Walter de Gant, lord of Folkingham (aka Walter de Lindsey) - He was Born Walter van Gent and became Walter de Lindsey

Started by Private User on Wednesday, May 26, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
5/26/2021 at 4:59 PM

Walter de Lindsey

I have a different take on the origin of Walter’s surname de Lindsey, I don’t think it was Scottish in the beginning but became “Scottish” only after his relocation north.

“The Kingdom of Lindsey or Linnuis (Old English: Lindesege) was a lesser Anglo-Saxon kingdom, which was absorbed into Northumbria in the 7th century. The name Lindsey derives from the Old English toponym Lindesege, meaning "Isle of Lind". Lindum Colonia was the Roman name of the settlement which is now the City of Lincoln in Lincolnshire.”

Lindsey means the 'island of Lincoln'.

Lindsey has an area in which large-scale settlement by the Anglo-Saxons occurred. However, a continuing British presence in the region is indicated by the fact that major settlements such as Lincoln, and Lindsey itself, have partially Celtic names.

Lindsey's prominence was before the historical period. By the time of the first historical records of the kingdom, it had become a subjugated polity, under the alternating control of Northumbria and Mercia. Its subjugation may have occurred around AD 500. Its territories were absorbed into the historical English county of Lincolnshire, the northern part of which is called Lindsey.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Lindsey

“The Parts of Lindsey are a traditional division of Lincolnshire, England, covering the northern part of the county. The Isle of Axholme, which is on the west side of the River Trent, has normally formed part of it. The district's name originated from the Kingdom of Lindsey of Anglo-Saxon times, whose territories were merged with that of Stamford to form Lincolnshire.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_of_Lindsey

It is easy to conclude from putting together these articles and the accompanying maps that “Lindsey” was an English toponymic. It was located in the area of Lincolnshire where Walters father Gilbert van Gent settled. Walter is sometimes mis-identified as Earl of Lincoln however it was his son Gilbert de Gant who was the 1st Earl of Lincoln.

I have a note that indicates that Walter van Gent had taken the name Walter de Lindsey by 1116, that along this passage from The Clan Lindsay Society of Australia; “Early in the 12th century David, the younger brother of King Alexander I of Scotland, moved from Huntingdon in England north to Scotland with his retainers, among them Sir Walter. Recorded as 'Walterus de Lindeseya' (Walter of Lindsay) he was witness to several of David's Scottish charters after 1120,” seems to confirm the date of 1116.

https://www.clanlindsay.org.au/lindsay.htm

Private User
5/26/2021 at 8:52 PM

Thank you David for the enlightening, albeit singular discussion on this fascinating man in a time window that is not really understood by most - myself included. :-)

What I have begun to realize is just how these Roman held territories "morphed" into totally different places, names, etc. over the centuries. As a matter of fact, I recently watched a BBC documentary on a free-standing Roman Gate to nowhere, if you will. Archaeology has proven much of what you surmised in your dialog and after reading your shared thoughts, the pieces of what I recently was fascinated by, fell into some sort of understandable order.

Thank you again for your insightful observations. Fascinating read.

Carolyn

Private User
5/27/2021 at 8:49 AM

Thank you for your reply Carolyn,

Genealogy is complicated, it’s more than just building a tree, and my approach to discovery through history, archaeology, onomastics, secondary sourcing, etc., then applying my own logic, or creativity, to create the (a) story is not always appreciated. Sometimes I feel like I’m speaking (writing) into the wind so it’s nice to see a reply.

5/27/2021 at 5:43 PM

Private User, Walter is my 24th ggf and my 24th great uncle if we can believe the trees. I agree with Private User; the history you shared is a fascinating read. Thanks.

Private User
5/27/2021 at 6:25 PM

David Bigelow, you are most welcome. I meant what I said & for what it is worth, it inspired me to pursue further study of the time in history in which Romans vacated the areas of our ancestors (regardless of lineage) & carried on with their lives.

There is much more known about that period of time that we need to understand & I have actually ordered a DVD from Great Courses on the subject. Then I will actually have something more to contribute to the conversation.

Meanwhile, keep those cards & letters coming and I'll gladly share what I discover with you as well. Thanks again for sharing, :-)

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion