article surprisingly good and objective, for a "popular" publication -- although my own intent was never to judge the publishers or the author in an ad hominem manner. My focus is only on the actual subject matter itself.

...Accepting available records at face value is often the most sensible objective approach (wherever there is a lack of better historically contemporary sources). And in the case of Scandinavian Saga based genealogies, I fail to see any harm in it...

But back to the Smithsonian article, which certainly does not demand or require acceptance of the Sagas at face value. Rather, it explains quite clearly the importance of corroborating archeological and DNA evidence. In other words, it promotes concrete scientific data as evidence. And I found nothing false or misleading in the article, either in substance or in its mode of expression.

So far, archeology lends significant support to the validity of the Icelandic sagas, at least in part. And does nothing to disprove them, that I'm aware of. That pleases me a great deal, although what I believe about that subject isn't important. The facts and available records stand alone and speak for themselves.

Although I could talk nonstop about early Medieval history and genealogy, I shall refrain so that you all may have the last word.

Best wishes to everyone initiating and participating in this discussion. I respect and appreciate your opinions, advice, genealogical contributions, professionalism, expertise, knowledge, education, passion, and most of all: your integrity and grace. Always a pleasure visiting with you, enjoy your day.

Oops, forgot my other link:

https://linguistlist.org/issues/9/9-741/

Private User — how does this last link connect to the discussion?

I feel somewhat confused here about what are obviously assumptions being made about me that have nothing to do with me at all, and are not - as far as I can see - anywhere evident in my discussion. If this is part of a larger, ongoing (and obviously highly emotive) debate about the validity of the Scandinavian sagas that has two sides defending intellectual? / nationalist? territories, then I’d like to suggest that it is causing a loss of perspective on a grand scale if nobody can even mention the sources without being perceived as taking sides in the conflict.

Private User “We don't dismiss our only available sources and the knowledge they provide in favor of a complete suspension of belief, particularly those of such significance for the history of an entire culture. At least, not without good evidence to refute it.”

To what is this a reference?

• 1.-my point that the Orkneying Saga has an internal contradiction in it (that Cawley seems to miss), but that we’ll need to resolve in order to represent it (at all!) on a family tree? ...How does documenting this simple fact constitute dismissing of the source or it’s significance to an entire culture? Dr. Wilton McDonald II - Attorney & Barrister that seemed to me to be your point too, but I didn’t reply because it didn’t make any sense. I’m literally using the saga as a source on geni!
  • 2.-or are we making all these assumptions about me by demonising my use of the word ‘story’ as an unacceptable profanity about a reified text? … I had assumed that your post about definitions of the word ‘story’ were making the point that a story/saga is not synonymous with fiction or lying, in case that misconception is what was making Reidar Holmsen see this as a degradation. It seemed useful to point out that what I was assuming was obvious (that a saga proclaims itself as a constructed narrative, by definition) Reidar might, for some reason, be taking as a cultural slur.

All history (all writing, for that matter) is the author’s story. This is basic historiography, and not especially controversial. Even the choice to document the christening of the king’s son over that of the baker’s daughter, is an act of narrative intention on the part of the scribe/historian. If, as in the Orkneying saga, the writer foregrounds this narrative intent, then it is hardly a degradation to assume we all understand that they’re invested in linking ‘facts’ into connected events that move the story forward, teleologically. (As Private User points out - Medieval historians took this assumption for granted, as the definition of historical writing itself. That we don’t anymore, doesn’t degrade them.) Hardly surprising then, that some links between the dots have to be filled in - and occasionally this creates internal contradictions. The beautiful JSTOR article makes this point so well. Thank you for posting it - I love it!

Thank you Debra. And did you have another link?

Morning Anne, It asks and answers the question, "How can a philologist/linguist be--or be considered to be--a historian?"

I assert that the disciplines of language and history (including family history) are interrelated, and that historical texts cannot be properly interpreted without a full grasp of both philology and language in general.

"In short, philology focuses on the study of TEXTS, and includes many disciplines (linguistics [increasingly including subjects studied in the subfields of linguistics], study of particular languages and language families, language pedagogy, literature, history, art, music, anthropology, etc.),"

I assert that along with "history", "early Medieval genealogy" with all of its endlessly fascinating, informative, yet often simultaneously intimidating texts -- should be included within the "etc." category.

Reidar Holmsen I agree with everything you are saying about the two sources in your post above. I do not understand, though, why you are interpreting my use of both of them as necessarily a degradation of one of them? Perhaps they are part of this side-taking argument you seemed to be framing me inside. I assume both are written by ‘Viking’ descendants (I may be wrong), so I can’t really see how they’re easily positioned as opposite sides of polarities. Is it that the one is written in Latin that alienates it from being used as a complementary text? (I’m feeling in the dark here.)

Surely it cannot simply be that I pointed to the self-proclaimed narrative motivation of the sage, as opposed to the more mundane documentary intentions of the Manx Chronicles?

How else would you suggest we solve the problem within the Saga that is created by Ingiborg being both Olav’s wife/children’s mother, and his son, Godrod’s, wife/children’s mother? It seems a pretty innocuous point to suggest that the saga writer has obviously joined two dots differently at two different times (without realising it) in order to create the familial continuity that he requires for this to be a saga. The Manx Chronicles give us a version of the info that helps us solve this problem. It leaves out info it cannot find. Why would we choose not to use them together, then? This is how historians work with sources: and doesn’t constitute degradation of one.

Private User regarding this link https://linguistlist.org/issues/9/9-741/ and the application of Saussure (whose Course in General Linguistics I have on my bookshelf) to this Discussion: we are, perhaps, having a misunderstanding about the meaning of the word story in relation to history and truth, that is due largely to Reidar's diachronic understanding talking at cross-purposes to my essentially synchronic point. It would be fun to discuss, but I think it would stray far from genealogy :-)

Sharon, the statement quoted was simply in response to Remi's remark about "belief" in the sagas, nothing more. I alway try to maintain objectivity, nothing personal.

I understand where you're coming from, and if there is an internal contradiction in the Orkneying Saga I would be most interested in hearing all about it. And I see no harm in raising questions about the sagas (or any source) in open discussion for genealogical purposes, as you have done here.

We will occasionally experience some debate, ideas, disagreements, and misunderstandings from time to time. That's human nature. But we'll all get through it just fine and it can be a healthy process when we approach it with the right attitude. I really appreciate very much the opportunity to learn from all of you. I think we all have something positive to contribute to the process.

Regarding my address of the word "story", my point was only that some people (generally speaking) may not realize that the word has acquired auxilliary meanings in relatively recent times.

And I am so thrilled that you appreciate my jstor link! You are most welcome, anytime.

You are also very welcome, Reidar. One never knows when I'll stumble over another link and feel compelled to share it. I'll keep you posted.

Point well taken, Sharon, and thank you.

RE "and if there is an internal contradiction in the Orkneying Saga I would be most interested in hearing all about it"

The entire point of the Discussion is that:
https://www.geni.com/discussions/233827?msg=1485428

Private User -- thanks you for your response! Much clearer as to where things are coming from.

I'm never brief, but I will try --

as to links, and what they do or do not do:

1) the Geni project on sagas does indeed present sources, mostly the primary texts; if any of these secondary sources discuss the problem of historicity in the sagas (which is what I thought we were talking about), it were best to link to them directly, as it's impossible otherwise to see which ones are cogent.

2) Margaret Clunies Ross is using genealogies, and assuming that the genealogies were as truthful as possible. Fair enough. That is not the same thing as saying that they are indeed accurate. If that's something she says, could you give us the quotation? It's a very different thing indeed. And since even in the case of Orkneyinga Saga, which is how this whole discussion started out, we have a contradiction in the genealogy, it would of course make no sense for a renowned scholar to assert that the genealogies in the sagas are all accurate.

3) To say that a writer has not written a scholarly, peer reviewed study is not an ad hominem fallacy. It's just a statement of fact. If I had said that the author was an idiot, and that's why the book wasn't scholarly, THAT would be an ad hominem argument. The Smithsonian article is engaging and readable and interesting and gives some good information. But it is not a scholarly argument about the historicity of the sagas, and the main person interviewed is not an author of scholarly arguments on the subject. So, it's not useful in an argument about the scholarship.

4) Thank you for explaining the philology/linguistics/history link -- it's a good article, but I could not see why it was connected. As explanation, I haven't questioned the work of Margaret Clunies Ross, nor her worth as an historian. I am just saying that she either is not arguing what you think she is arguing, or she is arguing that, but it doesn't address the point.

The point being:

The sagas in general are not valid histories, as we understand history, though they contain (in general, again) much that is historically valid, and are themselves of high value to historians. They cannot, in their entirety, be taken at face value. They have to be interpreted.

And, in specific, since this whole discussion started out with the problem that it contains a contradiction in the genealogy --

Sharon quotes from Medlands: Orkneyinga Saga says Ingibjörg married “Olaf Tit-Bit King of the Hebrides”[982]
But also Orkneyinga Saga records that the mother of “Rognvald Godrodarson, King of the Hebrides” was “Ingibjorg, Earl Hakon Paulsson’s daughter”[983].

-- it's hard to see how we are to take this at face value.

Even this small point requires interpretation.

I'm quoting this Wikipedia article because it is meticulously annotated and cited. And because it is in English. It says:

According to the Chronicle of Mann, Guðrøðr had four children: Affrica, Rǫgnvaldr, Ívarr, and Óláfr svarti.[282] Although the chronicle specifically states that Findguala was Óláfr svarti's mother, and that he had been born before his parents' formalised marriage,[283] the mothers of the other three children are unknown or uncertain.[31] According to the anonymous praise-poem Baile suthach síth Emhna, Rǫgnvaldr's mother was Sadb, an otherwise unknown Irishwoman who may have been a wife or concubine of Guðrøðr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu%C3%B0r%C3%B8%C3%B0r_%C3%93l%C3%A1f...

It is quite possible that since his biological mother may have been out of the 'family picture' for whatever reasons, this son of Gudrod may have been raised by his grandmother. It makes sense to me. Gudrod's wife (the boy's stepmother) may not have bonded with him the way that his grandmother would have.

So I'm suggesting that Ingibjorg could have been Rognvald's adoptive mother.

And that Gudrod's children might not have all been born of his 'official' wife.

It's pretty straightforward for the saga to have said that Ingiborg is Rognvald Gudrodsson's grandmother, if that's what it meant - without calling her his step/mother.

We know that Gudrod's children are mostly not those of his official wife, Fingola - but I don't think it really pertains, unless we're positing the Ingiborg had an affair with her stepson version of events - which is going to make great historical drama, but seems to defy the Occam's razor solution to the Saga contradiction that the Manx Chronicles gives us when it specifies that Gudrod is Aufrica's son.

Olav has an 'illegitimate" son called Ragnald. It seems more logical, if we're going to assume the Saga made a mother/grandmother confusion, to just assume that it confused Ragnald Gudrodson with Ragnhald Olavason.

Who knows? But there is no good reason to conclude that the Manx Chronicles are wrong when it involves jumping through hoops to avoid acknowledging that the Saga is accidentally contradicting itself.

An adoptive mother who just happens to be the exact same person named as both, Ragnvold's "mother" and his "step"-"grandmother" (which is what I meant to say, because technically she wasn't his grandmother by blood) -- is a lot more logical than completely confusing two completely different people.

Amma is the Icelandic word for grandmother. In several other languages, the word means "mother."

Sharon, can you point us to the specific original text where it says Ingebjorg is Ragnvold's mother, so we can see the actual word that was used in the orignal Norse language?

fóstra -- means foster mother, or nurse

móðir -- mother

You'll be able to search the Orkneying saga online if you need to.

"Ragnvold's "mother" and his "step"-"grandmother" (which is what I meant to say, because technically she wasn't his grandmother by blood) -- is a lot more logical than completely confusing two completely different people."

If the Orkney saga is to be taken as given, she would have been his blood grandmother.

In either case, it is still more logical for his grandmother to act as his foster/adoptive mother.

It is most logical to simply use what the Manx Chronicles are telling us about this, given that it is impossible to resolve what the error is that the Saga made. There are several possibilities, and no way to decide between them.

"Móðir Guðröðar var Ingibjörg, dóttir Hákonar jarls Pálssonar."

To answer the question in the OP, Gudrod's mother was Ingibjorg, daughter of Hakon. She married his father, Olaf "Bitling".

There is no mention in the Icelandic/Norse language text that I've seen, that would even remotely suggest that this same woman was also the mother of her grandson, Rognvald, whose mother's name is not mentioned at all in the Sagas (that I know of).

I can only conclude that a translation error led to this misinformation.

https://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5QaesUBUID...

This links to the original language text, where Rognvald, son of Gudrod is mentioned. Afterwards, it is mentioned that Rognvald's FATHER, Gudrod, was the son of this Ingibjorg.

That's useful:

"The king of Scotland became very angry at this, and sent men to Sudrey to Rognvald Sudrey.
young Gudröðarson. Guðröður's mother was Ingibjörg, 478. daughter of Hákon earl Pálsson"

https://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5QaesUBUID... p225

No: better - The king of Scotland became very angry at this, and sent men to Sudrey to Rognvald, king of Sudrey, Gudrod's son.
Guðröður's mother was Ingibjörg, daughter of Hákon earl Pálsson.

Cawley's ref for this: 'the mother of “Rognvald Godrodarson, King of the Hebrides” was “Ingibjorg, Earl Hakon Paulsson’s daughter”' http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTTISH%20NOBILITY.htm#_Toc268450047

is [983] Orkneyinga Saga 110, p. 221.

The main point I'm driving at is that history is oftentimes not accurate and there is a distorted view when it comes to giving ample credit for the roles which people of color have played throughout history.

In translation - here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/57723/57723-h/57723-h.htm#h3-IV

I think you're quite right, Debra

Dr. Wilton McDonald II - Attorney & Barrister absolutely true, but what connection to this Discussion?

Sharon, the problem with Cawley's reference (besides 'proving' misinformation) is that the link he gave goes nowhere. His "page 221" only works on whichever edition of the Saga he happened to use for reference. But he doesn't tell us which edition he used, and/or directly link to it, so the page number leads to nothing.

The actual reference that he obviously misinterpreted (probably simply in agreement with some other published author's misinterpretation) -- is on page 225 of the particular edition for which I provided a direct link.

And since Cawley didn't provide a *direct link to the reference text,* it is virtually impossible to check or to know what he actually was referring to, and/or to refute his claim.

Which imho is not the best model of scholarship.

First, I'll contact him with the correction - which is the great thing about him: he actively seeks collaborative updates.

At some stage -he says in his Intro- they dropped the Bibliography because it had become so large as to be unusable (unloadable online?) - in favour of the inline citations. I agree with you that that made it hard to track - however, possiblly the presumption is that (as you and I just did) anyone interested can find and search the documents freely available online.

What I like about this, is that you are able to check his sources for accuracy. This is a level of scholarly transparency I can work with.

Second, this probably bring the two docs from that time the Manx Chronicles, and the Orkneysaga - into direct contradiction - without the resolution I'd hoped we'd found.

Back to square one :-)

Ready, steady, go....

Jolly well done on doing that spade work, Debra. Salute!

Showing 31-60 of 74 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion