Bernard 'le Danois' de Pont-Audemer de Harcourt, vicomte de Rouen - Bernard the Dane

Started by Rodney Piper on Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing 31-60 of 69 posts

So I must read through this Dodo /Dudo ------

Surely this based on proper research --A Mediaeval Miscellany: Commentaries on Roderick W. Stuart's Royalty for Commoners," The American Genealogist 69 (April 1994)
[RFC] "Royalty for Commoners",

Roderick W. Stuart, 1992, 2nd edition. This book lists all of the known ancestors of John of Gaunt, which amounts to most of the Medieval royalty of Europe. Also see the following article: "A Mediaeval Miscellany: Commentaries on Roderick W. Stuart's Royalty for Commoners," The American Genealogist 69 (April 1994)

Bernard was a nobleman of the royal blood of Saxony, being forn in Denmark, was surnamed the Dane. He was the Chief Consellor and second in command to the famou Rollo, progenitor of the Kings of England. He lived in 876, and obtained the lorships of Harcourt, Caileville Beauficel, after the invasion of Normandy from Rollo for his services. He was minister to Rollo's son and successor, Richard, Duke of Normandy, as well as Regent of the Norman territories during his minority. He married ____de Sprote, of the royal family of Burgundy and had one son and heir named Torf "le Riche". ~A Genealogical History of the Family of Montgomery, pg. 142, Pedigree 113

At least here are some possible sources unlike so many others with Mahala , niks , nothing . At least possible individuals most likely existed even if not definitely related .

RE A Mediaeval Miscellany: Commentaries on Roderick W. Stuart's Royalty for Commoners," The American Genealogist 69 (April 1994)[RFC] "Royalty for Commoners",

It depends entirely on its sources - the number of bs vanity genealogies that have been produced since Victorian times appear to far outweigh the reputable histories by solid medievalist scholars.

Here is my (not infallible) rule of thumb: If Cawley hasn't found the original source and put it on the internet (https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/) you're going to have to be prepared to commit a lot more time to searching for it through historians' (not genealogists') work on the internet than you expect - and it's still jolly likely not be on the internet, if it is indeed anywhere.

--- wicked lady Sharon !

Yes I know many of those !
watching Vikings again and shocking the disregard for time and facts .
someone else told me here on GENI : but I saw it in a movie and everyone knows that is true !
Yeah Right !

cf https://www.geni.com/discussions/106243?msg=775724

Justin Swanstrom
25/2/2012 at 7:36 AM
"Beware of Roderick Stuart's Royalty for Commoners (often cited on websites as RFC). It purports to be "the first time in any language for the publican of a complete known genealogy of John of Gaunt, son of King Edward III and Queen Philippa of England." (from the 1988 edition)

But, it's bad. Very bad. It does nicely with the more recent generations, but there are many typos, and the author is often not able to see that he is giving the same line twice, in different languages, and so not aware of the conflicts in the different versions.

The outcry from genealogists about the poor quality of the first and second editions made it seem unlikely there would be more. But, the book survived. It is currently (I think) at the fourth edition (2010). The author has made corrections with each edition, but there are still problems.

Any citation to this book is suspect, in my opinion. Even if the information happens to be right, the fact that it came from RFC will raise doubt."

cf the Spurious Pedigrees Project https://www.geni.com/projects/Spurious-Pedigrees/10512

Ok - hear you.

:-)

Here is the link I base all my decisions on this link.

By J Gardner Bartlett
Member of the New England Historic Society

Source:

Bartlett, J.G. (Joseph G. and Boston Public Library (1914). Newberry genealogy : the ancestors and descendants of Thomas Newberry, of Dorchester, Mass., 1634. 920-1914. [online] Internet Archive. Boston, Mass. : Pub. by the author for J.S. Newberry. Available at: https://archive.org/details/newberrygenealog00bart/page/4/mode/2up?... [Accessed 7 May 2021].

https://archive.org/details/newberrygenealog00bart/page/n15/mode/2u...

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pmcbride/rfc/l315.htm

Has gone way out on a limb no one knows the parentage of Bernard the Dane. He never married and the assumption he was 43. Bernard "The Dane" Prince of Denmark is well skeptical..

46. Harald HILDITONN King of Denmark and Jutland
[Ancestry Unknown]
d. 760, Killed in Battle
ch: *Princess of Denmark GEVA [Next Generation]
45. Princess of Denmark GEVA
d. ABT. 807
m. King of the Holstein Saxons WITEKIND
ch: *Princess of the Holstein Saxons HASALA [Next Generation]
44. Princess of the Holstein Saxons HASALA
b. Bernard's Grandmother
m. Duke of the Angrian Saxons BRUNO
b. Bernard's Grandfather
ch: *Bernard "The Dane" [Next Generation]
43. Bernard "The Dane" Prince of Denmark

There is no evidence that any of the connections are real, or are documented. Soon as someone mentions the Danish Royal Family and Prince and Princess of Danish Royal Families should be a red light and should be treated as fiction because everyone want to be related to Danish Royalty. IMO!

Not everyone ! My own family rather be descendants of serfs than exploiters they say ------

"Bernard the Dane, the most powerful of the feudal nobles of Normandy during the reign of Duke William I. (927-943) and Regent during the minority of Duke Richard I. (943-955)"

Bartlett does not deny that Bernard the Dane was a real person. Understandably, he has no "proof" Torf was his son, but offers no alternative theory or positive refutation of the long-standing historical claim. So he does not actually deny that he is his son, either.

"It has been suggested that [Torf] was a son of Bernard the Dane, the most powerful of the feudal nobles of Normandy during the reign of Duke William I. (927-943) and Regent during the minority of Duke Richard I. (943-955); but this claim has not been proved."

"TORF 1, SEIGNEUR DE TORVILLE*, a great Norman feudal baron, born about A.D. 920, is the earliest historical progenitor of the Newburgh or Newberry family from whom a certain and unbroken male line has been traced. Probably he was a grandson of one of the viking chiefs of Scandinavia who accompanied Rollo about 900 A.D. in the Norse invasion of northern France where they permanently settled and gave to the country its name “Normandy”. Torf possessed numerous lordships in Normandy, being Seigneur de Torville, Torcy, Torny, Torly, du Ponteautorf, etc"

(It has been "suggested" by Dudon de Saint-Quentin and King Louis XIV, among others.)

You said quote: "no one knows the parentage of Bernard the Dane"

We're not debating the parentage of Bernard the Dane.

"[Bernard the Dane] never married"

We don't know that he never married or had children, and on the contrary there is a very old poem describing his unnamed wife of noble birth. So besides Dudon and Louis XIV, people who knew of him better than any of us here, have asserted that he was married.

The pedigree that you now introduce, while interesting although at the same time confusing -- is irrelevant, because it doesn't reflect the Geni version.

"should be treated as fiction because everyone want to be related to Danish Royalty"

I don't believe that is true, and in any case it is no excuse for obliterating history.

Private I'm not above reading Wikipedia but in this case I'd suggest that you read the French version https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_le_Danois

Louis XIV , Lettres patent for the erection of the marquisate of Harcourt as a hereditary duchy , 1700: “his house originates from Bernard the Dane, one of the lords of Denmark, who came to Normandy with Rollo, who was its first duke , in the year 876 , from which Bernard the Danish had the seigneury of Harcourt and several other lands; He was also governor of Normandy and guardian of Richard I st , grand-son of the Duke Rollo, and the descendants of this Bernard were coated first loads and strong alliances illustrious. »In P. Anselme,Genealogical and chronological history of the royal house of France, of the peers, great officers of the Crown, of the Maison du Roy and of the former barons of the kingdom… , 1726-1733. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_le_Danois#cite_note-11

Dudon de Saint-Quentin shows him as an omnipresent actor from the years 942 -946 alongside his Norman compatriots Anslech , Osmond de Conteville and Raoul Taisson . During this period, he demonstrated a tactical intelligence which, if one can trust the canon's account, allows the young Normandy to outlast the appetites of its neighbors, in this case the Carolingian king Louis d ' Outremer and the Duke of the Franks Hugues the Great.

Twice, Bernard the Dane welcomes the king to Rouen and guarantees him the submission of the Normans. The royal army is deployed in Normandy while the young Richard I st is taken to France to be educated there. But in 945-946, Bernard secretly appealed to the Danes of King Harald “at La Dent Bleue” (Harald Blåtand) to regain control 6 . Thanks to the Danish intervention, Bernard seizes Louis d'Outremer. This ensures capture in Norman hands an important asset to negotiate the return of Richard I st in Normandy. The king is indeed released, then the young jarl is brought back to his country.

Bernard the Dane then disappears from Dudon's story.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_le_Danois#cite_note-10

https://archive.org/details/newberrygenealog00bart/page/n15/mode/2u... places Torf as the likely grandson of Bernard - by implication

Read that thought 2 different Bernards ----

Thx Alex --my Fench atrocious . Italian more my language so all very slow --will have a look .

ok -- German version has Torf as poosible son of Bernard the Dane

Bernhard der Däne wird als Vater von Torf und damit als Stammvater zweier großer normannischer Familien angesehen, des Hauses Beaumont und des Hauses Harcourt. Auch wenn kein Beweis für die Filiation zwischen Bernhard und Torf vorliegt, so wird sie doch in zahlreichen Genealogien erwähnt[4] und auch von den französischen Königen anerkannt, so zum Beispiel von Ludwig XIV. in seinem Patentbrief aus dem Jahr 1700 zur Errichtung des Herzogtums Harcourt: sa maison tire son origine de Bernard le Danois, un des seigneurs de Danemark, qui vinrent en Normandie avec Rollon, qui en fut le premier duc, en l'an 876, de qui Bernard le Danois eut la seigneurie d'Harcourt et plusieurs autres terres; il fut aussi fait gouverneur de Normandie et tuteur de Richard Ier, petit-fils du duc Rollon, et les descendants de ce Bernard ont été revêtus des premières charges et alliances fort illustres.[5]

But sources for above are just 'probably' :-/

similar in all the languages on Wikipedia -- yet no definitive proof for this affiliation / Relationship according to Wikipedia

Neither Dudon nor Louis XIV's much later Lettres patent indicate anything about Bernard being the father of Torf.

There is no actual evidence for this tradition at all.

Wilhelm von Jumièges, Histoire des Normands, Éd. Guizot, Brière, 1826, Buch IV (Französische Übersetzung der Gesta Normannorum ducum).

Relative to this according to Wikipedia
As mentioned above

Yes -seems all possible or maybe but no real proof on any of the sources for Torf as son of Bernard . Maybe -----

Sorry Phillipp - crossposted:

This

But sources for above are just 'probably' :-/

was a reference to this that I'd posted before

https://archive.org/details/newberrygenealog00bart/page/n15/mode/2u... places Torf as the likely grandson of Bernard - by implication

This good example what became accepted common knowledge or tradition without real proof .
Dangerous suppositions ---

We can't truthfully say that THEY didn't have proof of it. Only that WE don't have it now, more than 1,000 years later.

The fact that they are mentioned in official church and state records is evidence that there was proof then.

Showing 31-60 of 69 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion